Least favorite vegetables?

That is my jam. I try to have huitlacoche every time I go to Mexico. I live in California and it’s surprising that I can’t usually find it. I’ve considered finding a corn farm and asking if they throw it out when they see it… I mean, it’s not surprising that it seems like something is wrong with the corn, but man, it’s delicious!

1 Like

It is all a matter of preparation and freshness, canned peas… gack! peas so fresh they break open with a snap! beautiful and sweet.
While most things are improved with bacon it can be especially true of brussel sprouts. sautee some onions and bacon in a pan… just add brussel sprouts. Delicious!
Eggplants? with no eggplants how do you make eggplant parmigiana or moussaka? no thank you they are awesome!
And lastly bell peppers or capsicums are surely at their best char grilled over an open flame then the blackened skin peeled the flesh julienned and dressed in olive oil, and maybe some fresh herbs… goes great in salad, tapas or antipasti.

It is all perspective I guess… but with that said left to my own devices and no one else to feed I tend to live on coffee, hamburgers or steak s/w’s and BLT’s… LOL

2 Likes

You made me really curious about this whole Brussels sprouts bitterness situation! I found this:

From Culinary Dud To Stud: How Dutch Plant Breeders Built Our Brussels Sprouts Boom : The Salt : NPR

They made it sound like there might still be some cultivars that are bitter, but I doubt those are easy to find, because they’re not at high yield as the current stuff that’s been bred for less bitterness. I wish I had tasted the original stuff… Or maybe i did when I was a kid.

I really love Brussels sprouts. I often just cut them in half and sear the crap out of them in a cast iron skillet:

I intentionally burn them a bit.

7 Likes

Brussel sprouts can be the shit though.

Put some oil on them, maple syrup and salt. Pop it in the oven and devour it… so good.

4 Likes

Not a fan of mushrooms or steamed artichokes :face_vomiting:

but all other veggies are delicious :green_heart:

1 Like

I do this aswell. I add a bit of permesan cheese and lemon zest on top tho

1 Like

Asparagus. Tastes rank and makes your piss smell.

1 Like

which kind of sprouts?

is a cigarette a vegetable? I may take up smoking again

I burn food too! I don’t know why! overcooked is better mostly, especially pizza

2 Likes

Just standard Brussels sprouts we get in the UK. Score the base then boil for the minimum time. They’re crunchy and taste lovely, nothing worse than over cooking them, it’s when they develop ‘that’ taste

1 Like

not my least favorite, but the most flavorful ingredients in current recipes:

@shigginpit
@onthebannedwagon

just two vegetables in the garden, in reverse alphabetical order

2 Likes

I am a vegetable check my roots for proof

2 Likes

squash…I cant eat it. ill puke.
uncooked cucumber and egg plant…allergic to it.

love everything else.

2 Likes

Now I know this is a thread about vegetables, but, you can’t wrap anything in cheddar, unless you are talking about that plastic American crime against humanity, and that rarely improves anything (burgers excepted).

3 Likes

you’ve never had deli sliced cheddar have you

1 Like

Regardless, I’d never waste cheese (good or bad) on dirty bastard avocado.

2 Likes

If you want to mock me put celery root onto that table!
I dare you!

2 Likes

I thought hard and couldn’t think of veg I hated then I remembered dulse. Don’t think it’s popular outside of Northern Ireland though. It’s dry salted seaweed

2 Likes

You bell pepper haters should get into making ajvar. One of the worlds greatest condiments for anything. And very zen and satisfying to make. And I like them raw with liverpaste on rye. I like all sorts of vegs but not all products of vegs.

1 Like

Many of the things listed here are botanically considered to be fruits.

Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, okra, and string beans are all fruits. I like all of these things. Raw tomatoes are occasionally weird to me.

As far as vegetables go, I just dislike celery… because of its un-chewable strings of doom. Additionally, what did a radish ever really do for me?

1 Like

daikon is of the radish family, I will plead it’s case.

2 Likes