Loopers

It is but it’s hackable into normal MIDI as outlined in the articles linked in that post. A hardware device was commercially available to do it, so it’s absolutely possible. Sadly the original website selling these things is gone.

1 Like

Midi is a strict digital standard protocol. Midi or not midi. That is the question. Nothing between.

I didn’t read the hole thread but afaiu it is about converting midi clock to a sync pulse signal the JamMan can receive, something like on Volcas, TE Pocket Operators…

1 Like

I am aware of what MIDI is (I was taught by one of the developers of the spec) and I don’t see how the precision or not of the terminology is relevant.
The point is that the JamMan can be synced using MIDI.

I apologize I didn’t read the thread yet but is it still doable without the discontinued device?

1 Like

I tried to sync my jamman with the PO-33 and didn’t have any luck. That said, I’m dumb so take it for what it’s worth!

1 Like

Yup, using an arduino, hence my notion that the RK002 could handle the same conversion but in a much neater package. There’s a few threads on Muffs and other forums about it should you want to do some further reading.

1 Like

Cool, love the jamman, thanks @Mister_Wood gonna waste work time now doing some research.

1 Like

Not sure to understand. The Jamman can be synced thru MIDI that is not MIDI?
Confusing.

It seems to me that MIDI was developed and used as an industry standard to allow devices of the same brand or not to communicate. If it’s proprietary, i would definitely not called it MIDI then.

Concerning loopers, I’m using the Boomerang III since more than ten years. I started recently to link it to my OT. Since then it switched irreversibly to Mute and Serial mode each time i power it. (I have to continuously switch back to Free Mode and Unmute).
Sometimes some bonus LEDs blink.
I also have to deal with the fact that the loops are not stopped by the OT’s sequencer if they were started to play manually.

It’s definitely affected by some MIDI messages but impossible to know which ones. There’s no MIDI chart on Boomerang website and the only info they give is that it can only be slaved (which was not a good news for me).

If by any chance someone has more info about the MIDI and the Boomerang, i’d be glad to hear about it!

I’ve been trying to get the motivation together to tackle it myself but ADHD is kicking my ass as usual!

1 Like

I think it’s converting jamman sync to midi and vice versa, but I’m just hearing of this so don’t take my word on it.

Twisted brain at Digitech found a convoluted way to implement MIDI!

The sync was def cool when my buddy would come over and we’d sync our jamman loopers but that’s as far as I’ve gotten with them.

I specifically stated “basically MIDI” in that it uses serial data transmission in the same way as MIDI but uses non-standard messages. Not directly compatible without translation but that’s why I added a link to all the relevant data.

This might have the answers about Boomerang MIDI you’re after:

3 Likes

So I am not sure if RK002 have a “library” for that purpose.
@grit from Retrokits may chime in…

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you, fast and efficient!

1 Like

I asked and they don’t, sadly. It doesn’t look too difficult mind, appears all the legwork is mostly done, just needs some code reformatted for the RK.

1 Like

Did you send PC from OT to the Boomerang ? (My guess)

Not on purpose but as I’m reading the link @Mister_Wood provided, it seems that the Boomerang is locked on channel 16. I might have sent something on that channel on one project.
Also the fact that “Essentially what is required for best operation is a controller that allows you to set a footswitch to be latched and to send a different MIDI message for ON/OFF separately.” could be an advantage with an OT since AFAIR sending twice the same PC can’t be done within the same pattern.

1 Like

No. You can send PCs with SYNC page (corresponding to pattern), or with midi tracks. A PC change with Midi tracks require a Part change, or you can send new PC by manual change in Note Setup.

Poor PC implementation for OT. No luck with Boomerang if you want to sequence control. Would work with Digis…

With OT I used a midi processor to convert notes to PC for that purpose. :meh:

I have a Digitone at home, i could maybe use it for that. But then i hit the wall of the 8 banks on the DN against 16 on the OT (why in the world did they do it like that?!)