Model 1 DJ/Studio mixer

Had the chance to test a model 1 and had the same experience. So eventually this might become my mixer of choice as well. Wonderful piece of kit. Sorry to hear about the issues.

on the other hand I see many people with 0 issues online on different fora and online.
also the fact that they released a 4 channel version after years, with literally nothing changed, is quite a statement haha! ‘we got this right the first time’

1 Like

thanks! a basic question: the (pricy) DSUB connectors have balanced TRS cables, which is nice, but isnt this quite useless if they are connected to synths/instrumentds/pedals that usually are unbalanced?

I agree that it probably doesn’t make much difference. And connecting the aux sends via a balanced cable to some pedals may even cause pbs if they use the the ring signal for something else (eg Source Audio for their Neuro app).

1 Like

I had exactly the same issue. Sweetwater exchanged my mixer 3 times and they all had the same problem, even the fourth one does it.

I think its by design at this point and the only way to prevent it from happening is having the gain loud enough that the filter always kicks in. I think this could also be related to the fact the filter only works if there is sound coming through the left input channel.

Anyway my Cue B stopped working last night.

ouch, still under warranty?

Yep. Despite the issues I still like the model 1. I dont really feel like changing after all the investment into the db25 cables/antelope interface etc.

1 Like

I mainly play/improveise live, but I have an H4n on one of the master outs to record ideas on the fly.

2 Likes

One more question; if you use cue b as third send, is this pre or post fader?

I was thinking i could use it as send to my octa, and the outs of the octa through the boum compressor, and those outs back in to a stereo channel of the model 1.

Could i then select which channels to send through octa + compressor using the cue b buttons?

Still struggling with the thought of the best way to incorporate the bim/bam/boum in the setup

The Cue B send is pre-fader but post channel filter/sculpt (and you can adjust the send’s overall gain). I typically use it for sending single channels to OT for effects and real-time resampling/mangling.

Edit: re the second part of your question - yes, you can select which channels you send to Cue B ( and send multiple channels at once), but as they are sent pre-fader/vca, you cannot “mix” their relative volume.

I recommend that you have a careful look at the block diagram on p. 16 of the manual, which shows the routing very clearly.

1 Like

Will do once i have it! Saturday
I understand i would have to mix the volumes on the synths themselves then. This makes it less attractice but could be done if i really need sidechain compression, otherwise might be best to put boum after master out of model 1

1 Like
1 Like

Use BAM and BIM on send, Boum on master, Heat direct on instrument

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!

So there it is! Loving it so far.
After connecting it to my synths I didnt hear anything at first, got me scared, untill I realised all the ‘trim’ pots were set to 0 haha.

Everything seems to be working fine, only thing I notice is:

1. an audible buzz/noise from the headphone cue output at high volume (starting with the volume pot at around 70% full). The master outputs do not have this buzz so don’t think its my connnections
  2. cue B output seems a bit louder than cue A

Do you recognize this?

4 Likes

From what I can see in your photo you have the panning between the cue and mix set all the way over to mix. Can you test with the pot set all the way over to cue?

Regarding volume, I didnt notice any difference between Cue A/B but I only use those when DJing so didnt pay much attention to it.

Also read Page 8 regarding the Cue’s there is a difference.

Oh and dont forget to try out the “drive” on each channel, it really warms things up and I love this on my db-01.

1 Like

Thanks, I like it too, still find the buzz/hum on the headphone cue a bit strange,

Its most evident on cua a, wicht the cue/mix all the way to mix, and volume/level high (almost max) Is this normal?

I just checked on mine.

I also get some white noise hiss at extreme headphone amp levels (above 7/10). Given that I never need to push the amp in practice above 1/10 (HD 26) or 2/10 (HD650) for comfortable monitoring, this is perfectly acceptable for me (given that the mixer is fully analog with quite a bit of electronics involved).

I also hear a slight difference in volume between Cue A and B at the same amp settings (I also found Cue B a bit louder), but as mentioned above, the two sides do not have the same amp specs and electronic circuits.

Finally, for good headphone monitoring of the main mix with Cue A, make sure the “source” is set all the way to “mix”.