Minimalist controllers

For what it’s worth, anyone reading this:

I parted with my Extra Deluxe mfg 61 controller because of the velocity curve issues, there were a few options to choose from but across the board I felt that it was registering key strikes on the harder side. Integrating that with software, for example, meant that every time I used a certain VST, I had to switch over to a custom velocity curve. When adjusting the velocity curve wasn’t an option I was screwed.

Further, it wasn’t just a little thing, there were very noticeable differences between it and similar keybeds (ended up going with Arturia 61 MKII) and it’s issue was one I haven’t experienced on other keybeds. It’s also not like other keyboards had a wide range of responses, they all seemed to perform pretty consistently as expected and the ED MFG 61 stood out.

Tbh I slightly regret the sale, it was an excellent feeling keybed and unit, fit the OP-1 perfectly up there (with room to spare).
But at the end of the day the velocity thing bugged me so I just have to take a deep breath and remind myself of that every time I read about this keyboard.

1 Like

Faderfox got you covered, the EC4 is exactly what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Not sure, but just about to fit a Prophet 5 module. Though the depth, as you say, is a bit narrow so even the Digis stick out a bit on the back if you put them on there.

The 1010 blackbox fits perfectly in depth, so that one with a bunch of Chase Bliss pedals lined up is a nice fit. Right now, I’m putting the OP-1 Field on it and the TX-6 next to it, with plenty of space to spare.

1 Like

I’m using a BS for Ableton. It’s got enough control for me, and you can store mappings and switch between them. Also it fits perfectly in front of a 13" MacBook, I can type and use the trackpad over the top of it. I use this mapping for device control and then switch to a midi map of my own for level, pans, sends, mutes.

4 Likes

This looks absolutely perfect for controlling Koala.

Yeah, it does and I hadn’t seen it before so thanks! the only think putting me off is the price seems a bit high

Oh, I didn’t realise you could switch between different mappings. I think this would do everything I need if I can’t convince myself to pay the extra for the Faderfox

1 Like

do you have a beatstep?

I used to, and sold it because I had no use for it. That might have changed!

I had a faderfox for a bit (EC4), I did like it but for Ableton I like having the pads as well as encoders, and didn’t feel like I needed the screen having the laptop right there.

I’ve thought about getting EC4 again though, to use with OT/Rytm for levels/pans/sends firstly, but then could also use to expand some synths without many panel controls e.g. Evolver, Tetra.

1 Like

I just found a Logicstudio SR1 controller with a Fatar keybed for a decent price. Can anyone who has had one comment on the action etc.? Is it pretty much the same as the Studiologic CMK controllers?

I wonder if it’s possible to buy Fatar keybeds not in bulk. And what kind of electronics should be added for turning it into an actual keyboard.

I’ve been following this company based out of Argentina for some years and I’ve been very tempted to order a custom made controller from them. When they started, all their controllers were USB only, but now they’ve added full midi din connectivity as well…

I’ve designed a controller with six joysticks for my Monomachine to control mod, pitch bend and CC2 of each track… but it is quite hefty of a price, so I’ve been sleeping on it.

Never the less, I love the idea behind this company, they’ve made some really cool products.

1 Like

Wow. Never come across these before. Premium prices, but look like premium products. Very cool.

Yeah, it’s really cool!
They have a set of standard parts (button, faders, joysticks etc.) in different sizes and 3 cases in different size. So you can design your own controller within a web app and apply custom graphics… the idea is brilliant!

1 Like

How about the 16n Faderbank?

If you handy with the DIY stuff, other than the enclosure (which isn’t that difficult, I just suck at em), this is a pretty simple build. It would be a matter of just changing the firmware for what CCs/Channel get sent, or just convert/remap them:

1 Like

this one looks like it could be pretty impressive

1 Like