Macs and Malware

what kind of protection are you guys using?

None… :man_shrugging:t4: Just raw-dogging the Internet lol

24 Likes

MacOS.

My browsers tell me if I’ve wandered onto a dubious site.

Not had a problem since my first Mac in 1999.

16 Likes

Staying away from Apple since MS-DOS.

1 Like

:grin:

I don’t use anything either but I’m gonna get a MacBook for my mother, there’s gotta be something good out there… and simple to use

1 Like

No antivirus. Brave for browser.

3 Likes

I bought a Mac for my parents and they can’t handle it. Most older folks are used to Windows I find. Even iPads they seem to be able to manage. But the Mac just seems too hard basket for whatever reason.

I got them a MacBook Air so it would last and not get bogged down by malware, which it does, but it ended up staying in the cupboard and they basically use their phones for everything now.

Even iPads seem to fall out of favour after a few years, they used to love there’s now says it’s unusable due t updates so it stays in a draw too. Phones, at least, they’re willing to part with cash to keep running, as it’s sort of the central device.

1 Like

OSX is pretty tightly locked down. Anti-malware products for OSX are more likely to be malware themselves.

11 Likes

my moms is an avid Lenovo cultist, but I’m sick of fixing it all the time and now she’s finally ready to try something else… macbook it is, probably gonna be an air too…
but she definitely needs some anti somethin…

I don’t even open emails from family members… but moms… well…

aren’t most of these and others in the Mac store though, I just don’t know which is the best

• CleanMyMac X.
  • MacCleaner Pro.
  • Daisy Disk.
  • Parallels Toolbox.
  • App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
  • MacBooster.
  • Onyx.
  • CCleaner.

MacBook Air M1 on sale right now. Malwarebytes works great.

2 Likes

I use CleanMyMac to … mhhh clean the laptop. Uninstall, remove junks and temporary files. Easy to use.

DaisyDisk as well is installed but IIRC it’s to get an image of your disk showing bigger files taking more space.

Honestly an iPad with a keyboard is probably a better way to go. Depending on the use case I suppose. And her mileage may vary I guess with regard to Mac OS

1 Like

she won’t go for it, she doesn’t like iPads

1 Like

I use Daisy Disk for file management but it doesn’t have anything to do with malware and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you know what you are doing,

Not sure bout the other stuff.

2 Likes

Apple since Apple IIc, never had any mals.

had plenty of shit on my PCs from werk tho. lost TONS of werk too.
Apple is good people.

2 Likes

Even PCs these days are pretty good with malware if a person isn’t extremely goofy or going to the darker parts of the internet (piracy or otherwise.)

For most Mac users I speak with in a side-gig, MalwareBytes is a fine check, but I don’t tend to use additional malware protection in my own use.

I wouldn’t just download anything from the app store, not only is there no need but while it’s not as bad as Google’s, at best most of them do very little and charge money for the benefit but there are the occasional malactors.

Tangentially related, but for iOS, I really appreciate iVerify. Not so much an issue of “viruses” but rootkit detecting and gives the user info on privacy and security for their devices and cloud storage.

1 Like

Hastag The.

yikes, that’s crazy

yay bitdefender

1 Like

https://www.quora.com/Does-Apple-recommend-CleanMyMac/answer/Ken-Carriker

3 Likes