Machinedrum or Analog Rythm with present gear?

Hey Everyone,

So I just started buying my base setup for my physical gear. Been using FL Studio and have Komplete 9 Ultimate, but I really wanted physical stuff.

So I just purchased a Access Virus C and a Moog Voyager.

So what I really need now is a Drum Machine/Sequencer kind of thing.

I really like the Machinedrum, based on everything I have seen it is by far the best step sequencer you can find along with just so many drum possibilites and full song making etc.

But the Analog Rythm is so much newer and has the pad features I like, but It dosen’t do the Midi sequencing I really look for, which is easy to do with another piece of gear.

The DSI tempest would be awesome but dosent outside sequence.
The Roland TR-8 is cool but limited in its functions. Price is right tho imo.

I have read around a lot, watched videos, reviews etc. But I really cant not find a definitive answer on which one I should get.

Any outside help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! =)

I’ve owned the MD and currently own the AR.

I prefer the AR for the following reasons:
[ul]
[li]Song mode and Chain features are more advanced than the MD[/li]
[li]The sound quality is better on the AR in my opinion. I prefer my samples at 16 bit rather than 12 bit (MD)[/li]
[li]Layering analog drums with samples is awesome[/li]
[li]Mute mode, scenes and performance mode on the AR offers more opportunities for craziness; again my opinion. CNTL ALL on the MD is pretty sick though![/li]
[li]The FX on the AR are superior to the MD[/li]
[li]File management is light years ahead on the AR; read sound locks[/li]
[/ul]

But the MD has all kinds of awesomeness:
[ul]
[li]CNTL ALL as mentioned above is great[/li]
[li]The MD samples, the AR does not[/li]
[li]The MD offers flexible LFO routing, the AR does not[/li]
[li]the MD offers 16 tracks while the AR only offers 12 with 8 voices but sound locks solve this problem[/li]
[li]MD offers far more synthesis possibilities[/li]
[/ul]

Buy a Yamaha RS 7000 in a flew market, you’ll find what you need : the best hardware sequencer in a groovebox ever released. It’s a real sequencer, not a toy, with full midi implementation. The only problem (imo) is its weight: this machine his heavy. But for the studio, it’s just perfect.

Better than the MD. I own the two, and I’ve been playing with RS7k during 15 years.

1 Like

CNTL ALL on the MD, i just watched a video demonstrating it being used, but I am really unaware of what the functionally actually does?

Also what are sound locks?

Interesting thought, I have been looking into sequencers for 2 weeks now and this is the first time that one has been brought up, its pretty ancient tho in terms of connectivity and ins/outs…

:slight_smile: this is when I say, download the manuals - lots of good stuff in those

1 Like

As important as workflow is, when it comes to comparing the two Elektrons in question, I would ask which do you prefer the sound of the most?

They’re quite different from each other, sonically.

Get whichever you like the sound of the most.

I say you need an MD purely because you also want a midi sequencer. It’s the most immediate but has a less sophisticated sequencer compared to AR. Also you can buy a used MD for roughly half to 2/3 of list price - bargain. Get a pad controller - you’ll be spoilt for choice there.

Get the MD unless the AR sound and more up to date sequencer outweigh the need for external midi sequencing. Get an MD .

Interesting. Cherushii has the MD but the RS7000 has been at the heart of her setup for ages.
Got the OT now I believe. Be intrigued to see if the RS goes into hibernation.
http://www.cherushii.com
For what you want, the MD covers your bases, AR does not. It does (how do I say this?), have more instantly palatable sounds, MD needs more work. Very capable however & the most fun to jam with IMO.

Looking at the rest of your gear, I’d seriously consider the Octatrack. 8 Tracks of midi sequencing 8 Tracks of Audio, (up to 64 different samples per track (sound locks) .
Plenty of people using the OT for drums.

You could also look at a dedicated sequencer like Cirklon then drive something like the Nord ND2. Not a cheap option admittedly!

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone.

I definitely read manuals, been looking at my Virus Manual.

Blue Wolf I have been looking at the Nord Drum 2 with puppy dog eyes now for a week, it was the first drum thing I looked at and into a lot…

Where might I pick up this discounted version?

to me… the Machinedrum is still at the point where the machine seems to most perfectly match the format. It’s kind of wildly successful for what it does in a single box & only gets better when you integrate it with other devices & controllers.

Can you explain how you think the sequencer on the MD is inferior to the AR? It’s surprising as the AR can’t seq external instruments while the MD can.

Mind you, I’d find it hard to go back to quantized bear grids again…

Also, to the OP, you might want to revisit your understanding of the MIDI capabilities of the Tempest.

Can you explain how you think the sequencer on the MD is inferior to the AR? It’s surprising as the AR can’t seq external instruments while the MD can.

Mind you, I’d find it hard to go back to quantized bear grids again…

Also, to the OP, you might want to revisit your understanding of the MIDI capabilities of the Tempest.[/quote]
Without going into detail I believe it’s generally accepted that the black machines all have beefed up sequencing v the silver machines - micro timing, independent track lengths, Sound locks, etc kill me if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

Where might I pick up this discounted version?
[/quote]
I don’t understand your question?

[/quote]
Sound locks, micro timing and velocity come to mind

Got ya.

I agree, as I said I couldn’t imagine going back to the MD grid sequencer with quantized notes.

But I think that it’s ability to sequence external hardware is pretty important to remember, if that is important in this instance :slight_smile:

What am i missing about the tempest, I thought it couldn’t sequence outside gear?

Also can anyone tell me what sound locks are?

The last OS allows for sequencing note information through MIDI and extends sequence patterns to 8 bars.

A sound lock is where you add a totally different sound to a trig, like a p-lock but adding a presaved sound to the trig, say you hat 16 hats and you added a kick on 1 and 7 and 15.

1 Like

Yes, I discover this on the photo of her set :

I own the RS7k, the OT and the MD. My RS is now very old and I’ve done so much gogs with it! I can’t compare it to the MD, whose sequencer is too simple for the use I need. The OT sequencer is a little bit better. But apart from the Cirklon, the RS7k is renown in the Live PA scene to be THE very best sequencer. And for the price, you can’t compare it to an Elektron seriously. The advantage of Elektron machines on the RS7k, is the sampler of the OT (the RS sampler is just crap in comparison), or the percusive sound synthesis of the MD (the RS sounds more “classical”). But in terms of sequencing and price, no other gear can be compared to the RS7k.

1 Like