Macs and Malware

I use Avast free version.

1 Like

My #1 protection is not falling for phishing emails.

Unbelievable how many people let malware in by clicking attachments/links in emails from a sender they donā€™t even know.

2 Likes

I think my mom is going to be the last person to use windows 7, Microsoft should buy her a new MacBook just for that fact alone

Iā€™m not using any antivirus on mac, but I know exactly what software Iā€™m installing so I avoid dubious stuff, the developer signing in macos works great so any software you try running will throw a notification whether itā€™s a known or unknown developer and you will have a good chance to abort running unsolicited software. for websites firefox with ublock origin hides all kinds of ads and malicious links.
avoid installing stuff you donā€™t know and you are all good!

1 Like

zero protection. never needed it because i dont download random shit.

the no. 1 ā€œmalwareā€ is downloading random shit, opening up random emails/websites etc.

still using a 2015 macbook pro, have not used any ā€œcleanmymacā€ ā€œavastā€ or any of that unnecessary BS apps. clean inside and out.

2 Likes

Safari warns you if you try to visit a non-https site. As if non-encrypted sites are somehow dangerous.

Honestly you should not need any of that unless you like to download the shadiest stuff from peer to peer sources 24/7 like itā€™s the year of Kazaa all over again. There is not much additional software can add that macOS doesnā€™t do on its own.

If itā€™s to protect a family member, I feel like educating them about good online practices will be miles better than any software out there.
Ā« Get your software from the App Store, donā€™t open emails from unknown sources, donā€™t click links unless you are 100% sure to trust the person who sent it Ā»ā€¦

Even the best anti malware will be useless for users who donā€™t follow those guidelines. There will always be the Ā« I made an exception for this file I really wanted, downloaded and gave it admin permissions Ā». No Ā« anti-whatever Ā» can protect from that.

1 Like

I donā€™t click cougars search for studs near your town.

6 Likes

Well thatā€™s no way to live!

5 Likes

Iā€™m with the folks that say ā€˜nothingā€™. Might sound uncomfortable but Macā€™s are a different beast.

Even on a PC most anti-malware software is worse than a virus, on a Mac youā€™re almost definitely installing something worse than it will be protecting you from.

Making sure all the provided settings and protections are on is the most important thing - which will sandbox everything.

Hope she enjoys her new shiny macbook theyā€™re amazing machines!

2 Likes

Main takeaways from this thread so far:

• Donā€™t be a fool.
  • general calls for studs = malware
5 Likes

Malware is very bad.

Been using MacOS exclusively for 10 years or so, no issues whatsoever across an iMac, a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

I use CleanMyMac. Never had a problem with it but itā€™s really not necessary. I mostly use it for maintenance, uninstalling stuff, and freeing up RAM on MBA but it does come with some sort of virus/malware protection- again, overkill.

I also think, nothing. Had a mac for years, no protection, no issues.

As I understand it, macs arenā€™t inherently safer than windows computers, but thereā€™s far less of them, so the incentive for creating illicit malware for them is much less.

Could be talking out of my ass though

Iā€™d blame the non-standard keyboard primarily.

1 Like

my mom uses an iPad, great for her!

Apparently, they could be great for killing wasps

2 Likes

no AV here, but thereā€™s a bunch of useful bits from this site: Objective-See

i run oversight, lulu, and block block, plus adguard to block ads. ublock origin is also good but dropped support for safari awhile ago.

My dad insists on XP. Itā€™s on a bootcamp partition on a 2008 MacBook (one of the cute plastic ones).

2 Likes