Meris LVX

I’m a big Meris fan and I want to love this pedal, but I guess I’m just not the market for this. It sounds good in this last shared demo, but I find multiFX pedals hard to use and implement into my audio chain and I’ve come to prefer dedicated effects for the added flexibility and multi-timbrality.

Still hope Meris sells many of these as they are a company I’d love to see thrive.

3 Likes

I really like this Richard Devine demo.

3 Likes

big miss on all fronts imo

1. UI is not just ugly but plain tragic. Text mode is better but still lacks in usability. Must be a nightmare for ADD/ADHD people. Would be much more logical to organise it in pages for each section, ala Elektron, in 2x3 matrix with encoders for each item.

2. the more serious flaw is… functionality. All its array of options are actually multi-FX addons, focusing on TONAL shaping rather than STRUCTURAL control. In h/w department something like Empress Echosystem or EQD’s Disaster Sr are miles ahead in terms of actual DELAY control and playability, while in s/w even a Logic’s buil-in ‘multitap delay’ plugin is a monster compared to this. So despite its looks and mojo, LVX is a very traditional unit in the end, and messy too. You pack a modern system on chip, an OS, only to do this tone-shaping monster? I fail to understand this. There’s no real control over delays apart from divisions, even a simple SERIAL mode is missing. Huge L here.

3. the name is traditionalistic to a point of being unfortunate too. There was a discussion on TGP where a guy who brought this aspect up was collectively ostracised, but I feel it’s definitely worth mentioning, esp. in today’s world: was it so necessary to go for LVX while being an Italian company, without a lineage of Latin-named pedals, just for fun? for those who don’t know, just google “dvx mea lvx”

3 Likes

To each their own, I suppose. I think the UI of something like Polyend tracker or Play to be hideous. Using the word tragic seems a bit hyperbolic and way too emotionally invested? Maybe just me… I find the UI seemingly workable (without having seen one up close or touched it). The box is a box. With knobs. No different than thousands of other similar boxes.
After reading the manual, I’d agree though there isn’t as much structural control as one might think befitting a modular device. Hopefully updates change that. I am eager to try the tone shaping capabilities, so those seem only a positive atm.
On the last point. I’d just point out that Lvx only means light. Just because someone said a fascist phrase or more accurately tied fascist philosophy to a Latin phrase doesn’t ruin the word lvx or lux. Google what symbology the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn attached to the word lvx for a different take.

4 Likes

you take that back :speak_no_evil:

the polyend tracker is the most beautiful instrument out in recent memory besides the mpc retro and if you didn’t have your own opinion I would certainly give you mine dammit :boom:

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d love this on my pedal board but I just cant see past the price, for roughly same price I’d rather just get two other meris pedals instead of this to go along with my enzo. Or a red panda raster v2 and another meris pedal.

To get me to pay for one I’d have to try one in a store and be taken in by the sound (unlikely as run of mill guitar stores won’t stock stuff like this) so just can’t see me getting it.

I can’t and still hold to my subjective beliefs concerning what’s attractive and what’s not. But keep rocking the tracker. It seems like a fine machine lvx notwithstanding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

okay… but if the Polyend Tracker isn’t beautiful then what is?
name an instrument or pedal in this context that you think looks great?

Umm… this LVX pedal looks nice to me. Clean lines, uncluttered interface. I think the new elektrons look great (as far as complex boxes with knobs go). I guess I’m not a huge fan of boxes with many rows of multi-coloured back-lit buttons. Elektrons’ boxes are the limit for me in that regard, probably.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of the chiclet color schemes either, I love Meris pedals but I don’t think they look that great, I guess for how I use them I wish they looked more old timey sci-fi with an old radiophonic look to them… but the lvx is ok, meris seems committed to the vibe anyway…

1 Like

I actually take back my agreement with this statement after referencing the manual a bit more. This unit allows discrete level and panning control for each of the eight taps + looper + tonal shaping + modifiers + customizable routing options. This delay is WAY more powerful than the other hardware options mentioned.

1 Like

Discrete individual levels is nice, but can we manually tap in their rhythm like with The Empress?
All other (good) features mentioned do not really relate to structure of repeats, do i stand by my point. I need multi tap serial delay with ability to control all eight or more taps in terms of overall tap-structure, each tap volume, feedback and to choose which taps are fed into delay two.

Oh wait a sec but what 's the routing options? The fact we can place fx post or pre the delay? Cool yep but its a static thing. Its like they give you a few simple fx pedals. Modulations are simple and not really playable with this UI. And if we speak of this at all then the Zoya and other similar units not to be forgotten.
What could change the game here for LVX is the OTO-style simple sequencer, but alas

You can also place stuff in the feedbackloop. This pedal seems to have almost as much going for it as my TC Fireworx. And i dont feel that is bad for a pedal.

2 Likes

Perhaps not, as they seem to be very different approaches to delay. There is a 16 step sequencer in the Lvx as one of the modifiers. The modifiers themselves drastically affect the structure of the repeats in many cases, so I consider that part of its potential. Again just different approaches. I had a quick look at the Echosystem manual and it seems a very deep machine. More so than I first surmised. I guess I like that the lvx is more than a deep delay pedal for my uses.

1 Like

I’m not sure how “static”, though. Per preset? Also in the analog dry path as well as feedback loop as @thomaso mentioned.

I guess you’re both right — presets and sequencer (presence of which I didn’t notice myself) might go far too. Gonna study the manual.
world needs more of such computer-like pedals definitely.
and maybe Meris could add something to the LVX in future firmwares too

1 Like

damn. seems like Meris did just that!

the video below shows what’s not in the manual — multi-tap mode has controls for every tap’s volume, length and something else (under ‘tap’ in %), plus filter options (for multifilter delay)
more than that, there is a ‘crossfeed’ parameter too — and it seems to feed delay A into B in series, which is exactly what I was asking for )

the current manual on Meris site looks more like a quick start guide, and no videos go into those ‘structural’ functions, but it looks more and more like THE delay for ‘architectural’ approaches.
so I’m glad to be proven wrong already, can’t wait for more demos

3 Likes

After seeing the video I found very interesting what they do to not eat up the whole line up of their pedals. It has interesting things from almost any of them, but not the complete experience.

I was sad because I recently bought an Enzo, but they are not similar at all and you can’t replicate the pedal with the LVX.

I’d bet that they will do another one of these with the same form factor and stuffs but based on reverb algorithms. It is the most obvious next step.

1 Like

they really should. that’s the future anyway, and many will follow I guess. hope Elektron joins, a digital modular FX unit from them is long overdue, and Elektron can pull it off better than most.
Strymon has the capability also — the Night Sky was already a huge leap forward, too bad they chose to go the eurorack way first, imo.
also weird that Empress didn’t follow the Zoia up with a more focused unit, wonder if sales (or profits) aren’t up to their targets yet.