LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

Can you weigh them please, if possible? it is interesting to compare with the weight of mine in order to understand how massive it is and in general how much they differ. Also using a tuner really opened up the lyre for me as a playable instrument)

Yeah, I was thinking about weighing them, as the new one definitely feels a bit lighter.

Iā€™ll drop them on the scales in a bit and let you know.

1 Like

When I got my first Lyra I was amazed at the beautiful tones you could get out of it. Almost string instrument like. And I saw a video of someone playing two tuned Lyras in very reserved and beautiful way.

So I ordered a second one, and while waiting for it to arrive even tried to work out some scheme of how Iā€™m going to tune them to get either the largest range, or the best playability.

Because not all the voices have the same range, you canā€™t just tune a scale where the left one goes higher and the right one just follows on from there. I thought it might be an option to have the one Lyra above the other, and tune them ā€˜intertwinedā€™ - so decide on a scale, and tune the first note on the bottom Lyra, next note on the top one, back to the bottom, and so on. I envisioned myself ā€˜perfectingā€™ a technique of playing the two like that.

Anyway, second one arrived, and Iā€™ve never gotten around to actually tuning them like thatā€¦ :joy:

I tend to have longer, evolving sounds on the one, and shorter bursts of noise on the other. Makes for lots of fun when playing them together.

4 Likes

Yeah, hah

1 Like

Yeah, I think if I do tune them, Iā€™ll do it so itā€™s an octave over the two units, with each pair of pairs acting as harmonically interactive units, so I can dial in octive multiples with the FM between voice pairs.

Or Iā€™ll just make horrible noise, weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

Either way, you will be as happy as a Octatrack owner. Probably happier.

2 Likes

8 minute mark. that is awesome. I think my face melted.

1 Like

Iā€™d be grateful for a link to that video.

I havenā€™t successfully tuned the Lyra with the tuner built in to my Zoom MS70CDR, but Abletonā€™s higher resolution tuner in line graph mode works well. Maybe those fancy Korg tuners are good? :man_shrugging:t2:

I bought the cheapest one on eBay.

Iā€™ve not really committed to the whole tuning thing to be fair.

Just had a lovely half hour play with the twins, sounded really good but I canā€™t find my zoom recorder so nothing to share with you lot.

Unlucky.

1 Like

Top tip. Cleartune mobile phone app. Its a free tuner. No cables required. Super quick. For all those " I might ā€˜tuneā€™ this Lyra " moments.

Its the only tuner I own. Use it to tune all my analogue synths.

5 Likes

What about that Polivoks desktop casually sitting to the side though?! Have you posted about that elsewhere? Very few of them in the wild but always thought they looked like a stunning reiteration. With a price to match. :frowning:

Whoā€™s going to tell them

[Edit: sorry, that is rude. Start here and scroll down.]

Thanks. Not having a great day in the brain here so itā€™s appreciated.

2 Likes

The guy has a handful of useful videos

3 Likes

My old one weighs 3.290 kg
My new one weighs 3.412 kg

I canā€™t say that the measurements are completely accurate, but I am surprised that the new one is heavier, given the thinner metal used.

1 Like

My experience is that itā€™s easiest to tune with the voice tone fully sharp while tuning.

2 Likes

Another tip for tuning - to make finer adjustments, hold the tune knob on the lower bigger part.

Canā€™t remember where I heard/saw that, might even have been higher up in this thread, so credit wherever itā€™s due.

2 Likes

Just got a Lyra a couple of days ago. Amazing how quickly it goes from semi-basic sine tones to complete mind fuck

3 Likes

Got it for a very good price off a guy in Liverpool. The filter envelope doesnā€™t work (I can use the A4ā€™s CV outs for that until Synthprof can fit it in for a repair) but it compliments the Lyras quite nicely, especially with the ring mod circuit they added to it. I thought I could replace the Lyra with it, but it turns out, if you really want to doom the fuck out of it, more is more.

They are rare as unicorn shit, though.

2 Likes