Minimalist music production setup

This is in my setup. Norns + Grid / MPC2500 / Blofeld / BSII / iPad. I sold everything else. I don’t even have these hooked up together very often. 3 out of those 5 in one set up…. tops.

Edit: JJOSxl - the pad mode features (line pattern) and qlink assignments are brilliant.

Best minimalist setup would be laptop, DAW and good headphones.

1 Like

iPad Pro, Launchpad pro XL, battery banks, custom mounted in a Pelican flight briefcase

3 Likes

well, i’m close to this, but without a case.

iPad (regular, because it has longer battery life), RK-006, two Launchpads (because you can’t have too many Launchpads, Mini is dedicated for clip/scene launching and X for loads of other things), a controller (will buy Launch Control XL), and optionally some other small battery powered boxes – MC-101 / TR-6s / Circuit Tracks / Electribe 2 / Uno Synth OG.

iPad/Drambo turned to be the most productive environment for me in terms of ready tracks.
i intentionally say «ready» (to perform) instead of «finished», because all my tracks have dynamic structure that can change from performance to performance.

1 Like

We have similar tastes! I do t have this case, but I have a spare iPad or two and still contemplate doing it.

I have the Launchpad Pro mk3 and the Launch Control XL. Very handy combo and I plug them into my iPad, DAW, and Akai Force as needed.

Also rocking the Electribe 2 and 2s, and dRambo.

Eventually I’ll get an extra LaunchPad and make the Pelican Jamming briefcase. New winter project to keep me safe and warm inside.

1 Like

i currently use my old trusted ReMote Zero XL controller, but there’s nothing “portable” about it ))

1 Like

Every few months I think of selling everything and just getting really good at Renoise.

Maybe keeping just one, really inspiring poly synth.

And maybe a mono synth too.

Definitely a drum machine yeah.

I think a vintage sampler would also be a nice contrast.

Fuck.

9 Likes

Not quite summer but damn near!

6 Likes

Did you somehow customize that faceplate with the sublime sun? How does that mini jbl sound, does it have 2 little speakers inside the housing?

I definitely feel the need to keep the setup minimal. I’ve found that I’m only productive when I base my setup around some kind of sampler that can do production duty. Usually I’ll pick one synth to stay connected to it. But the reason the sampler is the main piece is that way I can incorporate anything without having to disrupt the setup. I just record what I need, then revert to the basic setup.

For reasons, I only use one sequencer. With the exception that things like digi boxes, which don’t mind being told what patterns to play and when, are fine. That usually means using the sampler’s sequencer, but I’m thinking of using a separate one and operating the sampler like the digi boxes. Basically: use the native patterns on each machine, but with external song mode.

At the moment it looks like blackbox + digitone. The DN is flexible, and layering DN drums with sampled drums is magical. I also keep an Axoloti handy for processing. In the past it was op1 + microkorg, and a turntable.

But I have all kinds of other junk. I keep it separate. It’s available, but doesn’t occupy any head space unless I use it.

1 Like

haha…this.

Is it still minimalist if you have 2 production setups? I’ve got an Ableton setup (computer, MOTU M2, monitors, Beatstep & Maschine MK1) and an iOS setup (iPad Pro, Zoom U-44 with XY mic, Launchpad Mini 3 & Akai MIDI mix). Between those 2 there’s basically nothing I feel I lack, although I’d be lying if I said that this approach had been something I chose to do rather than one which had been dictated by necessity. That said, my entire outlook as regards making music is essentially processing samples and Ableton/iOS are far more powerful than any hardware setup I’ve encountered.

Out of context question: I have a Zoom U24 as well. Do you mind asking a bit of detail on integrating U44 with iPad workflow?

1 Like

I use it through AUM for essentially all inputs and outputs of audio and MIDI. The thing I really like about the 44 is that the XY mic connects solidly to it and is available directly within AUM, which makes sampling things into Koala an absolute dream (especially with Brusfri removing any unwanted room or background noise)

Edit: in a cabling sense I power the 44 via a micro USB cable and connect it to the iPad via regular USB and Apple Camera Connection Kit. I’ve got an Anker powerbank which has multiple output connections so both the Micro USB and a USB-to-Lightning cable attach to that, powering the U44 and charging the iPad

This is my favorite minimalist setup, po’s are just so much fun. The Nanoloop fm is first in the chain.

2 Likes

i just want to add, i would be careful equating anything on the computer with minimalism. it is less stuff standing around but I think software can be a lot worse in terms of unnecessary complexity. You might buy Komplete or Arturia Collection and get 50 pieces of software to install and then manage, you get into drum vsts, reverbs, i mean you need those Valhalla verbs no? it’s nice to have Phase Plant but maybe you also want Dune and so it continues. theres many users that have thousands of pieces of software installed. so i think in terms of peace of mind, you need to make a concerted effort to limit yourself either way.

I would also add that producing on the computer feels very different to me. It’s just a very different vibe. So I actually have a rack of hardware next to my pc but I also like to have a small setup in a another room thats just tight and contained like 3-4 devices.

6 Likes

One more thing: I think the real trap is falling into the mindset that optimizing the setup will lead to a point where you’re happy. I think its fine to have way too many synths. It’s fine to have 1 synth. As long as you find a way to work on music instead of on your setup. The more time you spend just doing music the more easily you settle on a workflow and once you settled on a workflow its quite obvious what you need. Maybe this doesnt relate to you OP but I definitely fall into this mindset of being stressed out about wanting more or less (in cycles) of something (you have too many synths you dont use! you need this one other synth to complete your setup!) and I’m now of the opinion that it doesnt really matter either way.

2 Likes

It’s a good point. I don’t think of my Ableton setup as minimal in terms of the sheer number of tools at my disposal. I mainly use a blend of stock devices and Arturia FX/instruments, with a handful of other things in the mix (Decimort, Wavesfactory Cassette and a few devices by Madrona and Audio Thing).

In terms of really becoming familiar with certain tools, I found even the “3 you’ll actually use” to be too many and end up using only 2 delays (tape & BBD), 2 reverbs (spring and plate) and 1 of the other devices (preamp, compressor, chorus etc).

The only exception to that is filters because: filters = life

I think there is some attraction to going minimal. I live in the mountains and yet I still dream of riding my singlespeed bike much of the time. I still have several other bikes, though, so even though I’m feeling a bit minimal when I ride it, I’m not really being that minimal.

I tend to go the same way with composition, I’ll usually only use 3-4 sound creation sources (be they synths or VSTs) for a period. It’s a bit chaotic when I haven’t settled, and after awhile I will chafe at the set of devices and want to change it up. But, a way to re-arrange my space so I have amply room for only those devices I’ll be using at that time seems like the way forward for now.

But then again, I currently have four bicycles in my dining room.

3 Likes

not to derail too much but for some reason i also ended up gravitating to arturia. i use their reverbs and delays a lot and also pigments. also bitwig has made my life easier since they added their filter emulations i basically use one of the bitwig filters 9 of 10 times. only for mixing i throw on cleansweap because subtle high roll off sounds a lot better.

1 Like