Model:Cycles

How do you sync the Arp of the Launchkey to the Tempo of the M:C?

Edit : I found the answer

I just watched the Stimming review. Kind of concerned about his comments regarding the reliability of the rubber buttons and pads. I don’t have the Samples but just ordered the Cycles, so don’t have any experience with their build quality. Has this been an issue with others? Does the rubber actually fall apart? If so, that’s really bad news…

What’s the answer?

When synced externally, the M:C follows the tempo of the Arp.

1 Like

No.

I beat the crap out of my Model Samples, purchased in January.

No issues here.

There were early production issues a year ago with Model Samples. Those have been remedied.

2 Likes

Yeah - plus, I think Mr. Stimming even mentions how he had an early (maybe even pre-) production unit. He probably had to weather some of the early growing pains.

1 Like

I like to think he broke his so the rest of us wouldn’t suffer so much (since they then fixed the issues)

2 Likes

Everything falls apart eventually. And it is probably silicone. They use silicone to bake cakes this days, so i wouldn’t worry to much.

1 Like

WARNING!!
Hardware malfunction.
There is an annoying problem with some batches of Model/cycles. It has to do with the encoders being loose when you turn the knobs at any direction.
It’s definitely a poorly assembly problem.

Oki I am a heavy Elektron user. I’m a owner of a 1 year old model/samples which have the same physical attributes as the Cycles and I have no problem with the M/S the knobs are as sturdy they can be after a year of usage. They still feel nice.

Here’s the problem with the Cycles. The knobs have good friction but lacks the sturdiness of the model/sample machines.
The cycles how ever does not feel solid enough.
In time they will wear out quicker than more stable knobs.
It’s subtle but definitely noticeable. The looseness varies from one knob the another, thats also a problem, they are inconsistent. Only my decay knob is sturdy.
I had to return two cycles machines.
Maybe they had a rush making these machines, I don’t know. Besides that It’s a wonderful machine.

It’s a production problem.
I hope they fix it ASAP.

Cheers

Black dot.

Also true with my cycles, 7 encoders have noticeable play when turning before friction starts. And all except of the pitch encoder additionally wobble.

I really hope this does not affect longevity though.

1 Like

My encoders have a little play but nothing to worry about I can not compare them with other ekektron gear. I have 300€ eurorack modules with way worst play…

Mine doesn’t have such problem. Possibly a first batch problem… Seems fixed from my personal experience.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. It might be a first batch problem

1 Like

No wobbly encoder here

1 Like

The encoders wiggle a little, but no worse than my Model:Samples. It’s just how encoders feel. It may seem worse because some of them are kinda stiff to begin with. They loosen up a bit after some use.

Frankly, I don’t see how there could be any first article problems when it comes to the hardware / interface components. The M:C is probably 90+% the same hardware as the M:S. Then again, if we all had a nickel (five-pence, krona, etc.) for every time someone complained about wobbly pots and encoders, we’d be able to buy the new Korg 2600 FS by now.

3 Likes

Also I’m not even super convinced the people who complain about wobbly knobs are the ones who heavily use them… Many people seem to prefer programming, pressing play and a few twists n turns here and there instead of “performing” in a way that would cause significant wear to the knobs :tongue:

One of few things I found immediately striking was the build quality being so solid - probably because I really expected a cheapo plastic and similar encoder feel to those on the MicroFreak.

I think Stimming makes the best, honest and entertaining reviews but it’s plainly visible he’s full on when he’s banging the crap out of the pads and buttons and using a full hand to turn a tiny encoder… and throwing the machines around - lmao.

He’s got a goodie bag under that desk.

1 Like

Wobbly knobs? Come on. If they werk, they werk. I have knobs that are SO wobbly on some of my modules. Years later, they are fine.

Pro Tip: use your hands:fingers to turn the knobs, not vice grips.

But turning knobs with hand tools is my techno-industrial side project’s whole Brand ™

5 Likes

Like this guy? Heh

5 Likes