LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! For sure, certain tools for certain jobs and all that. But I try to give myself experimentation time to work on ideas or try to develop something more unique.

1 Like

Haha, well, I probably wouldnā€™t call an old MS20 in disrepair a generic analog synth! Annoying, amusing and a bit fucked does so often = character

Sorry, Iā€™m not being clear. By generic I meant the standard signal path of VCO, VCF VCA.

Lyra does not have that path.

Probably worth noting that once set up, I recorded about 15-20 mins that day, running various voices on the Lyra and improvising different arrangements in real time. I used a two minute section for this video, but also used other sections of it for the piece here too: LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures) - #557 by esq

At 4.08, the alarm sounds are pure Lyra, and the chords that come in underneath at 4.14 are Lyra recorded to tape and slowed down ā€“ all material from the same session ā€“ so that time spent can be made even more valuable by making the most of the results.

You know how some people donā€™t like to waste even a small bit of food? I have kinda the same approach with creating! For example, I was working on a film score a couple of weeks ago, and one of the experiments I tried for the director ended up on the cutting room floor. So instead of letting it go to waste, I recycled it by running through a series of FX, pitching down an octave and subtly remixing back into the piece for a little extra something something. I like to squeeze every drop of value out of time and creativity! :man_shrugging:t3: :joy:

3 Likes

Anyone here with an older Lyra-8 try swapping out the 2 position AND/OR switch with a 3 position like the newer models are shipping with? Got the part number from Soma and ordered from Mouser, itā€™s like a $2 part and 2 solder points, just wondering about any ā€œgotchasā€. I guess checking out some of the DIY builds might help.

Mines an older one. While I havenā€™t replaced that switch, I have replaced a dodgy potentiometer on the delay feedback. Once you open up the Lyra youll see how easy it is to repair. Its a work of art in there. Simply beautiful.

Thereā€™s no real hidden stuff, if in doubt check in with soma, but in my case it was a very simple desolder, remove dodgy component, solder new one in. Done. Easiest synth repair job I have ever done.

1 Like

Sweet, thatā€™s what I was hoping!

This is very functional. Iā€™m using it in Bitwig and the modulation possibilities are fantastic.

hey, anyone into Lyra DIY? I noticed their BOM at Mouser + PCB/ICs cost around 230 euro to sum with the missing components(pots, switches, sockets etc.) and the enclosure. I would like to know what is an average cost if you built one and -specially in these times- if there are retailers in EU for the mechanical components.

My first Lyra voyage.

Beginners mind rules k.o.

2 Likes

Sounds like Coilā€¦ dig it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like Iā€™m heading down a bit of a coil/TG kind of a road lately.

1 Like

I made some dope old school industrial last night, just noodling around. You can totally make a beat with the delay, loop it and play leads or atmospherics on top. This is probably my favourite synth.

2 Likes

Gassing for 6 months and looking for excuses to buy and not too. This thread ainā€™t helpingā€¦

1 Like

your VCV-Lyra is also an act of dedication! Wow.

1 Like

On the not-to side, thereā€™s no MIDI, CV control is hit-and-miss (scroll up a few posts), not great fit for control-freak producers who want to automate every little thing.

So is there an emulation in VCV? Need to check it!

it looks like @tnussb made it himself. itā€™s linked to the quote I used of his

1 Like

I used Lyra 8 a ton in my latest film score commission - that film isnā€™t released yet, so in the meantime, Iā€™ve been soloā€™ing some of the sounds and textures from the score, and using them to make videos with my own visuals.

This one is purely Lyra (with a few FX applied here and there) and has something like 4 different Lyra layers, so there is plenty of interesting texture. Thought it might be worth posting here:

10 Likes

100$ discount at perfect circuit!!!

1 Like