MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

Does it compile?

The Sram Test didin’t, i don’t know why, try it many times without success.
But then i realize that i had compiled the MCL .Hex firmware on the arduino 2560 board only, so i flashed it again with the arduino connected to the MC and now it seems working perfectly. I’ll play all the day with so i’ll see :slight_smile:
I read somewhere the extension ports maybe connected to CV/GATE?

Hey guys,
good news for everyone that ordered with / from our group. Today, i received the 50 PCB´s!
Now i´m trying to finalize the info regarding who wants what (just PCB, full kit, partial kit and so on) so check your mail if you´re on the list.

4 Likes

Do you have any extra boards that are unclaimed?

There are a small number without anything planned for them… Send me a PM and i can sacrifice one of mine.

Hi Justin,
I think i have an issue with the grid menu.
I try to explain : i want to jump in auto mode (1 loop) from Row 0 => Row 1 => Row 2 => back to Row 0 with all slots activated on each row.
I chain from row 0 with S2 to select all the slots, it goes well, then when Auto jumping to Row 1, only Slot 1 is active on it when the other slots are still activated but on Row 0.
Not easy to explain. A video should be more comprehensive.
I just want to chain several rows in auto mode with all the slots activated each time (like chaining complete tracks, not only a part of it mixed with others).
When i manual mode it works but i have to chain the Rows (with all slots/tracks) myself.

Yes, this is exactly what you can do. It’s probably not working as you expect because your tracks are of different length.

The next transition step for a slot is determined by the track length multiplied by the number of LOOPS you specify in the slot menu.

You need to make sure the tracks on the same ROW are all the same length if you want all slots on a row to transition at the same time. Alternatively you could increase LOOP count to compensate for shorter tracks.

For example

T1  T2  T3  T4 
LENGTH  16  16  32  64
LOOPS   4   4   2   1

The four tracks above will all transition at the same time. even though they have different lengths.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

1 Like

I understand, it totally make sense.
It works (in fact i didn’t realize EACH slot has can be independantly set).
Now i have again troubles with the grid display showing errating slots and characters.
I have to try again the Sram test refusing to upload.
When you upload the Hex firmware, is the 2560 board has to be connected with the MC PCB or can it be compiled just alone?

The 2560 can be firmware flashed without being connected to the MC board. However, the external SRAM is on the MC board. In order for the SRAM firmware to do anything useful, the two must be connected.

The output of the SRAM test is transmitted over the USB serial interface, visible in the arduino serial monitor.

1 Like

yes that’s what i have seen with the SD card test.
the Sram test is the last one i have to check to be sure there is no issue with the hardware.
When i upload the Hex firmware everything seems ok, but playing in the grid menu shows me it’s not !

Yes, Please run the SRAM test firmware and report back the results.

For anyone else reading this, who is building a MegaCommand. The test firmwares should be run at the end of each assembly stage. As outlined in the MegaCommand build instructions.

1 Like

Problem was : faulty connection SDA (20) SCL (21). Pin connector problem between PCB & Atmega 2560…
Now all is perfect and i understand the behavior of the Grid! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your assistance.

3 Likes

@JustinValer and for anyone that can answer:

I have most of the stuff covered from Mouser, i think. However, there are a few items that eludes me - or i´m unsure if they are right for the build.

Since i´m gathering components for maybe 40+ builders in total, i feel it´s quite important to get the orders right.

The sd card reader will be ordered from Thonk, the display from Buydisplay and the rest from Mouser i hope.

Mainly it´s the Arduino headers that i´m unsure about. Does anyone have a complete list with mouser article id´s for the headers needed? Of maybe there is a set that contains all the headers needed?

The things i´m unsure of in my BOM/cart (based on the latest and some other people´s BOM´s) are these. I can, of course, send the link to the cart so you can check it out instead if it´s easier? let me know!

Are these mouser parts correct and needed and is the amount right? If not, can you recommend alternatives?

1 * 785-FR-01
Manufacturer: Honeywell
Desc.: Switch Contact Blocks / Switch Kits SPDT 3POS 12V@125V Non-Lighted, Rect

(note - pretty sure this might collide with the E-Switch 612-EG1218 " Slide Switches PC MNT 3 PIN SLIDE" that i also have in the cart?)

1 * 474-COM-15107
Manufacturer: SparkFun Electronics
Desc.: SparkFun Accessories microSD Card - 1GB (Class 4)

(note - does this work OK with MegaCommand?)

3 * 485-85
Manufacturer: Adafruit
Desc: Adafruit Accessories Shield stacking headers for Arduino (R3 Compatible)

1 * 485-400
Manufacturer: Adafruit
Desc.: Adafruit Accessories 16-pin Male Header Breakaway 5 pieces

3 * 649-68004-236
Manufacturer: FCI / Amphenol
Desc.: Headers & Wire Housings B/S II.100CC SR STRAIGHT

2 * 474-PRT-09279
Manufacturer: SparkFun Electronics
Desc.: SparkFun Accessories Arduino Stackable Header - 8 Pin

Thanks for your help from all of us in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi,

regarding the robotdyn site, i´ve seen it before too - is it possible to get the headers needed for the MCL project there too?

Thanks for the link btw. :slight_smile:
I understand maybe i asked too much in the last mail but i would like to get as much as possible from mouser right for this big order - with up to 50 repeats of the same cart.

By the way, here´s the mouser cart that i´m working on:

https://eu.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?State=EDIT&ProjectGUID=bc360437-4a7b-4ea2-a7ba-9e6e2360213e

Still under construction of course since some stuff are backordered, and the Yamaichi reader is just there as a reminder.

I´d be happy if you and / or you guys that have completed the build using the latest BOM could have a look, when you have time. Just a sanity check, see if there´s stuff missing or stuff i don´t need.

@mbang I didn’t buy the headers from mouser. They were easier to find / cheaper to buy in bulk from other suppliers.

My current work + development schedule doesn’t afford me much time. Perhaps one of the recent builders here can help you out in checking your bom.

@nicoj ?

Thanks

1 Like

@JustinValer totally understand, no problem - thanks for replying anyway. :slight_smile: And thanks a lot for everything!

@nicoj i would just totally appreciate examples or links to the components you got for connecting the MegaCommand board to the Mega 2560 board, some items on the BOM soes not make sense to me. Isn´t it just something similar to this that i need to connect the MCL to the 2560 headers? Just break off the ones i need and solder to the MCL board…

(just an example, i would appreciate link to correct item(s)

From the BOM, where can i source these for example? Mouser must be able to have at least some?

STACKABLE ARDUINO HEADER BREAKAWAY MALE 13mm Length:

1 PINHD-1X8BIG X08-BIG JP1 PIN HEADER

4 8x1 PINHD-1X8 1X08 ADCL, COMMUNICATION, POWER, PWML PIN HEADER

1 18x2 PINHD-2X18 2X18 XIO PIN HEADER

1 10x1 PINHD-1X10_ARD 1X10 JP6 PIN HEADER

1 20x1 20PIN 20PIN U$2

ARDUINO MINI HEADERS FEMALE (5mm height).

2 PINHD-1X10 PINHD-1X10 EXP_L, EXP_R Pin header 1x10 0.1" spacing
1 PINHD-1X3 POWER SWITCH RAISER.

You’ve to check the male lenght too.
I did the BOM shared here, and as wrote, I prefer to buy the headers to my local electronic shop as I can check them directly and they cost less than usual headers at Mouser.
One place where I find them quite easily with good details and descriptions is tme.eu (EU based).

2 Likes

Rics, i think i will do what you suggest. Rather than chancing on components i will provide the 95-98% needed for the build, and the rest ppl will have to source themselves.
Advantages: cheaper probably, less chance of mistakes, i have the possibility to recommend stuff in advance, and no need for costly re-order due to mistakes. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pins for the arduino are slightly longer than a normal header pin.
11.5mm

I also did not order special pins for the headers that are 2 pins wide on the end of the arduino. I just cut single row pins.