LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

WHAT DOES THE LYRA SOUND LIKE?

Jules_Winnfield

2 Likes

What?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this is me after a Lyra session

4 Likes

Sign me up.

How many of you have dedicated fx units for your Lyras? I just picked up a Mercury7 for this purpose (but can also run the MS-20 and whatever else thru it if needed)

4 Likes

Lyra is a device to turn on when you get back from work or whatever and just want to play with audio and frequencies without any end result. Like a piano in that itā€™s a self contained instrument to clear the mind and get into the right mindset for producing tracks. Even if you donā€™t end up
recording and just jam for a bit, I find it helps get into the flow a lot better than any 4x4 kick pattern does. It also sounds absolutely monstrous!

5 Likes

I have an Eventide Blackhole pedal that I got to use with the Lyra. They make a pretty awesome combo ā€” a nice big wash of reverb is pretty fun after letting the Lyra feedback get out of control.

The Blackhole in particular has a sort of dark and strange character to it, which I find I donā€™t like as much with other gear; itā€™s a bit too distinct and audible in the mix. But the Lyra is a worthy adversary for it, the Lyraā€™s sound is so forceful and overwhelming that the Blackholeā€™s color ends up being more of an accent than a dominating force.

Iā€™d be really interested to hear what a Lyra sounds like through a Microcosm.

3 Likes

Sounds like a city, if you want it to.

7 Likes

I was looking for a Blackhole/Space/H9 initially but found the Meris locally first. But I think any of those modern characterful reverbs are a good match for the Lyra.

I ran my Lyra-4 through the Microcosm when I had itā€¦ not a huge fan of the reverb in that thing, but the granular pitch/delay side of it was nice.

But for those kind of fx I think Beads is the best Iā€™ve heardā€¦ if I didnā€™t have a small modular rig for it already Iā€™d get a little Pod20x next to the Lyra just for Beads and a 6hp something else.

image (click for Instagram)

Studio milestone: monitors up, a working surface and the big mixer returns. I left the 19" rack back in SF, and find that I much prefer the mixer in a guitar stand than in a rack.

Space is doing an excellent job of adding depth without muddying the foreground much. I have mild GAS for a newer reverb, but I canā€™t actually find any faults with Space.

5 Likes

Little bit of Solo Lyra, tiny bit of processing through OT.

4 Likes

This new Lyra is way more percussive and rhythmic than my other two were.

4 Likes

Donā€™t they sound all the same?

No, I donā€™t think so.

Different batches definitely seem to have slightly different characteristics. My new one definitely feels more rhythmic and thereā€™s definitely more bleeding between voices.

I could be wrong, as it can be so difficult to make the exact same sound twice with one Lyra, let alone two or more.

2 Likes

Not sure about the more rythmic sound but FAQ n.4 is the explanation from Vlad

https://somasynths.com/faq/

1 Like

Percussive Lyra sounds awesome, do I need to buy a second one now?

1 Like

I have a bunch that I use, Lyra always has a dedicated reverb at least. Usually itā€™s my Zoom MS-70.

2 Likes

HAVE SOMA COSMOS ONE DAY
LYRA8 FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS

RECORDED SOME NEW TRACKS WITH THEM

2 Likes

Not sure when Hainbach got his, but I find listening to him wax poetic about it to be entertaining

3 Likes

The new special edition is absolutely WILD

9 Likes