Midi sync between devices whilst one changes project

If I have two digitakts synced via clock can I stop one while the other plays and load up a different project and restart it in time with the one still playing after adjusting the midi receive. Is there a way, I have a midihub here.

like dip in and out but still be synced

I guess turn off transport send and receive on both machines and try it. Let me know how it works for you.

ā€˜restart it in timeā€™ will not work as he wants it, I suppose. I think he would like to start at the beginning of a new loop or cycle, I guess. And the trouble would probably start when you have diff Ierent lanes with different step counts. Iā€™m at work now, so no time to think this through in dept, but interesting question. Sounds like he would like to switch the master-slave relation onboth machines.

you have 2 digitakts but you need 1 octatrack.

realistically, once the clock stops, it wonā€™t resync until the other one (the one providing clock and controlling the transport on both) starts and stops again. it only has to be for a second though so consider working rests (musical note length rests, not go get a drink of water rests) into your set, or consolidate your projects into one set length project and balance the juggling act between the 2 digitakts using p locks and ingenuity.

Unfortunately midi clock sync is not this advanced.

you could also consider just turning the master volume all the way down on the one you want to make a change to and as long as you know your project is laid out right, you donā€™t really have to hear it in order to see that the bank and pattern has changed because thereā€™s visual feedback in the form of the display as well as the LED that shows you the step count and the ledā€™s for the sequencer moving across the trigs. itā€™s not going to be like beat matching a record where you find the spot and drop it. you have to approach it like writing a report or something.

or buy an octatrack and you can do essentially what you are asking about.

You can switch projects during play without any delay on the Octatrack?

you wouldnā€™t do it with projects I think you do it with scenes or something I donā€™t fully understand it because octatrack is a little over my head

I donā€™t know that advising buying an Octatrack is the best advice in this case then.

1 Like

ā€¦if both devices receive their sync clock externally, u actually can stop one of them and jumpstart it back into sync manuallyā€¦BUT it needs some practice to hit the right moment of the downbeatā€¦ otherwise they are actually in sync again, but play ā€œagainstā€ each other with their individual down versus upbeat accentuations as u intented their rhytmical phrasing in first placeā€¦

but maybe u could find a solution, where u can set up ur involved gear so that it can wait to start until the next first bar hit comes along againā€¦but iā€™d say, just rehearse hitting the ā€œsweet spotā€ā€¦
in the meantime and along the way, enjoy another great source for happy accidentsā€¦
itā€™s like good old days, when djā€™s still had to learn how to beatmatch properlyā€¦
with wrong tempo already out of the way, itā€™s all ā€œjustā€ making sure bumm and tschakk allign the ā€œrightā€ wayā€¦while missing it by various amounts of 16th notes can lead to intresting new grooveimpressionsā€¦ :wink:

then I no longer advise getting an octatrack because I do not have a way to explain how it would work.

Actually, how I do this, is just indeed playing with the volume, as shigginpit suggested, but I do this by using mute on my mixer. :slight_smile: But I can leave 'em runningā€¦ but it remains a manual thing with all risks kept. So a MUTE ALL would work.

If you have Midihub I feel like thereā€™s probably a way to transform certain notes or something into the required messages to keep things in sync, but itā€™s not something Iā€™ve tried.

Iā€™m cool for this as I use elk herd when it works but with the new os I have to jump between projects for one gig upcoming. Iv know I can turn transport off and then I can stop and start, for me its ok as I can cue with headphones and just bend the pitch manually like on a cdj to match the 707. Iā€™m just working with a friend on his 2 707s heā€™s switching up mostly. Were currently working on a stop start basis after i turn transport back on againdrop out kicks n leave tiny bits of silence. We have this blokas midihub thing I donā€™t know how to work yet like would think maybe it could do somthing. lol
Cheers

1 Like

Yeah I would definitely explore the Midihub editor and the Digitaktā€™s MIDI charts in the manual to see if thereā€™s something that would work well for you.

the midibox seq v4+ as master can send start and stop signals without stopping. Useful for resync.

3 Likes

Indeed, waiting for my Midronome here, and see how this would fit in this situation.

it sounds like itā€™s going to be a headache but I think fundamentally you can make it work if you (as an example) have a good delay unit with a trails option which you can set the milliseconds to match a note value at the bpm of the prior project, then kick the delay on before pressing stop to change the projects. as long as you kill the delay before pressing start again, the trail should carry the note repeat ā€œin timeā€ and it would sound less like dead air. Also not difficult to sync back up to like trying to do something similar with a looper. a delay trail would just fade into the next track.

1 Like

Wow looks awesome spaceship buttons

I have a device that costs $150 (if I remember it right) that allows this exact thing to be done. It sits between one box and the other and sends a start message, while being syncā€™d to the master box, to the slave box at the top of the measure so you do not have to hit the start manually in time. I use it to restart one Octatrack after loading up a project while the ther gear keeps rocking. Itā€™s called MIDIgal.

1 Like

Expensive but ERM Multiclock can do this and a whole lot more.

1 Like