Model:Cycles

You can just call GC and they will pretty much give you the 15%. I prefer Musician’s Friend though because no tax for my state and the rewards (8% of purchase that you can apply to future purchases).

image We also had this crazy bastard in Eurovision

1 Like
2 Likes

No wonder we fought for independence.

5 Likes

yea we had the opal fruits vibes too.

is dime now officislly daim? I thought they were just being wacky. what will they think of next those crazy guys🤪

1 Like

:joy: oh my dayz,

@darenager um bongo :rofl::ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

What is the subject of this thread, I forgot.

7 Likes

I think this Model:Cycles has this
Ok some times a digital device flukes a sound —eg Autechres Boss Delay/Pitchshifter/Sampler a 12 bit half rack from the 80’s -Boss RPS-10
“They emphasize that their sound comes from combinations of tools and techniques, and “creative routing”, more than any single magical machine, although many of their tools possess unusual capabilities. This has been the case since their early days, when, for example, they used a Boss delay that had a pitch/trigger input, allowing it to be used as a realtime sampler. When the square wave input it received for determining pitch had resonance added, the pitch would drift between notes in a special way. If the output was mixed back in as a control pitch, it could produce unusual fractal patterns, something that cannot be recreated easily with software, or on an embedded system.”

8 Likes

M:C (Model:Crisps)

5 Likes

sounds like it affects the voltage for the pitch rather than adding harmonics or asymmetrical distortion , but I get you… if I am! Lol!
I wonder if it would have a similar effect
Edit: i get you know , actually sounds like a very interesting idea

A study of confectionary and snack items and chronological and geographic variation of said products.

4 Likes

For the Digitone (and a couple of other devices, like the Peak), I really like to use the Empress Zoia to round off the harsh edges. But any filter will get you part of the way there, as will sample rate reduction.

My Model:Cycles arrives in less than 90min!

7 Likes

National beverage of the Congo!

1 Like

I was addicted to it as a child

1 Like

We all were :rofl:

1 Like

me too. before elektron gear it was all about Um Bongo

[were gonna get kicked off this thread] :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

image Did you have Sukie?

1 Like

No but I think I went to school with her sister, was she an Um Bongo fan? Course that was back in the Opal Fruit days.

1 Like

I grabbed mine this morning and added a Korg NTS-1 to input the M:C.

2 Likes

I think about this a lot, and more so recently since getting the Model:Samples.

In the late 90s I was using a $60 DR-110 (limited), a $400 DR-770 (less limited but perhaps not as nice sounding), and it wasn’t until the $479 Electribe Sampler ES-1 came out around 2000 that I could really start to mold and shape sounds from the start, by way of importing my own samples.

Keep in mind that after inflation $479 in '99/'00 would be $731 in 2020 dollars.

Now the ES-1 was a lot of fun, but it did not sound great. The DACs were cheap. The 32khz limitation was not a funky lo-fi feature, but really more of an annoyance.
It could import something like 100 mono samples on an SD card , up to 95 seconds total.
I tried to get serious work done with it but I was probably both too young to know how to exploit and overcome its sonic limitations, and also too impatient.
(At least with the “limited” Elektron gear, the sound is there 100%.)

Once I got my MPC2000XL a year later, I could finally let my samples breath with the much better onboard digital filter, the 8 outs, the 32MB of RAM, the vastly superior digital sampling engine. And for years the only thing I made techno with, and performed techno live with was that MPC. I’m still amazed I could afford it at the time.

For how I use it, and for my needs the M:S is kind of all of those previous boxes, combined into one very affordable box. (accounting for inflation , $299 in 2020 would have been $195 in 2000)
It has many of the same facilities that I used on the MPC2KXL.
A solid filter, light mangling via reverse/loop/start point, velocity sensitivity.

So yea, M:S in 2000 would have definitely blown my mind as well. That’s one of the reasons I love it so much. I am so appreciative of the things this box can do that so many of my boxes before it could not, and how fast the experience of creation is with it.

M:C takes it a step further with great sounding, simplified FM and Wavetable synthesis.

I feel like there are two main kinds of innovation. The first, is the cutting edge. This requires heavy development, lots of brain power, imagination, startup costs, and the willingness to explore things that are not yet fully understood. Genuinely new ideas, new technics, new concepts.

The second, is using those same tools to bring existing discoveries to more people than ever before.

You hear people talk about how the phone in your pocket is millions of times more powerful than computers from the 60s. It’s amazing that we can have such capabilities, accessible to so many people, at relatively affordable prices.

Well, the M:S and M:C are those phones in our 2020 pockets.
And I couldn’t be more excited to hear the new music that people are making with them.

16 Likes