Looking for a good midi controller to control external gear including 2 digitones and a digitakt

Hi there,

Sorry I’m pretty new to synths although have been playing piano for about 30 years.
I recently bought an Akai MPK249 to use in my office as an Ableton synth.

However I’m looking for a standalone controller to use at home with my two Digitone and one Digitakt setup. I don’t want to have to use the computer to sync up to my hardware. I also have a few hardware synth keyboards that I’d like to include in the setup but have no idea which controller would be good to use for for these.

I was looking at the Launchkey 37 MK3 as I’m trying to keep the price below £200.
Is that a decent controller for what I’m trying to do.

Most importantly I’m looking for something to input notes into my Elektron gear. Do I need any extra adapters to hook up the two Digitones and the Digitakt?

Also, is the MPK249 that I already have capable of doing this without the computer?

Cheers

Any keyboard with 5-pin DIN or 1/8" MIDI out can work as a controller keyboard for your Elektrons.

You can run a cable from the MIDI Out of your MPK to the MIDI IN of your first Elektron. Then from THRU to the MIDI IN to the next Elektron. Alternately, you could buy a MIDI Thru box, and send the keyboard’s output to each device in parallel.

You will need to tell each device to listen on a different MIDI channel, and then change the channel to the appropriate device on your controller keyboard to speak to it.

1 Like

Why not use the Digitakt to control everything. It offers 8 MIDI Channels to sequence all your gear.

It’s a fantastic step sequencer.

But if you want a traditional ‘piano’ way of entering notes, the Launchkey mk3 keyboards are great.

As noted above, your Akai should be able to handle the job as well via midi.

But seriously try the Digitakt or Digitone first. They both have great Step Sequencers built in.

It’s why have them right? The Elektron way of sequencing :wink: all your gear.

1 Like

Personally I think the keystep is the perfect companion to a few Elektrons simply because it’s very quick and easy to change MIDI channels on the fly so you can target each machines auto channel quickly. It’s mini keys, but they are good to play and it has fairly decent aftertouch.

I recently upgraded to the 37 and it’s a really nice move forward with the assignable knobs and key LEDs when using the sequencer. I’ve used the original for quite a few years and it’s my fave controller. I’m hoping one day they come out with a 49 or 60 key version with 8 knobs that I can use with my desktop and reclaim a bit of space.

Oh, and the Sequencer is seriously great fun to use if you haven’t ever come across it, it’s very unique the way it works and great for just plugging into a synth and messing around.

4 Likes

Your akai should do a great job. What will need some work is to use the 16 MIDI channels that you will have available. And as mentioned above a MIDI box would help. I really like these:

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/m4uex/

Can be configured e.g. as 1 in 7 out.

Thanks very much guys for all your help. This forum is so friendly. Much appreciated. I will consider all of the above. Just bought one of those ESI devices. I’ll be back asking questions when it comes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As Kosmology mentioned above, the 3 Keysteps (original, 37 and Pro variants) are great for this kind of thing, especially as you can switch between MIDI channels (and devices) pretty easily, so you can control a lot of gear with one keyboard. If you like the (very good) mini keys. Keysteps seem to be very popular as they’re so versatile.

I’m fine with minilogue sized keys. Are they about the same size as the keystep? Is the keystep 37 better than the novation 37 mk3 for standalone synth controlling/inputting notes? Im trying get away from the computer a bit.

Make sure to check if your hardware synths has a midi out.

If so, you can already use them as midi controllers to input notes on the elektron boxes. Maybe they’ll have certain limitations in sequencing or changing midi channels, but to avoid buying new stuffs it’s a good idea.

It’s better also if you have more than one with midi out, you can use different keyboards for each elektron box.

1 Like

Another vote for the Keystep range. I used a Keystep 32 myself, but rhe whole range looks just as solid.

I can’t comment on the novation, but I did have an Akai mini before I got the first Keystep and that was awful, my fingers kept getting stuck under the keys. I think the Korg mini range have a very similar feel, but they don’t have aftertouch, not many of these mini keys do I don’t think.

You won’t know if you gel with it until you try it, but it’s a very popular and well loved keyboard because it feels good, it’s solid, has Midi, USB and CV outs, is portable and has a really great Sequencer. Mine travels around the flat a lot! Then of course there’s also the easy channel selection too which is a life saver with an Elektron setup if you have more than one.

So is the keystep 37 good as a standalone device then? Would it work fine with the ESI midi thru interface, or would the novation 37 mk 3 be a better fit for that particular non computer setup?

Sorry for all the questions?

It’s great as a stand-alone device, you can power via a usb phone charger or socket etc… if using midithat’s probably the best thing about it. I often just take that and one of my synths to mess around at the dining table. Did you watch the video I posted earlier? Years ago it was a video by him that sold me on getting one in the first place (and a Novation Peak). If you watch that you’ll get a good idea of what it’s all about, there’s also a loopop video for the 37which is thorough.

Right now I have it hooked up to just the NTS-1

1 Like

How about the Behringer Swing? :wink:

Summary

Sorry, just trollin’

2 Likes

Cheers for the vids, I’m going to go ahead and get the Keystep 37. The ease of switching between channels sounds great. I’ve been using my Minilogue mostly up until now and I like the idea of being able to switch channels with minimum effort.

1 Like

Yeah, even if it wasn’t for all the other great stuff about it, that and a real midi port are instant no Brainer for the Elektron world. I’m sure you’ll love it, most people do. I resisted upgrading to the 37 thinking it was just about the extra keys and knobs, and caved in around Black Friday getting a great deal.

If I’d understood how much nicer it is to use and what a difference the LEDs and the screen make I’d have got one when they first came out. I really love the thing and it’s a good improvement on an already great controller. It’s also nice the lowest key not being an F!

@mikedanton don’t dismiss the Launchkey 37. You get full size keys and ability to switch MIDI Channels as well. Not to mention all the great generative arp features and tight integration with Ableton when paired with your desktop.
Check out Loopop:

There’s no MIDI input which is a big downside and the MIDI out is 3.5mm.

The midi in on the keystep is super useful with Elektrons because you can use MIDI out to send the clock/sync from the Elektron, send the KS midi out back into the Elektron MIDI in so that the Elektron’s MIDI thru basically then sends the Clock and the keyboard output including the sequencer as well as having keys available to the Elektron. In the picture above I’m doing that so the NTS1 is being sequenced by the Keystep.

stupid question here – but i just picked up the cheapest keystep, and keep hearing the keybed on the 37 is great, so perhaps i made a bit of a mistake. do you think there’s enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade if i use the DT as my primary controller, and the keystep strictly for keys?

The keys feel identical to me, I wouldn’t upgrade based on that. They share most features too except for the extra keys, chord stuff, knobs LEDs and display. A month ago I was still perfectly happy with my original and if it was t for the Black Friday deal, I’d still be happily using it.

Edit: oh and welcome to Elektronauts!

1 Like