MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

Thanks for working this out guys!

I have access to a 3d printer. I ll want to try it out for myself first. Maybe i d be able to produce a series sometime this summer. But no guarantees at this point.

1 Like

SD card socket (seems Mouser will not sell anymore, check Thonk)

the yamaichi sd slot is on back order.

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Yamaichi-Electronics/PJS008U-3000-0?qs=nO3wRANIIvnp3f0XwG2X3A%3D%3D

Not for me then:

English translation: Actually Mouser do not sell this product.

1 Like

Does anyone know or have tried buying the 2560 from Alibaba? There are a lot of clones to choose from there, which one is good, if any?

Also, is it possible to put in a LCD display instead of oled to bring the price down? Any place to buy a suitable one?
I’m buying bulk and 40-50 of each so…

@JustinValer what do you think about getting the Arduiono MEGA2560 R3 - CH340 instead? It´s lots cheaper, the difference is it having a simpler USB circuit, CH340 USB krets instead of Mega16U2, but it´s supposed to be good and stable. Difference is maybe 20 euros per board!

That’s incorrect. CH340 is a replacement for the FTDI USB chip, not the ATMEGA processor. That’s what saves the most cost in these clones. Be aware that you need to install the CH340 USB drivers before using it with the Arduino IDE (or any other software).

Tons of arduino knock-offs use this USB chip. Sometimes installing the drivers cause problems on some hardware/OS combinations, especilly OSX. I know cause I teach arduino intro workshops regularly. When having to setup one system it can be dealt with but with a class of 40+ students to set up it can be a pain…

A colleague of mine experienced a complete corruption of OSX on his brand new macbook when installing the CH340 driver.

All this to say that yes it works most of the time but the original arduino’s are much more reliable and streamlined.

1 Like

Alright, great to know. I only copied what i read on a site so good to get the truth. Better to not chance then and go for original. Thanks!

2 Likes

I intentionally tried to avoid these boards.

The Mega16U2 allows for some neat tricks like converting the board to a class compliant USB Midi interface with a firmware flash. (Though we dont actually support this)

You should be able to find quality replication boards for less than 20 euro. Alibab etc…

I bought some SD breakout boards and headers from these guys:
I thought the quality was good, maybe their mega clone is too ?

1 Like

The current firmware only supports the SSD1305 gfx library for the oled.
We don’t have any current plans to support additional displays.

2 Likes

Which component(s) maybe damaged if a reversed polarity is powerd on the unit?

Are you asking a general question?

The power is routed directly from the input jacket to the power switch to the arduino regulators. So it’s possible damage could occur here. From the arduino schematic there is a protection diode on the input

1 Like

i did a mistake pluggin my different power supply!
Thanks for answering, everything’s working.
However sometimes i got a weird behavior in the display of the grid menu, that’s why i asking.

what kind of weird behaviour ?

1 Like

when i load a row the display shows errating slots or even sometimes in the slots we could see the name of the current kit. But it happens only in some case, sometimes it works perfectly well. When it occurs i switch off/on the MCL and i check the global slot of the MD is selected on 8.

MD global 8 selection is normal (see manual).

You might want to run the SD Card test or SRAM test firmware.

If you’re seeing weird characters on the grid page it could be a result of bad read from SD Card. or some issue with RAM access.

1 Like

ok i’ll do that and come back to you.

I run the led test successfully.
Then fail to check the SD card fat 32 formated
Here is the arduino IDE communication
/var/folders/yr/sq3737mn1ybbgfljty6r70g00000gn/T/untitled453485385.tmp/sketch_jul08a/megacommand_sdcard_test.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
megacommand_sdcard_test:24: error: redefinition of ‘void setup()’
void setup()
^
/var/folders/yr/sq3737mn1ybbgfljty6r70g00000gn/T/untitled453485385.tmp/sketch_jul08a/sketch_jul08a.ino:1:6: note: ‘void setup()’ previously defined here
void setup() {
^
/var/folders/yr/sq3737mn1ybbgfljty6r70g00000gn/T/untitled453485385.tmp/sketch_jul08a/megacommand_sdcard_test.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:
megacommand_sdcard_test:150: error: redefinition of ‘void loop()’
void loop()
^
/var/folders/yr/sq3737mn1ybbgfljty6r70g00000gn/T/untitled453485385.tmp/sketch_jul08a/sketch_jul08a.ino:6:6: note: ‘void loop()’ previously defined here
void loop() {
^
exit status 1
redefinition of ‘void setup()’

Which board configuration are you using?
The test firmwares should be compiled with Arduino 2560 configuration – if you use ‘MegaCommand’ there will be redefinitions.

2 Likes

Sorry i get what you mean! The 2560 board was still on the MC during the compilation, it cannot work like this.
The sd Card verification monitor is showing writing iterations. Fine!
i go for the SRam test

1 Like

Now i want to upload the Sram sketch without success… I do the same thing as for the SD card test ino but the sram ino refuse to upload!Any idea? Maybe i made a mistake somewhere?