Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

Except for the knobs, does it bring anything to the table which isn, t covered from pigments, massive x or serum?

It looks like it, checkout 26m:50s in loopops video.

Also the manual says this:

Shape: Holding the Shift button and (or when latched in shift mode) turning this encoder controls the given LFO Shape. This allows you to continuously sweep through the four available LFO waveforms (i.e. sine, sawtooth, square and sample & hold).

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

Sonically, I don’t think so, but we need to get our hands (and ears) on one to know for sure.

I have Omnisphere, and I don’t expect Argon8 to make sounds a good VST with wavetables can’t do.

But there is something in the character of the sound of the Argon8 that I hear.
It’s a depth/richness of harmonics that got me initially excited about it.

The factory patch demo they posted had some “wow” moments for me.

1 Like

Wow. Now I‘m really interested!
Have to dig through a few youtube demos later, because what I‘ve heard so far sounded rather boring to me; the synthesis, features and ui though seem to be really interesting.

I think the main thing to remember here folks, is that is still pretty much a fairly budget synth. Being Modal - & the fact that from a distance it looks really smart - I had it my head this would be high quality. Don’t get me wrong - it’s ok - but I was really underwhelmed when I spent some time on one at Sheffield. Wobbly pots, keybed not great, all a bit cheap… But like I say it’s about expectation & what you need from a synth & what price point you’re looking at

Keybed should be good? In theory, the same as on the Prophet 6 / OB-6 and the like? I have one on preorder and am pretty excited about it. I think the pre-production units were a little different from the final one that’s about to land, but I guess I’ll find out in the next few days. The preset bank demo video had some really great sounds - looking forward to digging in with it.

1 Like

This is the best demo so far imo

4 Likes

felt crap to me…maybe it was the way it was fitted to the chassis etc though - it was the Synthfest demo model to be fair. But it’s a budget synth is my only point - just worth remembering.

1 Like

Oh of course - mine ended up costing significantly sub £500, so it won’t have to do much to punch above it’s weight

1 Like

FWIW - I just wrote Modal to see if they would consider offering a “premium knobs” field upgrade kit. (maybe they will think I’m a premium knob for asking)

I think it would be cool to have some dark acrylic cobalt blue knobs on this synth.
Or anodized aluminum to match the top.

Maybe I can just do that myself, but I have no idea if they are removable.

Edit: Response from Modal “Thanks for getting in touch and for this recommendation. We will consider this in the new year. The knobs are indeed replaceable and use a standard D shaft.”

Also this:

1 Like

Diggin’ those sounds.

You can just push pause on the pre-order if you want, especially if you’re ambivalent. There will be more available later – this especially if you’re someone that doesn’t buy a lot of stuff.

My practice too, is to never buy anything on “maybe a firmware update will address this …” I’ve got to like what it is with no ‘ifs’.

My two cents.

Thanks, good advice. I’m in though!

I don’t expect massive changes, as others have said the sound quality from other videos show a lot more character. I do think they will update it, but agree with your philosophy because there is no guarantee that the best DSP programmer doesn’t get in an argument with a PM over the coffee at the office and leave the company in a huff :slight_smile:

I want to at least get it and explore it. If I didn’t I’d feel empty inside and write a very long sad song.

2 Likes

Usually the caps can simply be pulled off.
It’s just a plastic/metal/rubber-something cap sitting on the axis of a potentiometer/rotary encoder.

You’d have to messure the diameter inside of the knob and the height. There are different shaped ones, like D-shape etc.
Just have to get that right.

I’d be careful pulling the knobs off the pot shafts on the Argon8… you may well pull the pot off the board given the wobble I experienced…

OK - While I’m waiting for my Argon8 to arrive I’m starting to think about how I want to automate it with my DT.

One obvious thing is to map 8 CCs and use P-locks.
For example, changing OSC1 Shape per step.

I’ll probably map 4 of CCs on the DT to Joystick X+, X-, Y+ and Y- because you can map a lot of things to that on Argon8. P-locks, and LFO on the DT will work sweet with that.

The current midi CC’s on the Argon8 have plenty of things for the DT to grab onto:

1 Like

Yeah, esp since I’ve never done something like that before.

I’m really hoping theres a positive difference in build quality between the early model you had hands on with and the production model.

In his review Loopop said the build as a whole feels very solid, but also said the encoders were plastic with a bit of wobble. He didnt see the knobs as a con overall.

Curious if the “wobble” is because the knob is slighly off center, or that the mounted connector has some give by design.

1 Like

Man, that’s a great deal!

Speaking of value after listening closely to the patch demos again, I think the default filter sounds great, and is potentially under rated. I know everyone has opinions on filters, but for me the digital 2 pole morhing filter they have pairs nicely with the character of the sounds. It let’s through some warmth on the edges.

Hmm, I guess it‘s rather unlikely that you‘d damage the circuit board or pull of the potentiometers; for repairs you usually have to pull off the caps, unscrew the front plate and take it off.

It can‘t be that fragile^^

1 Like