Luddite Teen Uprising

Would be a great band name but I am referring to this:

Maybe this is the new punk?

22 Likes

Next-gen hipster kids stumbling into some pretty healthy ideas

7 Likes

Love the idea of a couple of 40+ dudes making 100% synth music with no analog instruments or samples of them going by the name Luddite Teen Uprising.

13 Likes

If I was younger id join them. For many years now this path of destruction has i feel been anti-humanisation, and the majority of people are being manipulated.

13 Likes

They have foresight into the digital prison that the majority are contributing to. Hope yetā€¦

7 Likes

Good luck to them, I hope that more people wake up to the over reliance on technology and the way it shapes behaviours and life.

Nothing wrong with technology but the direction itā€™s application is being utilised is a different story.

11 Likes

If not for the rejecting social media aspect etc. Iā€™m sure a lot of members here over 40 or whatever were like these kids or at least I sort of see my 13yo self in the article going into the woods to read poetry and such. Iā€™m sure one of them is working on a 'zine but what was just being a weird kid growing up to us is a form of rebellion to them more so than some wild haircut. Anyways, I know the article is just a way for some journalist to have something to write about but I too found it hopeful.

3 Likes

How dare they deny themselves the hive mind?!!! Ban themā€¦ oh waitā€¦

3 Likes

Worth noting that New York papers will sometimes write lifestyle/puff pieces like this that are not necessarily indicative of any trend, but hyperlocal to who the reporters know

7 Likes

Like the irony of ā€œSonic Youthā€.

2 Likes

The Gowanus doesnā€™t need more trash in it, but the world would be better off if more folks tossed their phones into the canal.

4 Likes

Would be interesting to understand how much this is a rejection of ā€˜technologyā€™ (usually meaning the internet) and how much itā€™s a rejection of corporate-owned, algorithm-driven, controversy-amplifying social media ā€¦ seems to be a bit of both.

I wonder how much this would have happened if we didnā€™t have twitter, facebook et al first, and had only experienced mastodon-like services (ā€˜algorithm-freeā€™).

1 Like

Thereā€™s actually some pretty interesting stuff in there. Itā€™s interesting to see that these kids recognise their own privilege in being able to disengage and that they probably wonā€™t be this lucky for long.

12 Likes

Iā€™m almost 50 years old, born and raised in middle class suburbia I fell into the punk mentality pretty young. This gives me hope for the future. Hopefully this movement will snowball. The father of one of the kid mention that thereā€™s no right answer. It challenges the norm.

3 Likes

Every generation seems to have their percentage of hippies or punks who grow-up to be worse / more financially successful than who they were rejecting, the majority just seem to spend most their lives being ground-down by a life long conflict of wanting to live by their ideals yet not be penniless in old age but a few seem to break-though and change the world in a positive ways, like Elon Musk or Longmont Potion Castle.

2 Likes

:joy:

35 Likes

Holy shit

6 Likes

I personally think Musk is helping the digital prison cause. He talks about free speech but wants to amplify voices that subscribe to the platform, thus removing anonymity and his intentions are creating the WeChat of the West.

In the end more online surveillance, no privacy, social credit scores and the mass adoption of CBDCā€™s to control how you spend your money.

3 Likes

Pretty sure there is one of the Luddite groups at the bottom of my street but rather than gather logs and sketch in their books they sniff glue and burn things. Not a phone in sight, so refreshing

4 Likes

What I admire most about Musk is his hyper loom which is 100% powered by re-tweets.

1 Like