Midi fighter twister

Midi filtering?

When you set them to switch banks internally, they also send midi msg?
I canā€™t really figure that out from the manual.

I got it!!

I tried with MIDI filtering but the problem is that the messages was the same I had already mapped, so finally I could tell the MF that the global MIDI channel was other different to the encoders and perfect.

I installed Mad ZachĀ“s Ableton 11 script and I can now use the automap!!

2 Likes

im using a beebo with the MFT but cant figure it out I would like to segregate side buttons to another channel but donā€™t know how?

You can try going to global settings and selectinga different channel than the encoder settings channel.

1 Like

MIDI Fighter Twister users - are you still enjoying your purchases?

This seems like such a great tool for people who have a midi keyboard and just want a few more assignable knobs, aside from a few bugs. I see one of the original posters sold their itemā€¦

It worries me that itā€™s for sale in such a limited number of places and very few come up on Reverb or eBay. But it does seem to meet a need of mine. Thoughts?

still use mine regularly. no complaints

3 Likes

very good controller! love using it everytime

1 Like

I still love mine. Thereā€™s always a use for an endless-encoder style controller in my setup. One of my better ā€œsupportā€ purchases throughout the years.

(Iā€™ve even started a series of Reaktor ensembles that are designed with the MFT interface in mind, the first is a rendition of the Benjolin: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14375/)

1 Like

Yes itā€™s great. A solidly-built and reliable box of clickable knobs.

So cool! Iā€™m downloading this tonight and giving it a go. Always wanted to try out a Benjolin through a gate for percussion stuff.

1 Like

Has anyone used both the MFT and the Faderfox EC4? I have the MFT but donā€™t often use it. I grabbed a mint EC4 for a decent price recently.

I currently donā€™t use either and will likely only keep one. Anything Iā€™d miss from one or the other? Display with names isnā€™t a game changer for me. Only thing I like on the EC4 is no MIDI host needed and support for NRPN (no equipment that needs that at this time but good to have it supported).

For now, I would be using it with OT. Iā€™m thinking about getting a TR-6S again so possibly there as well. Thatā€™s it.

Thoughts? Going to post one for sale after some feedback.

Cheers!

If you already have both, nobody can know better than you which one you prefer in your own setup.

Try them both out for a while. See which you prefer. If you canā€™t be bothered to even try them out, sell both.

(Edited for typo)

4 Likes

I love mine in my setup use it constantly

7 Likes

Nice. I probably wouldā€™ve picked a different chair though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

no chair need it

Iā€™m considering getting one of these to use as a performance effects controller, dub delays/filter/reverb, and was wondering how well the acceleration works for fine/coarse control of values in a live scenario? I think the setting is called ā€œvelocity sensitivityā€ in the config software from what Iā€™ve seen.

I have a Launch Control which Iā€™m going to try setting up to do what I want, but I have a strong suspicion that the standard MIDI resolution of 127 isnā€™t going to be ideal for some of the parameters Iā€™ll be using. Iā€™m really trying to avoid needing to buy expensive and relatively limited hardware, but I do desire that proper hands on feel of something like the Zen Delay for example. Thereā€™s a depressing lack of hi-res controllers out there, but I suppose MIDI 2.0 devices might soon ameliorate this?

Iā€™m just wondering if the acceleration/velocity is something I could get used to enough to be confident in performing a quick twist and getting just the right value for a delay time parameter for example. With Realearn in Reaper I can tune the min/max values that get sent to control a parameter so theoretically I should be able to do a little fine tuning there, but ideally the MFT would have some kind of adjustable curve for the acceleration.

Ultimately I think Iā€™d prefer a controller with a bunch of large non-endless knobs or faders with a high resolution, but they just arenā€™t readily available, and DIYing one seems a bit beyond me atm.

AFAIK the MFT does not support hi-res messages like 14-bit MIDI natively. For absolute Note and CC values, the latest firmware (from 2019) sends 7-bit MIDI.

It sounds like you are aware that there are options that are provided in the MFT editor that do not appear in the most recent user manual that allow one to send relative values from the encoder. For those folks that not familiar with the device, by default the relative output setting sends 63 on CCW rotation and 65 for CW rotation. But there is an additional (undocumented) ā€œvelocity sensitivityā€ feature that will change this so the values become more extreme as you rotate the encoders faster. It seems that one could map the output to hi-res MIDI values, but the MFT does not provide this facility itself. Youā€™d need some other system to do this mapping. You mention Realearn; maybe that can do this mapping but I am not familiar with it.

IMO the velocity mapping is fairly reliable but I have not done any detailed testing of this. I still have a MFT and hope that at some point revised firmware will be released that makes it easier to use for hi-res MIDI, but the pace of development on it is very slow (or nonexistent) so I primarily use other MIDI controllers that have built-in support for hi-res MIDI at this point.

1 Like

Thanks. What hi-res MIDI controllers do you use? I havenā€™t seen anything particularly comparable to the MFT just yet, maybe theyā€™ll release a new version at some point.

Yeah Relearn can do quite a lot in terms of filtering and tweaking control input, so using it for relative control should be quite easy. Iā€™m mainly considering the MFT for this because Iā€™ve heard that it uses reasonably hi-resolution encoders, more ā€œsteps per turnā€ or something compared to some other controllers.

Iā€™ve also seen that it has a ā€œsuper knobā€ mode where one half of a turn (180 degrees I guess?) is used for one CC, and other half can be used for another. If they both have 127 values I should be able to set up the two CCs to control the same thing in Realearn but have one go from 0-50% and the other 50-100% for the target, this should theoretically double the resolution which might be enough for some parameters.

As far as the resolution of the encoders themselves I actually think the midi fighter twister has the highest res encoders unless you go with something more specialized like the monome arc.

In terms of the resolution of the encoders, I donā€™t know which ones are high resolution in terms of steps per turn, and the MFT may well be good in this regard. I care more about the resolution and flexibility of the MIDI messages it can produce, and thatā€™s where the MFT is limited (to 7-bit MIDI). The MFT does have large, smooth encoders and it has nice build quality.

There are a few options out there for general MIDI controllers that can output 14-bit MIDI as well as NRPN, OSC, and other things beyond 7-bit MIDI. The closest match I know of to the MFT is the Intech EN16 which has 16 endless encoders, like the MFT. Where the MFT has a ring of LEDs around each encoder, the EN16 has a single LED per encoder. The MFT has large, smooth encoders; the EN16 has smaller, detented encoders. Both the MFT and the EN16 can be set up to output two different MIDI CCs (i.e. you can set them up so that when you click an encoder it switches to a secondary CC number).

But for my use the more important aspect of the EN16 is that the outputs are very flexible. The Intech devices are programmable, and come with code examples to output 14-bit MIDI with adjustable velocity response amongst other things. If anything, they can be a bit complicated to set up because they are so flexible, but once you get used to them they can be very powerful.