Minimalist music production setup

I am seriously considering downsizing my hardware setup and just focusing on the absolute essentials. My studio is just taking up too much space, both physically and mentally.

So I have been thinking about what the bare minimum setup for music production would be and so far I have: A laptop, an interface, a keyboard midi controller, and a pair of headphones/studio monitors. What would you all put on the list?

When I think about what sounds I would use I think some synths would be fine ITB (the classics all have pretty good emulations for example), but would I miss the sound of more esoteric synths like the Lyra-8 and Pulsar-23 or would I just figure out other sounds to make ITB? And when I think about how I would work would I just get used to doing everything in the daw or would I really miss hardware sequencers? Do I want to keep one sampler like the s2400 or mpc or would trying to keep anything OTB just be too much of a headache for a streamlined setup? I imagine sampling into my daw through a nice audio interface with good converters would sound better anyway. Thoughts?

4 Likes

If it were me I’d miss the immediacy of tweaking a physical synth, so I would keep one or two. A drum synth is a great example of something worth keeping because it’s so productive to make kits and beats on.

You also should consider keeping anything for its practical use. For example hardware is much easier to whip out and jam with than a laptop. Don’t underestimate the value of instant gratification in the moment of inspiration.

To be “minimal” without throwing out the baby with the bathwater, I would keep no more than 3 physical devices. (Whether it be sequencer, synth, or pedal.)

I wouldn’t bother with anything that was considered essential studio gear in the 90’s or 2000’s. Or DAW-in-a-boxes. Your computer can take care of that.

But, the ultimate minimalist setup, to me, if you don’t want to use a computer to produce, is an MPC or Deluge and a nice tweak-friendly hardware synth like a Digitone.

4 Likes

nothing else

13 Likes

Good advice. I was thinking about my DRM1 and how I be would miss it, but keeping stuff OTB like that complicates things when also working in a daw. I would need a midi interface, or maybe an ERM multiclock for syncing daw with hardware, maybe a patch bay if my interface isn’t large enough, then a stand or rack for it, then cables for everything, etc. etc. Then add that complication times 3 :-). Maybe I would end up back where I started.

But I understand the idea. It’s got me thinking maybe I keep one thing with a step sequencer, one thing with a classic sequencer and pads, and maybe one more thing if it doesn’t overload my interface. Something that would be useful for jamming and also still useful when working itb.

might be an idea if you want to add an otb unit with minimal hassle to get one that has usb audio & midi. like a modern elektron for example. 1 single USB cable is all u need for midi & audio. Nice n simple.

3 Likes

If you’re only keeping a couple devices you won’t need the patchbay. The clock is imo dispensible, You can manage with Ableton’s clock.

Remember the point of going minimal is to reduce the number of choices you have to make when you’re creating, don’t confuse it with trying to make everything as efficient and “simple” as possible. Simpler setups can actually require a little more work, but if you’re not thinking about that extra work and it’s not too tedious, then you did it right.

1 Like

I would argue that sticking to old-fashioned audio and midi is simpler. But if there’s also a desire to be more mobile, then this would be a good way to go.

I’d keep the most capable synth that you enjoy

1 Like

Do you have enough closet/storage space to put most of your gear away? Try starting by putting everything away, and then see what 1 or 2 things you miss. Take those out and spend a month with them. If you’re not feeling those after a month, rotate out. Repeat for a year or so until there’s some things in the back of the closet that haven’t been touched in months, and it’ll be clear what to do with those.

11 Likes

Agree with @license if you’ve got the space. I alternate between doing as you suggest (recording into DAW) and using hardware in the form of a sequencer/sampler and usually just one synth.

1 Like

Keeping a minimal setup is an important consideration for me—

Coming from a rock/instrumental background, now for a few years my studio has been built around my essentials:

1 guitar,
1 keyboard synth,
1 drum machine,
and the DAW/computer

and I feel this has been quite productive for me.

I don’t really need any sequencers besides the DAW (but sometimes, built-in sequencers are quite handy, particularly for drum machines!) but I do need

(or other physical instrument) in order to at all enjoy (and consequently, to actually do) sound design and the early stages of composition!

I imagine there are many in this forum who would feel an analogous need for various hardware sequencers… depending both on personal preference and the suitability for certain styles of music, so I think that’s important to think through your own situation with regard to.

I feel good with a simple setup like this, but notably, I also keep a small number of various backup and special purpose (e.g. travel) instruments, in the closet most of the time— some small controllers/synths, microphones, very simple fx pedals, backup guitar, etc… I think this can be a good choice if there are certain things too useful to get rid of, but rarely used.

(Edits: typo/clarity)

5 Likes

Well, obviously a laptop/controller/headphones etc would be the most minimalist, but personally I wouldn’t find it all that much fun, which is why I moved to all hardware… but honestly a DT/DN combo with some kind of analog mono hardware is kinda where its at for me.

2 Likes

Laptop + Ableton Live + APC40.

Audio interface + speakers + headphones.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently. Being totally in the box (even with a midi controller) doesn’t really inspire me. But I thought of getting one synth that’s capable of a wide sonic palette and pairing it with Bitwig. For me, that’s going to be a Hydrasynth, which would enable me to make a stupid amount of different sounds, then track everything into Bitwig one layer at a time via my audio interface. The interface also has midi for sending note info from Bitwig if required and the Hydrasynth can be used to play Bitwig’s sampler or synths if needed. I only use headphones (Audeze LCD-1) so no need for monitors. YMMV.

6 Likes

A computerbased system with VST/sample library GAS and (un) finished projects is not gonna solve the mental part of the problem. Not to speak about regular updates, bugs or crashing SDD’s. A powered off mac or pc, midi keyboard and a pair of headphones may look more clean but It ain’t fun to look at. i can really enjoy just watching at my setup and see all that gear. I could never imagine when i was i kid that i would grow up and become able to buy al this lovely equipment. A daw is perhaps more productive if that’s the goal but for fun in would rather downsize and keep pushing buttons and turning knobs.

2 Likes

23 Likes

I agree for production you don’t need anything else if you are happy to work in a DAW.

Personally I can’t work like that, but if I could I’d have nothing except a decent computer, some controllers and tons of (data) storage. The possibilities far exceed the time needed to exhaust them.

Edit: I’d create my own instruments in the wealth of tools that exist in software, my own controller schemes, and my own workflow. No more messy cables or clutter, bliss!

5 Likes

Deluge/headphones

keep a digitakt and an mpc near by

Who do you think you are, Autechre??? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve had a similar mental approach as this, except Ableton for Bitwig.

Biggest revelation I’ve had recently though is;
Write Drunk, Edit Sober.

I’ve always been guilty of mixing up these 2 stages, and it’s been a pain in the ass for me.

To me now;

Write Drunk = Play and record audio, mess about, but keep recording stuff… for this to happen I can’t just use a DAW/ITB set up.
I want synths, mics, guitars, drum machines, etc, but still want it compact and want to avoid option paralysis.

Edit Sober = this can be primarily ITB, away from the distraction of sound sources… knowing and understanding the task at hand is to make sense of the Drunk stage and give it some order is my favourite workflow now.

I also really liked Ricki Tinez’s video on the 1 synth, 1 sampler, 1 drum machine approach.
Even though I can’t quite commit to just 1, it’s good to minimise and keep that in mind.

5 Likes