LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

My wife just suggested that if you really want to experience hell, you’d be better off marrying me.

6 Likes

Sitting through that video wasnt hell as such, but it was close.

2 Likes

Sounds really good man!

1 Like

Hey watch me buy six Lyra’s and make them all sound like shit

Reminds me of that 1000 oscillator video, which as a video was even worse but at least the drone from that thing was really impressive

3 Likes

Yeah, just got round to watching it.
Went to all that fuss to make a couple of unison bass samples.

Knob.

4 Likes

@Fin25, @Microtribe, @ghostbuddy - you’re not wrong! :laughing:

But hey, it’s his favourite synth of all time!

1 Like

Lyra 8 is my favourite synth, but I’m sad because the plug doesn’t look cool and it’s not stereo and can’t do unison spread and doesn’t have a filter so I’ll sample six of them so I can make it sound like every other synth bassline ever.”

Also, they’re not oscillators, they’re tone generators.

Seriously, the things I could do with two Lyra’s, let alone six of the fuckers…

5 Likes

hahahaha. Sometimes I click on one of his videos and within about 3 seconds of him starting his quasi-philosophical chunter a top Arhur’s seat, be-wellied and with hound, I close the browser and mutter “knob”.

7 Likes

Hahaha :rofl:

2 Likes

Indeed.

The difference being? Honest question - Tone Generator is the danish word for oscillator, so I always assumed, they were the same thing.

Same difference as between a danish and a pastry

1 Like

Anyone with an actual Lyra had a spin with this? Obviously it’s not gonna sound 1:1 but I’m wondering if the general experience is similar. Not spent long with it yet but it’s fun so far

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure of the technical differences, but I think that, because they don’t track 1v/Oct, can only be tuned quite coarsely and have more in common with old organ generators, Soma don’t really like referring to them as oscillators, as it might give the wrong impression of what they do/can achieve.

I don’t think there’s a huge amount of technical difference, but I guess it’s more about understanding their role in a larger system. Kinda like operators in FM synths, they’re still technically oscillators, but it’s more helpful to think of them as operators within the system within which they are operating.

2 Likes

Thank you :+1:

1 Like

I had a Lyra for a year, sold it and got the Lira a bit later. So no actual side by side comparison but I’d say the Lira can sound really nice but the general experience is miles away from the real thing.

I’m using them in similar ways (i.e. for sampling) and not that much for playing live which is why the Lira is enough for me.

For anyone who wonders what the CV inputs do:

6 Likes

I’m GASing pretty hard for the Lyra-8

In my environment I have a lot of layers going. How do you guys reconcile the tuning with this thing? If it’s so unpredictable, how do you play it with other instruments that have predictable pitch?

That’s really the only thing holding me back from getting it. I love the idea of it, but if I can’t use it with other instruments and it has to be by itself exclusively, I don’t know if I can justify it.

1 Like

Tuning? Pah! I completely ignore it. Embrace the chaos, trust my ears, ive never listened back to a recording and thought, oh its out of tune…

However, you really have to open your mind past the tiny limits of the 12 tone equal temperament system.

Unpredictable? Yep sure is. How do I play with other instruments? I just jam along really. I play Lyra in a small band with my mate playing sax. We also use a sampler for background noises and textures. Its all very experimental, but I dunno, the Lyra and sax just work together. We never tune up. We just play. We record everything we do, and some of it sounds pretty damn good. A lot of it is yeah… not so good.

Having said that, Ive had mine about 4 years, and I have learned how to ‘play’ it. By that I mean I know how to get to be gentle, or rough, sweet, or ugly, or just complete bonkers.

Thats the key I think. Always record. Keep the good bits throw away the rest. Essentially though, its a drone machine, so thats how I make the most of it.

3 Likes

Hmmm,
I suppose it might not work for me then. That’s a bummer.

I have some scores that have 100s of tracks with orchestral elements and live instruments. “Winging” it on tuning would be fun sometimes, but I don’t think it would be sustainable or work in every situation I might want to use it in.

Might check out this dude’s Reaktor patch to get a similar vibe

1 Like