Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.08 Released [ Unofficial ]

I kinda gave up using the tm-1. I don’t load samples often, and the ones I do are usually small 1 shots of stuff like world percussion/claves/etc that the MD doesn’t do well on its own, so I can t be bother bringing it out all the time just to update an os or samples every once in a blue moon.
Just wait it out and smoke cigarettes in the meantime.

Edit: maybe Justin would let us store and upload the OS’s from the megacommand sd card? Hint hint nudge nudge…

track one [BD]. setting its LFO to modulate NOTE…doesnt to anything anymore…bug?
[found solution in diff thread]

Hey guys!
Thanks for the work on the firmware. Im having an issue on my new MD mk2 UW (just bought). The update was fine and all works great, but when I double press the stop button ( I usually press many times to stop the sounds) the machine freeze for a variable amount of time ( 10 sec to 30 sec).

If I control it with external sequencers it still works fine, just the internal controls are not responding. I noticed this happens mostly when I have a kit with Ram machines.

any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

HI all/devs. Really appreciate the time put into giving the MD new life… it’s incredible. I’m hoping someone can help me with a midi problem I’ve experienced since loading X.05C. I have installed and reinstalled the latest firmware (C version). and every time I try and sequence the MD with an external sequencer all channels are unresponsive unless channel one is selected as base channel. My favourite sequencer is fixed at channel 14 (which the MD only recognises when in the mapping menu and base channel set to 14). I’ve loaded all previous firmware versions and there is no problem until I load the latest update. Justin replied before recommending I Mae sure it is the right © version (which it is) and no one else seems to be having the same problem so I’m stumped. I use my fixed channel sequencer almost exclusively with the MD so I’m keen to solve the mystery… Any ideas?

You can use a midi message filter to change channel 14 to transmit as channel 1.

If yer on a Mac there’s a free app called midipipe that does that really well. Super simple to use.

I’m sure there are similar for PC. You can also use some midi hubs for that. I know the motu micro express does it. A bunch probably do (if you don’t wanna use a computer). Easy werk around while you wait for a fix. Just suggestions.

ah, nice. I’ll give midi pipe a go for now.

actually you can use Channel Router in MidiPipe

1 Like

I just tested this. MIDI notes are only accepted on the base channel of the base group.
So if you select group 11-14, only channel 11 will be active for NoteOn messages.

Previously the MD would respond to NoteOn all 4 channels, [ 11, 12, 13, 14 ]

I’ll add this to the list of fixes for the next version.

3 Likes

I actually quite enjoyed that it only accepts note on one channel only.
This makes it use less channels when you want to sync it with other machines, by that I mean the transport msg. Only takes up one channel. Would be great if the base group could be set to “—” or only one channel. I think perhaps that was once possible but was removed with the X updates right? I am really missing that feature when playing live gigs, not that I am doing that much right now. But I hope you understand what I mean, basically when you have a chain of several Elektron machines and want them all to change patterns at the same time and sync to midi clock and dont want to control it externally from a DAW or whatever, then 4 channels being eaten up by the group is quite annoying

Great! Thanks Justin.

Is the mkii necessary for these community firmware updates, if not, is there a page that illustrates any changes & compromises there between mki and mkii?

1 Like

Mk1 is fine. Really no differences other than your # of step limitation, but if you use the MCL, the step limitation kinda goes away. You can always revert back to the factory OS. Just backup before to be safe.

Here’s X.04 ona mk1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xgztQRTmPtU

3 Likes

Read about the unofficial OS months ago when I decided to get the MD. Today I finally picked one up for a non-crazy-reverb-i-mean-w-t-f-is-uuuuup-prize on my local classified.
So now a MK2 non-UW is part of my family.

For others who are interested. I just updated the baby with sysex-librarian (changed speed to 32 or 31) and it worked super nicely without any troubles and seems to work fine so far.

And just a short remark: The NFX-machines. What a genius thing! It will be so much fun! Maybe it could be interesting to trigger the nfx with orca…will try that out for sure.

But most of all: Thank you Justin and Yatao for this!

Hope a little thanks and “hello” is ok and doesn’t bother too many people :*
kisses

11 Likes

So you don’t feel so lonely on the “hello” thing, I also purchased recently a reasonably priced MD UW Mk2, and part responsible for this has been the new firmware, which I installed as soon as yesterday using SySex Librarian too and the included TM1 with no problems at all.
I think I could spend years on this machine only, specially with the new firmware…
My most sincere THANK YOU to the developers!!

6 Likes

Hi, I am having some issues with X.05 on the MD MK1 UW. Can‘t get it to run with the MCL when bi-directionally connected. Somehow the MD won‘t start when pressed play. Midi unconnected no issues - starts and plays along. But when MCL comes into play it just reject to do anything…Anyone got an idea? Any special Midi settings to be done on MCL/MD?

Make sure to have MC set to CLOCK REC: 1, in the MIDI settings, so that MC listens to MD’s clock.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint @ninqe. Somehow I restarted the MD and it works again. I connected also the Midi in2 and this seems to create some unpredictable behavior. Seems it is related to that and its related Midi settings.

what’s your MCL midi settings? mk1 won’t work with Turbo set at 8X, limited to 4X with mk1.

3 Likes

That‘s it probably. Default settings were 8x. Will check it out. Thanks @waftlord :pray:t3:

1 Like

I finally got around to downloading and installed this.

All of you that created, coded and tested this will go down in the lore of custom OS builders in electronic music history such as JJOS for some of the MPCs.

Neighbor track additions (on top of the already incredible additions in previous versions) add so much to the sonic capabilities of the MD!

Thank you!

4 Likes