Loopers

No worries if not. I just need to do a little research.

Are you asking if track bounce is post-fader?

It’s been a while, but as I recall, the bounce feature on the RC-505 was implemented strangely (typical of Roland/Boss loopers), such that you had to enable ALL tracks to bounce. So, if you wanted to, say, bounce a single track with FX, you had to stop or go faders-down on all your other tracks. Therefore, I’m going to say yes, track bounce is post-fader.

Apologies if I I’m not clear about what you’re asking. I haven’t been following the conversation in its entirety, and only quickly glanced up-thread. Besides which, I’m a Boomerang guy myself.

:wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

Might I suggest you just try it, and see what happens? :upside_down_face:

Cheers!

1 Like

more than one song.

or perhaps an extended take of yaks warbling.

at this point it’s up in the air since my looper has 90 minutes of record time.

but alas, no midi and no sync start.

what an unfair world.

unfair world of imperfect machines.

think I’ll have a good cry tonight.

1 Like

:rofl:

fair enough

I think there’s some confusion as to what exactly loopers are for.

Don’t get me wrong, there are no hard, fast rules per se. So, if you can make use of a device or its features to accomplish something it might not otherwise have been designed for, I say go for it.

However, loopers are not meant to be multitrack recorders or playback machines. Their purpose is to capture snippets of audio, on-the-fly, for immediate playback, and allow you to overdub onto that audio, for self-accompaniment, transition tricks, etc.

With that purpose in mind, 10 minutes is a HUGE amount of time.

Cheers!

7 Likes

I haven’t slept enough lately, obviously.

Yes @sezare56, John is correct, You must enable all tracks to bounce, and track bounce is post fader. At least, this is true before updating to the latest firmware.

1 Like

If a fellow would be looking for 10
minute loops for whatever purpose, then I’d argue the blackbox is back in the conversation.

2 Likes

@shigginpit, @JohntheSavage @circuitghost, (talk about preaching to the preacher, lol) I can actually think of plenty of reasons to want to do more than 10 minute loops. Like, chaining whole sets for live performance mixing.

Or really long evolving songs.

But this is the great looper vs sampler debate

And to that I say, run your samplers into your loop stations and performance mixers and you got the best possible scenario. @Clarke_111, this is actually a good example of how I work. Running samplers into sampler/loopers/effects and then into loop stations.

Example: Model Samples into KP3 into mixer with ZOIA on send into RC-505 MKII and blackbox (if I had one) or a synth (I’ve got a few) into Lofi12 (coming soon) through DL4 MKII (delay/reverb/looper) into mixer w/ZOIA on send into RC-505 MKII. Two or three or four even 5 microphones or mono line ins open as well. Stupidly complex? Maybe. Endless fun? Yep.

3 Likes

Ha, I forget how it triggers. Gonna have to check it out.

For the 10 minutes, at the time I bought one it was the longest record time in that price range. Though it didn’t matter much as I got it to lay down guitar rhythms and play leads and bass over them.

When I got my 404SX I realized I could record to it, overdub instruments, sample back. I could also record using the internal/DN sequencer and back so I was happy it had a good amount of time.

So much fun!

1 Like

The akai force has a great looper and with two inputs you can connect guitars, microphones, computer, etc…
The Looper lets you record and overdub audio in real time—a great tool for live performance as well as spontaneous moments in the studio. You can export the loop as a sample to use in your project.

1 Like

Yes, and you could use a hammer to open a can of beans… But should you wish that it had sharper edge, you know I’m going to tell you to get a can-opener, right?

:wink:

Cheers!

I gotta slightly agree to disagree there John (how dare I!?) RC-505 MKII and the next generation of live loopers disagree with you too. Sorry, I know you know your shit, just saying.

You’re welcome to disagree with me. I take no offense whatsoever.

However, as someone who continues to work with many of these companies to design new loopers, I can tell you firsthand that they are equally frustrated with this perception; and that, when gathered around the drawing board, we all agree that the live looping aspect of the “looper” is getting lost in translation.

My analogy is a good one. Can a looper with 3 hours of record time and ample loop storage be used for playing backing tracks, or to DJ a set, or record an album… Sure, I guess so. But to what advantage? It undeniably makes for a subpar recording and mixing environment, it can’t compete with real DJ kit; and in the pursuit thereof, the workflow becomes too convoluted and arduous to use it as a live looper anymore.

This is no different than the sampler vs. DAW debate, and why those who actually want a sampler or drum machine prefer the older models.

To that end, I could also use my DAW for looping; but the truth is, it can’t touch the 'Rang III for live looping, onstage, in a performance situation… Not even close.

Let’s think about this for a second. Serious question: are you going to sit there and record a 3-hour live loop, then tap the record button, and proceed to overdub another 3 hours of audio, then do it again, and again? Never mind live in front of an audience. Anyway, if the answer is no, then it’s not a “loop” that you’re recording, it’s a track; and there are better tools, designed specifically for that.

Anyway, as I said previously, people are welcome to use loopers however they wish. Indeed, there are no rules. But they were never intended for this application.

Cheers!

14 Likes

Dammit. I knew I was gonna regret disagreeing with you. Sorry.

2 Likes

And you are so right that it’s funny now.

3 Likes

Don’t be sorry.

It’s a valid and necessary conversation.

Real innovation tends to happen when we dream beyond the edge, then take a measured step back with the perspective we gained.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Slightly soggy Juno for sale…

2 Likes

The horror!

:grimacing:

P.S. A great example though, of the intended application of loopers, and a solid demonstration of what’s possible in the hands of a proficient musician. Water resistance notwithstanding…

2 Likes

Richard Wagner would say: yes, please!

Its this tinkering that helps us evolve and find new tools. However, you’re right, there is no point aspiring to become a tennis pro with a broom.

1 Like