List the famous Musicians you have Met in Your Life as a Musician

I once tried to convince Anti-Pop Consortium to buy a Korg ES-1 from me.

Also nearly inadvertently toppled Bjork while walking with friends through Soho NYC once upon a time.

Also had a peculiar interaction with 3/4 of KISS’s mid nineties lineup while working at an at an army/navy store in Boston.

Also, Kriss Kross came into said store stoned out of their minds around that time, and tried on camo BDU pants…backwards, as one would hope.

5 Likes

Interesting thread. For the sake of remembering (man my memory sucks). I’ve met quite a few, mostly on tours at gigs around the US and UK. The friendliest ones I met:

LL Cool J
Thom Yorke
Noel Gallagher
Moby
Aimee Mann
Frank Black/Black Francis (not especially nice, but a hero of mine so I don’t care).

For some reason I was too star struck to talk to Jane’s Addiction (they were fully rock star’ed out) but I peed next to Perry Farrel if that counts.

5 Likes

You win the thread as far I’m concerned. Love them!

2 Likes

+1! All-time music hero and surpassed expectations to boot!

1 Like

Erykah Badu, Scott Herren, Sam Beam, Eek-A-Mouse, Sister Carol, Edward Ka-Spel, cEvin Key, RJD2, Blueprint, C-Rayz Walz, Guilty Simpson, Boots Riley, Lyrics Born, Sinead O’Connor, Silverman, Blockhead, Damien Jurado, Richard Buckner, Chan Marshall (Cat Power), Busdriver, Pigeon John, Mr. Lif, Gift of Gab (RIP).

4 Likes

For sure. He was cool as hell. Really fun dude.

Love Aimee Mann. Great songwriter.

1 Like

I got in Frankie Knuckles way on a bus backstage at Bestival.

1 Like

I smoked a Joint with Luke Vibert after one of his Gigs in Berlin, 2010.
A very chilled and friendly person.

1 Like

oh shit, yeah, that Luke Vibert one reminds me I also spent an evening working at a festival radio station while Underground Resitance DJ’d
And leant Matt Black from Coldcut an iPod.

the glamour never starts with me.

Ah, the legendary Tony Wilson, nice one - I met him when he was DJing at Turnmills club in London. What a bloke. I bought him a drink, but I’m sure he thought I was trying to spike him (I WASN’T!!).

Shared the stage and backstage with Om in “Vortex” Siegen(Germany) 2013 (as the drummer from Corridors :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

In no particular order:

• Luke Vibert. Shared my first bong - made out of a sink bottle trap. Also had a go on his 303.
  • Richard D. James. Roadied a pair of 1210s to a house party he was playing and then went for a fry up with him, Vibert and the Rephlex crew.
  • Guy Garvey, Craig Potter, Mark Potter, Pete Turner and Richard Jupp from Elbow. Got a lift with the latter to and from a gig they played in Sheffield.
  • John Bramwell, Peter Jobson and Andy Hargreaves from I Am Kloot.
  • Billy Bragg.
  • Gwen Stefani.
  • Graham Coxon. We hung out at his pad after pub closing time.
  • Josh Homme, Joey Castillo, Alain Johannes, Natasha Shneider and Troy Van Leeuwen from Queens of the Stone Age.
  • Ian Brown. I cleaned up his spilled coffee for which he was eternally grateful.
  • Mike Ladd/Infesticons/Majesticons. Bought him a whiskey.
  • Rodney Smith/Roots Manuva. Think he had a Guinness.
  • Carl Barât and Pete Doherty from The Libertines.

Near misses:

• I once walked past Iggy Pop - sat on a throne with a Chihuahua on his lap. Decided not to disturb them.
  • Could have met some of The Rolling Stones (former clients) if I really wanted to. I didn’t.

Probably some others that are lost to hazy memories.

5 Likes

I used to co run a few nights, a house and breaks one in the mid-2000’s and met Future Funk Squad + various breaks people.
Various London Acid Techno people.
Will from the Propellorheads was a good friend of my best mate and met him a few times.
Lots of indie bands at Moles club in Bath
Paul McCartney on a train (he was going to Soho Farmhouse). I was using my Rytm on the train, his whole family got up tried to get off at the wrong stop. I went to the bar (back when they had them on trains) and he was chatting to the staff. He asked if I was making music and what with as he had seen me walking down from 1st class (short platforms, long train). I told him and joked it was a bit lighter than the Mellotron, which he laughed at. I realised it was not going to get better than that and beat a hasty retreat. Very friendly, interested and down to earth.

6 Likes

Is your name Polly?

5 Likes

:rofl:

Arguing with Front 242… i bet they won the debate ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thread is like a pissing in the wind contest.

3 Likes

…no they did not…they simply had nothing left to argue with me, just mentioning later backstage that they’d performed a whole “live” show full on pretending, even head banging included, behind some emu emulator 2, that had not even a single out put cable attached to it… :wink:

hey guys, don’t blame u for playbax in the late 80ies, if ur performing ebm full on, but at least take care that the illusion is half way convincing…come on…

1 Like

in that case, no