Minimalist music production setup

Nah, they’re safe for now, but if only I could computererer, them guys be toast :laughing:

1 Like

one of the most annoying sides of hardware setups

3 Likes

I struggle with clutter, and I can’t work in a chaotic set up, so I have to go to often (even to me) ridiculous lengths to try to mitigate mess. But strangely I get on fine with modular gear.

I really do envy compact setups, or people who can work just on a computer, from a neatness perspective.

Weirdly though, I can happily make a track on a single groovebox or whatever, just can’t limit myself to it all the time.

6 Likes

Part of me wishes I never got into hardware, being limited to a DAW and a MIDI controller.

OTOH I can’t imagine going back.

3 Likes

A proper synth

1 Like

I always dream of big hardware setups, working like in the 90s with roland gear, a mixer etc
But once I connect 3 or 4 synths with midi and audio cables I already get cable paranoia :slightly_smiling_face: I need it tidy and I‘m really not creative how to hide cables etc.
And how often did I fight with setting up midi channels when I justed wanted to make music :see_no_evil:
I can work with laptops really well, but not after 8 hours in front of them at work.
Haven’t found a hardware solution that I completely enjoy, best thing to work with single boxes. Combining them rarely works for me

2 Likes

I keep my in-the-box setup separate from all my synth gear.

I use the latter for experimenting and to get the kind of inspiration that comes from working within limitations, while the former is where I go when I already have some inspiration and want to make a track.

3 Likes

Consider ditching any of the more common hardware pieces, and pack away the rarer or harder to replace items. Keep an empty space on the desk where you can quickly plug in just one of these at a time when the whim takes you. Focus on keeping pieces that you enjoy touching and playing as much as you enjoy the sound of. If they end up never coming out of the cupboard, move them on.

Analog rytm, analog 4 and a laptop. So drum machine, polysynth, monosynth, sampler and a FX box all right there in two devices.

1 Like

No need to sell unless money is a thing. Just set up a few boxes and work like that for a few weeks. Swap things in and out. I get so much more out of my machines this way.

I’m also of the one synth (mono or
Poly doesn’t matter), drum machine and sampler mindset

5 Likes

I like the one sampler, one synth, one drum machine idea… but what synth would I choose? All my synths work better for one thing, bass, pads, experimental, etc. I thought a lot about it today and I think I would probably keep the subsequent 37 for bass and I guess if I wanted chords I could just sample it and do it there… but I also love my ob-6, and super 6, and perfourmer lol. Man maybe I would keep the perfourmer (but it’s not as flexible with a daw setup :-/).

Drum machine I would probably keep the drm1 and sell the pulsar-23. But the drm1 has no sequencer and nothing but manual modulation, which is kind of a bummer for a minimal setup, but nothing sounds better and it is great sampler fodder…

Sampler I am keeping the s2400 no doubt about it.

I definitely am going to sell some stuff though, I am not a put it in storage kind of guy (except for a few small travel synths).

1 Like

I don’t see a problem with the DRM since you can sequence it externally. Think of the lack of external modulation as an opportunity to create using manual modulation. You didn’t explain why the DRM over the Pulsar, so you kind of answered your own dilemma by stating the downside to keeping the DRM.

As for the synth I’d consider what’s going to matter the most, power or sound. If you can’t decide keep two. There’s no prize for succeeding at the 1/1/1 goal and no penalty for failing it either.

Also I wouldn’t sell anything. Just put it away and sell the stuff that starts to collect dust.

Kind of off topic but not, Ricky “overbridge” Tinez has great videos on his channel where he has minimal set-ups. Look up his “compact creations” videos

1 Like

I have the same philosophy. I open the laptop when I have an idea or purpose in mind, hardware is for jamming and letting inspiration appear.

5 Likes

@HBIII Seeing that you already managed to sell a couple of things through the downsizing FS thread, I’m curious how you are finding the ”process” so far? I definitely struggle with letting things go so I’d gladly hear your thoughts on the subject. Cos every time I think about listing some of the pieces I’m using probably less than 10% of my music making time the ’what ifs’ start filling my head. That includes even the pieces that are still in production. Like the Digitone which I already sold once and then bought back about six months later. Now I don’t want to sell it cos I don’t want to start wanting it back again! Silly AF, I know!

The art of letting go… How does one get better at that? (The question is naturally open to everyone.)

2 Likes

Sounds so cliché but just do it.

It’s the only way I have let go gear/habits/relationships in the past. Make the decision and stick with it.

As with most things, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

5 Likes

Yep, once you say it in your head just do it.

I find it helps to get a box for shipping right away. Take pictures, pack it in the box with bubble wrap all ready to ship and then list it last. If you’re selling a lot just write what’s in the box on the box where you’ll put the label.

This way it’s like it’s already gone.

When it sells you literally put a label on it and drop it off.

7 Likes

It’s like pulling off a bandaid for me. I could overthink everything forever, but when I just do it and get it over with I never really regret it. If I later think I made the wrong choice I am not upset, I just go in a different direction. Like if I regret my studio sell off too bad for me, I’ll just buy a nice audio interface and do stuff itb instead. It’s a journey and I’ll have some nice memories :-).

2 Likes

This seems like a really reasonable way to approach it. Just pretend it’s gone and see how you like it!

1 Like

If computers aren’t on the menu I’d have an MPC 2500 with JJOS2XL, fat pads and a set of decent headphones.