Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

Just wanted to post this incase anyone is interested in this lovely little pedal. Ill be answering questions cause i think this is like a secret ultimate weapon in this RPG called life.

1 Like

Be nice if there was a UK retailer with these.

I dont believe there is a retailer at all, all orders go through hologram electronics, and they are made to order, they ship worldwide.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Microcosm coming next week.

2 Likes

Anyone have any issues when using midi. I was doing some testing feeding a tb03 into the MC midi out tb03 to midi in MC.i couldnā€™t get a single effect sound out of it.i tried reducing the speed of the pattern and making it less busy.still no joy.then plugged the midi cable out and the MC effect came in.

The TB needs to send clock, not sure it can, look for an option to turn clock send on.

Other then that, Iā€™ve found that divisions of 1/2 and 1/4 tempo seem to have issues letting sound through or activating the MC. At tap tempo the MC becomes active. Canā€™t tell if thatā€™s its supposed behavior, but slower, as you said less busy, is very desirable in some cases.

2 Likes

I send clock from my Squid into the MC ā€¦ the Squid is sequencing an Easel Command with the MC effecting the Complex oscillator out. no issues at allā€¦ just a flurry of gorgeousness :slight_smile:

Also locks nicely for quantized loopingā€¦well tight enough for ambient anyway. Think if you were doing techno etc you might struggle a bit more.

1 Like

I think you may be right with the start and stop clock being the problem.when I ran the same sequence thru it with out midi.It picked up the signal even if it was busy.im gonna do some more testing today with a different clock source

5 Likes

I received my Microcosm the other day and I am absolutely loving it so far. I was initially thinking Iā€™d be selling my CB Mood after this purchase, but the two pedals are very different so Iā€™m keeping both.

Habit looks very interesting but I think Iā€™ll wait just a bit

2 Likes
4 Likes

Seems like thereā€™s a new firmware but i canā€™t check their website at the moment (my iPadā€™s browser is too old and canā€™t access it).

Anyone confirms? Iā€™d be curious to check the change log.

No Changelog on the website or in the download, other than

Updates include:
-Various bug fixes and stability improvements

probably nothing to be too excited about (unless you were plagued by a bug - I havenā€™t encountered any personally)

2 Likes

I actually had some issues with MIDI. Quite strange to not communicate on which bugs were fixed.

Actually now you mention it, I did have an issue with MIDI Thru just stopping working after a couple of hours of being powered on - Iā€™d forgotten since I just gave up and changed my MIDI routing. Hopefully that is fixed - would be nice of them to say what the bugs were!

hmmā€¦ I use the MIDI thru on mineā€¦often for 4 hours plus at a timeā€¦ not had any issuesā€¦so farā€¦eek!

ah, was hoping for something a bit more substantial but this might address some of the small issues I have. Even if it addresses some of the non-responsive moments I sometimes encounter that would be great.

Hopeful in future for: smooth filter interpolation, fx tails when switching presets are the big ones.
Smaller nice-to-haves: would love to be able to change the reverb->filter order i.e. filter->reverb, I realise itā€™s quite probably not possibleā€¦sure I had moreā€¦did submit feature requests/feedback to them with all this last year.

2 Likes

It took them like a year to push a firmware without releasing notes, i would not expect much to be honest. I did send them features requests, they did not seem so open for it.

Besides the pedal not answering to MIDI under not clear circumstances, the main issues i see are:
*gain staging: hard to trigger sometimes and some other times it is really loud in the output. Figuring out a way to even the output volume.
*having the choice if i want the reverb or not. Thereā€™s a reverb knob i i want some, i donā€™t use some presets cause them force the reverb.
*being able to use the Time division with MIDI and not only the Subdivision.
*Being more consistent when changing mode or presets. Sometimes the loop stops, the trails are cut, ā€¦

I know they are busy selling boxes like bread, contacting Youtubers to promote more and more but taking care of actual owners would not harm.