LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

interesting! can we hear this pls

1 Like

Awesome! This has inspired me to see if I can do the same with s-trig drum lanes on the keystep pro. Could never really gel with the Ornament x Lyra combo, felt like I needed more Ornament channels to avoid falling into a repetitive loop.

2 Likes

Conductivity seems to matter. If I short two contacts with something metal, such as the ground shield of an unplugged USB cable, I get much faster attacks and stable decays.

2 Likes

Got me to get a Ornament-Lyra Adapter on black Friday sale and cables to make my own version of what you did but using my beat step pro as the sequencer. Great idea and very cheap(considering)! I went for these cables as I can then use patch cables I already have.

Going to combine the GNDā€™s per side of the adapter to one alligator clip(per sideā€¦ so 4 CV inputs per GND). Saw it looks like you are only using one GND and it didā€™t look like it was tied across all the cablesā€¦ is this not the case? Again great idea and thank you!

2 Likes

From visual inspection, it looks like the two ground points on the Adapter are tied together. I confirmed with a continuity test. The shields on the sequencer side should be tied to ground as well. A single connection between the ground from the sequencer and one of the Adapter grounds is all that is needed.

1 Like

Let us know how this goes with the BSPā€¦ I have two Lyras and wonder if just one of them along with 2 Ornament adapters could work.

1 Like

Well, hello there!

5 Likes

Since theyā€™re side by side do you notice much difference between the two?

1 Like

Another option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F3K6611

5 Likes

Update: yeah, somewhat of a difference. Could be from random variation, or maybe slightly different build components (as the white one is an early Lyra)ā€¦

Iā€™m getting a second black Lyra next week (both black ones from 2022) so itā€™ll be interesting to compare again.

1 Like

I had two of them together for a few days recently - a mint green one (mine) and a black one (my brotherā€™s). They are both secondhand so I donā€™t know the relative age of them.

I did notice subtle differences between them, particularly with regard to tuning but not to the extent that I wouldā€™ve favoured one over the other.

1 Like

I want that ridiculous cartoon lyra!!! :pouting_cat:
Fakn war and sanctions!!!

1 Like

Stumbeling over this thread or respectively everytime I read about the Lyra 8, I become sad for being so dumb to sell this beautiful little synth, after spending 2 months to build it up from the PCBs. The buidling process was my first bigger synth diy project and made lots of fun. Due to a serios seizure of GAS I stupidly sold it, to get something I didnā€™t need, which I instantly regreted.

To get to the point ā€¦ I have lots of pictures from the building process. I donā€™t know, if itā€™s needed from somebody, who will also build the Lyra from ground up (I saw some PCBā€™s som posts above), but I could some photos. At least I would get the feeling, that the whole process was no waste of time.

20 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Played out with a Lyra last night.

Fuck me it sounds incredible on a big system.

16 Likes

Catch any sort of recording?

1 Like

This is one of the things I look for in a synth/drum machine/ sampler etc.

How will it sound live over a big system. Because that shit is important, and not everything does sound good over a big rig.

1 Like

No, I was pretty hammered by the time I got on, forgot I even had a recorder with me.

I think one of the other guys might have a video clip, but Iā€™m not sure the mic in his iPhone is going to capture the raw power.

Hereā€™s a suitably lo-res picture while I scout out for any footage/recordings amongst the 12 of us that were there.

7 Likes

Crocs Massive

4 Likes

Once you know, you know.

3 Likes