Miserable git moans about gear design

The elektron silver boxes were lovely. They have that industrial, science equipment look to them. Makes me want to twiddle the knobs and make weird noises anyway.

The MK1 black boxes went all sexy and slick, but still very, very good looking. Nicely laid out buttons and knobs.

Also this stuff, gets my eurorack-vote

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be either/or. Make Noise panels have been polarizing since the first Woggle Bug panel in the early 2000s. They’re actually not THAT hard to understand once you get moving. Still, I can see why they have that effect for some.

I don’t think anyone sets out to design (or acquire) a synth because it would be difficult to master from a visual perspective :smiley:

People do design an aesthetic to differentiate themselves, and maybe even to help guide their users in a different creative direction. I believe THAT is part of it for MN.

They also provide excellent documentation (at least from the couple of modules I owned long ago like MATHS). Then again cryptic interfaces don’t really phase me.

2 Likes

I think whats important about me for gear as well (as a graphic and interactive designer) is to make things usable and understandable. This is why I’m also drawn to elektrons gear, everything is clearly labeled and laid out with a level of hierarchy. I appreciate the aesthetics of make noise and they are a niche group, but at the same time I think poorly designed or niche gear can add to a level of gatekeeping when it comes to making music which shouldnt be the case imo

1 Like

Fan of PLLs myself. :wink:

This guy allows one to be patched. (XOR phase comparator, divider, integrator)

1 Like

I agree with OP, Make Noise’s layouts always seem far too unfriendly. I live in their hometown and spent an afternoon with a couple of their huge skiffs. The sound was phenomenal but after an hour I felt more confused as the more patch cables I ran, the less I could read the schizophrenic fonts and layout.
To each their own but I’ve generally passed on their gear due to this.

1 Like

Magpie also make alternate Maths panels, and usually have them in stock unlike the Grayscale panels. Though Maths was pretty easy to use after learning it. Doepfer modules are great, like the Elbys pictured above (the CGS57 B-N-Tic Filter is awesome, btw).

Didn’t Mutable Instruments discontinue two of the best-selling Eurorack modules (Clouds + Braids) since Emilie wanted to make more ‘focused’ modules? Or was it all the 3rd-party alternate firmware? I always needed the Braids cheatsheet open on my iPad to use it. With Clouds, I’d always forget what the 4 functions of that 1 knob does. Also with Disting. Also with hardware synths that require a software editor. A bit different, I suppose.

I love designs that are utilitarian and restrained but also colourful. Buchla, Serge, Grandmother/Matriarch, Monomachine, all beautiful.

1 Like

I don’t mind the make noise stuff. The rest I agree with. People seem to love the instruo stuff, the aesthetics for me are a massive turn off.

Yep, the 0-coast manual is excellent, too

wondered the same thing myself.

1 Like

That is very true, I think the Make Noise manuals are part of the very best synthesizer manuals.
One could basicly learn almost every aspect of synthesis via the Shared System manual I think.

3 Likes

If you use it upside down it looks like a Teddy Bear, or a Panther without whiskers :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Oh god, or the start of one of those bloody salvia trips… too weird for its own good.

2 Likes

Ha!

Good old salvia.

My brother once tried to dig his way out of Reading Festival on salvia. Using his head as the shovel. I’d have helped him, but I was busy stalking two delicious looking zebras behind the portaloos.

7 Likes

This’ll be the best thing I’ll read today

1 Like

Yuk.
Salvia is one thing. Salvia at Reading Festival no thanks! Haha

4 Likes

just smoke dmt, mate
fuck that sage/salivia nonsense…

communication with spirit.
atta boy.
shrug emoji

2 Likes

Well folks, if we are not seeing parallels between the messy designed eurorack vs neat and tidy synths, and the messy realm of salvia vs friendly and generally not too bad DMT realm, we haven’t been paying attention.

What will miserable git moan about next week? Tune in to find out.

7 Likes

LOL.
cant fucking wait!

2 Likes

I fucking can.

4 Likes