List the famous Musicians you have Met in Your Life as a Musician

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/12/techno-dj-derrick-may-accused-of-sexual-assault-by-four-women

:confused:

So solid crew

2 Likes

Worked at Fuse Club Brussels for two years (2006 - 2008) as an event organizer , so anybody who was somebody in techno during that period i met … too much to mention , but maybe a top 5 : Sven Vath , Richie Hawtin , Miss Kittin , James Holden , Anthony Rother … Paul Kalkbrenner , Dave Clarke , … yeah the list goes on … Good times ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I met Milton Babbit during an audition at the Famous Music School in NYC. He was very old already at that time. Since he taught there, I asked him if “The School” was indeed a good place for aspiring composers. He was quiet for a while, then said slowly, " “The School”…is a place controlled by the performers…" :laughing:

Needless to say, I didn’t attend “The School”. Prof. Babbit was very nice, by the way—gracious, with a serious sense of dry humor, and didn’t act like a big-name composer at all, contrary to some stories I heard. RIP.

…a neighbour relationship with bela b…
…heavy drinking with nick cave and blixa bargeld…
…gigging and doing drugs with the drummer of ideal…
…mindstruggeling with max gold…
…gigging with the drummer of einstürzende neubauten…
…heavydrinking, rehearsing, gigging with rammstein…
…gigging and doing drugs with t.raumschmiere…
…arguing with front242…
…producing and finding help with electric universe…
…chitchatting with seeed…
…making fun of steven tyler…
…gigging with sven väth…
…nerding and arguing with monolake…
…hanging out with fad gadget…
…doing drugs with moderat…
…gigging with max rabe…the tightest pro attitude of them all…seriously.
…gigging with kalkbrenner…
…gigging with trentemöller…
…lot’s of lunch with dataline… :wink:
…some coffeetimes with ess… :wink:

…that much, i can remember… others had vanished…
and a few, i wrote and produced for, worked with, i better don’t call out too loud…

14 Likes

Amazing!

@DoS …the only time, i was a little star strucked… :wink:

…since frank tovey once was my very last truu teenage idol, right after that time i took the adam ant posters off my walls…my goodness…
i’m getting old…

1 Like

I was so lucky to see what was probably one of his final performances shortly before he died - so inspiring.

1 Like

Way too many. Was doing quite big shows as “session bass player” back in the day, met tons of metal people in backstage. The goth-scene in Hamburg/Germany is quite integrated into the local party scene. I had a few friends who where very active in the hip hop scene end of the 80th, beginning of the 90th, so I met quite a few people that got quite popular in the first wave of German hiphop artists after that.

The person I am most happy to have met and talked to was Darrell Abbott and his brother back when they still had Pantera running. Both dead today, and both the biggest influences in my guitar and drum playing.

6 Likes

…ha!..holy fuk…i can picture this sooo clearly…

2 Likes

Winner

-2 Unlimited
-Most of the 90s Scottish indie bands
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Urinated next to pop royalty but I don’t piss and tell
-Bought Roni Size’s bass station > Subsequently stolen by a popular Peel band back in the day who will remain nameless
-Jarvis Cocker
-Does Princess Diana count
-2 Unlimited

3 Likes

Met a few, opened for a couple but Andre 3000 the only one I geeked out over. Very down to earth guy.

1 Like

Elvis Costello?

Met many different artists over the years but one that went terribly was chuck d. I was doing a gig with DJ lord from public enemy and I went back stage and saw chuck d, I was obsessed with PE as a kid and their lyrics had great impact and was like my history lesson on the America I didn’t see in films.

Anyhow I went to talk to him and froze, only time it’s happened. I just couldn’t think of anything to say beyond I love your music and all I could think is this guys a lyrical powerhouse and im just going to annoy him.

So I turned and walked back out avoiding a person I’d always wanted to meet

4 Likes

Yes I was doing some visuals at Sinus festival in Basel in 2009 and Dopplereffekt was playing, then I met him briefly at the hotel we were all in, nice man and very serious too.

1 Like

I met him in Buenos Aires in 2018, they did the Mutek festival and I ran into him at the bar of the hotel we were all at, had a pretty long chat about the origins of chill out and how it came back today. He is very down to earth and funny guy. Lots of jokes!

1 Like

A short chat with the Notwist on a little festival where my band played on the same day as them. I was a total fanboy though :slightly_smiling_face:

A foto with Simon Green, where I got my Black Sands LP signed. I basically just told him that he is a genius and how much his music means to me. Even more fanboy.

It would be far exaggerated that I met them

1 Like

I met MC Shan outside Size on Carnaby street. He signed my copy of Beat Biter/The Bridge.

I met Gerald Simpson ( A Guy Called Gerald )
outside Westfield in Stratford. He was unlocking his bike.

In 94/95 I used to hang out with Matt Pyke (Universal Everything) and his brother Simon (Freeform / Freefarm)

I was suppose to go to Australia with a couple of friends, who ended up forming a successful band while on that trip. Absolutely not my musical taste but I would’ve been in that band if i’d gone. They’re called Rogue Traders.

In the late 80’s I was a DJ in a Hip Hop crew. I met, recorded and battled with a few underground UK rappers and dj’s. I met Dolby D ( legendary UK Breakdancer ) at a kids bday party a few years back.

3 Likes