Make Noise Strega

I’m thinking that the patching capabilities here will make the non-syncing delay irrelevant. There will be so many ways to make this sound terrific with a rhythmic set up.

2 Likes

Sort of a takes a slice from several of Buchla’s more well known modules and throws them together with a really lovely analog delay. Very nice. The difference between dry and wet signal is quite dramatic in a good way. I’m really liking it.
Also, lol about Nick bringing up PWM right off the bat, with a cheeky grin. He’s really embraced the meme.

5 Likes

What a fantastic live stream. It sounded great with just one, and then he added a second one and wow! Beautiful, lush, deep, dark, floating. Diggin’ that oscillator, and the interaction with dirty delay.

4 Likes

Starting to get the purpose of this delay over dsp. Cortini seems to use it almost as a coloured noise source.

3 Likes

Definitely an opportunity for me to dive back into the Lyra and see if I can “play” it more than it plays itself. I love the sound but channeling it into non-atonal work is a challenge.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is for me but I do like the weird/noisy delay which was also my favorite part of the Lyra. Maybe I’ll finally pick up a Lyra FX module or an NLC Delay No More. The PT2399 can be really cool if designers accept its quirks instead of trying to make it sound like a normal delay.

I really want the MN trinity now. Beauties

6 Likes

Same here, can’t afford the microsound really. Maybe just throw caution to the wind lol. It feels like it would be too extravagant sadly.

Haha I was just wondering to myself if this thing ever sounds not like a vacuum cleaner, granted I’m just listening on my phone speakers but I fear that’s a 600$ one-trick pony

I think Jamie’s demo might be even better: hanging out with audiophiles: HOWA EP 79 - ATOM™

3 Likes

I heard lots of variety in the tones, but there is definitely a distinct noise character.
Processing the external input was fascinating. In the Sonic State video I heard a bit of the kind of dirty density I used to try to get out of the MangledVerb algorithm with Eventide’s Space.

The performance capabilities are a nice “touch”, heh. But honestly this could be made with a few modules, right? It will be interesting to see how it does with them. Drones are popular right now, as are semi-modulars, and $599 with case and PSU isn’t too outrageous. You gotta figure lots of folks with the other two are going to want to add this, and why not? It adds another brand of weirdness to their system.

If I were in the market, I’d be using it as a mono FX processor and density layer, to be played live, like an axe. Brace yourselves, for the flood of dirty karaoke delay modules.

5 Likes

100% , the drums he runs through it. oh my

1 Like

Right?! that’s when I was like OKAY! this is capable of something much more than I expected.

1 Like

I thought his little bassline demo sounded pretty nice too probably not the most versatile at that but I certainly could see it being useful. I feel like it could easily double as an experimental drone sound thing and a take it out live for some bass drones and FX transitions. Pair it with something like CV OCD and you could easily map it up with an electron for all sorts of CC and midi LFOs for when you take it out live. The more I think about it the more I think I may as well give it a go. Especially given that it might not end up totally relegated to my sound experimentation corner.

1 Like

in addition to why not:

1. Make a 2 oscillator voice or 2 operator FM
  2. Wet FX for the O-Coast along with a drone.
  3. Duophonic sequencing.
  4. Krell patches on Todd Barton’s level.
  5. An excuse to build a custom enclosure as a complete device.
  6. They might form voltron.
3 Likes

Hey just start it! I’m thinking bout same things and would love to discuss!

2 Likes

Answering myself here, but I give you an out of tune violin played with a frozen fish in space.
You’re welcome, royalty free…

6 Likes

just because he demoed it with drones doesn’t mean everybody will use it like that.
The 0 coast is a 500$ 2000 tricks pony. I think this will reveal a lot of secrets as well.
A make noise voice with an analog delay. I wish my vacuum cleaner would provide that

9 Likes

Seems to me that Strega is mostly an Alessandro Cortin’s sound generator.
I wonder how far you can really get away from this.

4 Likes

it’s been mentioned it’s pt2399 delay so how come people keep on saying it’s analog? and what is digital delay then? eli5