Losing the mystery in music?

5 Likes

Iā€™m indifferent to M83 as I never gave them a proper listen but I agree with every single thing the dude said in the article.

3 Likes

but itā€™s so hard for me to read anything written by or documenting anything anyone has said where every other word is ā€œmyā€.

anyways I think the music industry wanting influencers is nothing new. MJ was influencing soda pop addicts long before any M numbers got into the game.

1 Like

Their early albums are worth a listen. Personally loved Saturdays = Youth which was something of an 80s pop homage but obviously very dependent on your taste! The later stuff is a bit too overtly poppy for me.

3 Likes

man who signs record to major label complains major label are being major label shocker?

:wink:

I mean, a lot of artists are complaining that theyā€™re being made to do ā€œcontent creationā€, but then forty years ago they were complaining they were being made to do ten radio spots a day in every town theyā€™d played a gig inā€¦ itā€™s kindaā€¦ I dunno, if you want to do the ā€œsell a lot of recordsā€ thing, then this is your lot innit. If you want to be Burial, do that instead! Iā€™m going to guess that for all of Burialā€™s cool cachet, Virgin France sell more M83 records than Hyperdub do Burial ones.

At the same time ā€œmusician shouts at cloud in magazineā€ is also a pretty time worn PR opportunity innit.

9 Likes

If you want to be a traveling minstrel be one, if you want to play the royal court accept what comes with it.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think he was complaining about what he or his band have to do to get people to buy their music or go to their shows as Iā€™m pretty sure they could sell out a tour rather quickly. As I see it heā€™s complaining on behalf of younger or unestablished artists. I doubt he sees some shitty YahooNews article as a PR windfall.

As much as I think poorly of record labels the push to be ā€˜influencersā€™ is pretty widespread across all artistic fields and itā€™s just the nature of social media.

1 Like

pretty sure his PR do, or they wouldnā€™t have got him to do it*.

Also: theyā€™re right because everyone on this thread now knows M83 have a new album out!

(although in fairness, he hasnā€™t really - theyā€™ve just cobbled together some quotes from some presser he did. But his PR absolutely wanted him to do that presser. Iā€™m not trying to criticise him here btw, just that selling records is a game, and artists have found elements of that game annoying for a long time.)

1 Like

I think most people find out about new music these days on their Spotify landing page and think ā€œyay, let me stream this new album and give my favorite artist .0001!ā€

Oddly, I found this article on the Drudgereport :wink: and no Iā€™m not a proud boy to admit it.

2 Likes

Burial. Internet detectives made funeral homes cool while looking for his true ID. That mystery was fun.

1 Like

yeah, it was a sad day when we all found out it was just Four Tet.

5 Likes

ā€¦sureā€¦we all drown in uberdiversityā€¦and pop will eat itselfā€¦like everything elseā€¦
there are no good old daysā€¦just flourishing times and dark timesā€¦
all goes in cyclesā€¦and right now, itā€™s just dark times againā€¦tomorrow will be better againā€¦
how long it takes until tomorrow comesā€¦? weā€™ll never know but depends on all of usā€¦
but all we learn from history, is that we donā€™t learn from historyā€¦so weā€™re still doomed to repeat itā€¦
history always goes three steps forward and two steps backā€¦and lately, i guess, iā€™ve learned, one step lenght is around one century, give or takeā€¦

let meeeeeeeeee influence uuuuuuuuu on thisā€¦my wisdom is ur wisdomā€¦of course it isā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦meanwhileā€¦the age of information is also the age of demystificationā€¦no way around itā€¦

but each bad thing is also a good thing in a world of dualismā€¦
damn, all this thoughts of ending thingsā€¦where do they come fromā€¦and where do they goā€¦

all i knowā€¦iā€™m missing mysteryā€¦

Thatā€™s been debunked hasnā€™t it? Looks to all have come from a spoof/fake article?

1 Like

I understand and empathize with the things expressed in his statements, but it really isnā€™t anything novel or interesting.

1 Like

Sure, weā€™re all drowning in uberdiversity
And pop will eat itself, like everything else
No good old days, just flourishing and dark times
All goes in cycles, right now itā€™s dark times
Tomorrow will be better again, but how long until it comes?
Weā€™ll never know, it depends on all of us
But history tells us we donā€™t learn from it
So weā€™re doomed to repeat it, always three steps forward and two back
One step length is a century, give or take

Let me influence you, my wisdom is your wisdom
Of course it is, in this age of information and demystification

Each bad thing is also a good thing in a world of dualism
Damn, all these thoughts of ending things, where do they come from and where do they go?
All I know is Iā€™m missing mystery

Burial, internet detectives made funeral homes cool
While looking for his true ID, that mystery was fun
Yeah, it was a sad day when we all found out
It was just Four Tet, the mystery was done

In this age of constant information and instant gratification
We long for something we canā€™t have, something we canā€™t explain
The mystery of life and all its complexities
Itā€™s what keeps us searching and striving for more

But in a world where everything is accessible
And nothing is sacred or mysterious
We yearn for something thatā€™s out of reach
Something that will always be beyond our grasp

Each bad thing is also a good thing in a world of dualism
Damn, all these thoughts of ending things, where do they come from and where do they go?
All I know is Iā€™m missing mystery

Burial, internet detectives made funeral homes cool
While looking for his true ID, that mystery was fun
Yeah, it was a sad day when we all found out
It was just Four Tet, the mystery was done

So letā€™s embrace the mystery in our lives
Letā€™s cherish the unknown and the unexplained
For itā€™s what makes life worth living
And what keeps us searching for something more.

3 Likes

7fa8ko

1 Like

ā€¦great sad song, right thereā€¦ :vulcan_salute:

and noā€¦iAMBURIAL!!!

1 Like

Not sure about the outro thoā€¦ itā€™s like the Hollywood remake of The Vanishing.