Minimalist controllers

…surprised no one here had already mentioned THIS…
…use it only since a week…
…but, gosh, it rules them all…

still missing a roli seaboard, though…

4 Likes

Grooovvy baby!

i tried searching the thread and seems this hasn’t been mentioned

anybody have experience with one??

Don’t know how minimal it is but picked up a Maschine Mk2 just to control Ableton. Dirt cheap now without software (which I also have but never use…)

3 Likes

Faderfox EC4 seems worth a mention. I’m thinking of one of these to open up synths and give some direct access to OT & Rytm parameters.
There are 16 setups (1 per MIDI channel) each with 16 groups of 16 parameters = 256 cc’s per MIDI channel. The screen displays parameters as well as values so there is hope of keeping track of everything, and it’s only 10x18 cm, fits nicely next to Mk1 boxes.

2 Likes

Any plans on creating other sizes on the Extra Deluxe MFG? A 37 or 49 key version of this would be ideal for my situation :slight_smile:

I’ve been very happy when I switched my 61SLmkIII, overcrowed with many functions with a studiologic sl73, a keybed, 3 joysticks…

1 Like

I have one and love it. It’s really expressive and can be used in so many ways. I usually map some effect chains the its different dimensions and record the automation while I “feel” it. Much better than drawing lines

1 Like

I feel like I’ve been waiting half my life for a no-frills three-ish octave MIDI controller with a full-sized Fatar keybed for couch use, every few years I’ll look thinking ‘surely this must exist by now’ but the options as far as I can see are the CMK-137 which seems incredibly rare and the first gen Novation SL which isn’t really no-frills at all. Both those options are pretty old now and don’t seem to have had super great build quality anyway, judging from what I’ve read.

Inevitably I end up having to look for synths, farcically pondering whether a Digitone Keys would be usable on the couch and all that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Launchpad X is a truly minimal controller, and it feels great.

It would have been nice to have 7 inches to fit the Digis.

What’s the width from the controls to the right side?

I’ve been looking for a small but decent quality controller with endless rotary encoders for use with my DAW. The closest I can find is the Arturia Beatstep but I’m not sure what the encoders feel like.

I’ve got an NI Komplete Kontrol and I like the encoders on that, and it’s nice to have the displays but it’s too bulky when I’m not using the keyboard.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

One is avail. in Kalamazoo MI, btw for $80 but dude won’t ship :confused:

Xjam from Artesia Pro

This is new. The pads are both velocity sensitive and have polyphonic aftertouch, but can also send MIDI CC, MIDI Program Change or MMC messages, if you prefer. Both USB-C and TRS MIDI output. Aluminum body, thin, light and portable. Six endless encoders. Can save 48 scenes, and has setup software. Pretty reasonable price at $140 USD.

2 Likes

Novation Dicers:

Yes !!! I have a Prophet 6 as well, and I love it as keyboard…

I briefly used it to control a soft synth, but you can’t bypass the oscillators on the Prophet, and I felt foolish letting them run while using the keyboard as a midi controller.

1 Like

I heard seven inches is too big, and what you have in the picture is the perfect size.

1 Like

Got this with an octatrack I bought.Plan to use with my minimal away trip set up (about to relocate for 6 months) controlling software on mbp and ipad!!!just midi and psu but i kinda like it like that ))

Basil 60 knobs originally built to control Sonic potions LXR-

Not sure who did this one. Possibly Teenage Engineering. Could have been a hawtin/plastikman thing as well. I forget.

2 Likes