Moog Sub 37

@Pulsn, I know you said it was a long story but I still would be interested in knowing why you send the Sub 37 back, please.

@leighzi88 thanks for the filter demo. Thatā€™s what I wanted to hear. Shooting lo-fi drums through the EPS into the S37, plus I get the option to layer sounds on the AR and drive it trough the S37.

The other point you made was everything is in front of me. . I stare at a computer screen for 8-9hours a day. My eyes are tired and sometimes I want to zone out and just play.

S37 it is !

Moog site says:

The Sub 37 Tributeā€™s new features include Duo Mode, which allows oscillator 1 and oscillator 2 to be played independantly, programmable arpeggiator/step sequencer, two modulation busses with assignable source and destination options, access to 256 presets, and a 37-note velocity sensitive keyboard with aftertouch.

As for this vs. the Analog Four/Analog Keys, everybodyā€™s got his/her own tastes as far as features, sound etc. Some people go for the bigger feature set, confident he/she will be able to tweak the sound to exactly what is desired. Some people go straight for the sound, features be damned. Some people want a simpler UI instead of having to memorize button combos and dive into menus.

In an ideal world, the sound, UI and features are all there. But in the real world, theyā€™re often not, and so each individual must decide on what is most importantā€¦

I have a minitaur and a buddy of mine has the sub phatty, if I couldnā€™t have multiple synthsā€¦I wouldnā€™t hesitate to sell those two for the sub37ā€¦however, I have no plans of selling my minitaurā€¦itā€™s a beast and I love itā€¦but again, if I had to pick only one, my sub37 would win the decision (just my personal opinion, everyone has different tastes)

If you can get a good price for your minitaur / SP, I would go for the S 37 ā€¦ the duo mode is great, very flexible, and the modulation options on the S37 are insane. Hereā€™s a quick vid of a 3 note sequence that uses the duo mode (you can have individual steps in the sequence either duo or non-duo - cool!) ā€¦ mod 1 modulates mod 2 (vca) ā€¦ took 5 minutes to make this patch

you gotta love MOOG (and Amos), this is an amazing firmware update

1 Like

Yeah!!!

Amos is a legend! Great to see a designer so into his product, and super-available on the moog discussion board to answer userā€™s questions ā€¦ this new firmware makes the best product in the last 10 years even bester!

Love the new firmware update - now whereā€™s the VST?

Example of the new sequencer + machinedrum :slight_smile:

Seeing lots of SUB 37s on Craigslist.
I think all the junkies are trading up to the Prophet 6

Iā€™ve been using my sub 37 as a controller for the a4 using the midi mapping options available in the (beta) sub 37 editor. Man, the a4 really comes to life under a good set of knobs. Such a different experience having a big cutoff knob you donā€™t have to press to turn.

I also prefer it over the analog keys, as that joystick, while cool, is pretty hard to get proficient at. I would always introduce pitch bends when I was trying to just sweep the ā€œmod wheelā€, etc.

Sub 37 editor is still buggy as far as mapping ccā€™s, but Iā€™m part of the beta testing group and Amos from Moog has been emailing with me daily to eliminate the bugs. Itā€™s gonna be really nice when itā€™s finally 100%

Anyone compared the SUB 37 to the Voyager > I prefer the sound of the Voyager until now > it seems to sound smoother but ā€œricherā€ in harmonics , but I can only compare from wat I hear on youtubeā€¦

It would be so nice, if Elektron would release a hardware controller for the A4. Im pretty sure it would make it so much better to use !

Yes, there are some differences, as I can tell from my humble experience.

Obviously having three VCOs of the Voyager makes quite a difference and generating a ā€œricherā€ and ā€œsmootherā€ sound is easy by just using all of them. The sub-oscillator of the Sub37 does a good job, but it canā€™t substitute a full-fledged third VCO.

The VCOs of the Voyager are more unstable. Itā€™s not much after warming up, but I guess, that little more ā€œfloatingā€ makes a difference for the overall sound too.

The LP filters are ladder-filters and similar. You can switch between 1,2,3,4 poles. But there could be differences, which I never checked.

Nevertheless, the Voyager reacts differently, if the headphone output is used to overdrive the filter. There are some formant like sounds to be discovered, that I have missed on the Sub37. Itā€™s a weak effect, but there is something subtle. The two options for ā€œoverdrivingā€ on the Sub37 make the sound much more grittier and dirtier, self-oscillation is feasible, but itā€™s definitely not the same effect compated to the Voyager - soundwise.

TBO I have not made a one by one comparison until now and maybe for scientific reason I should do it. I use the Voyager for all those lovely classic moog sounds - and also - for many sounds going beyond a Model-D.

I agree, the sounds of the Voyager are smoother by nature, if compared to the Sub37. There is sonic territory, where both can sound similar, but if more agressive, gritty sounds are required, the Sub37 is my candidate of choice. I am happy to have the oportunity to use both of them ā€¦ :smiley:

Yes, there are some differences, as I can tell from my humble experience.

Obviously having three VCOs of the Voyager makes quite a difference and generating a ā€œricherā€ and ā€œsmootherā€ sound is easy by just using all of them. The sub-oscillator of the Sub37 does a good job, but it canā€™t substitute a full-fledged third VCO.

The VCOs of the Voyager are more unstable. Itā€™s not much after warming up, but I guess, that little more ā€œfloatingā€ makes a difference for the overall sound too.

The LP filters are ladder-filters and similar. You can switch between 1,2,3,4 poles. But there could be differences, which I never checked.

Nevertheless, the Voyager reacts differently, if the headphone output is used to overdrive the filter. There are some formant like sounds to be discovered, that I have missed on the Sub37. Itā€™s a weak effect, but there is something subtle. The two options for ā€œoverdrivingā€ on the Sub37 make the sound much more grittier and dirtier, self-oscillation is feasible, but itā€™s definitely not the same effect compated to the Voyager - soundwise.

TBO I have not made a one by one comparison until now and maybe for scientific reason I should do it. I use the Voyager for all those lovely classic moog sounds - and also - for many sounds going beyond a Model-D.

I agree, the sounds of the Voyager are smoother by nature, if compared to the Sub37. There is sonic territory, where both can sound similar, but if more agressive, gritty sounds are required, the Sub37 is my candidate of choice. I am happy to have the oportunity to use both of them ā€¦ :D[/quote]
Thanx .for explainingā€¦ great info .the Sub 37 is much cheaper but thereā€™s something missing in the audio-examples Iā€™ve heard in comparison to the Sub 37. thereā€™s allready enough agressiveness in the synths I have. And thereā€™s someting in the sound - examples of the Voyager I donā€™t feel in the Sub.

A pleasure, if this was helpful ā€¦ :smiley:

But donā€™t take my description as far as the Sub37 is supposed to be a more agressively or more gritty sounding synth by nature. Donā€™t judge it by the audio samples. Often demonstrations are supposed to show off, what is new and special. The Sub37 can sound very smooth as well, but you can give its sound some bite, that a Voyager will not deliver - at least I donā€™t know how :wink:

If itā€™s ā€œonlyā€ for the money, I would suggest to check out both in the real world. Both are great synths and comparing the whistles and bells of both, I would carefully say, the Sub37 has more flexibility under the hood then the Voyager, while the Voyager is more of that classic Moog voice. Well, and the Touch-Surface-Controller of the Voyager is one of my favourite toys for live performance :wink:

A pleasure, if this was helpful ā€¦ :smiley:

But donā€™t take my description as far as the Sub37 is supposed to be a more agressively or more gritty sounding synth by nature. Donā€™t judge it by the audio samples. Often demonstrations are supposed to show off, what is new and special. The Sub37 can sound very smooth as well, but you can give its sound some bite, that a Voyager will not deliver - at least I donā€™t know how :wink:

If itā€™s ā€œonlyā€ for the money, I would suggest to check out both in the real world. Both are great synths and comparing the whistles and bells of both, I would carefully say, the Sub37 has more flexibility under the hood then the Voyager, while the Voyager is more of that classic Moog voice. Well, and the Touch-Surface-Controller of the Voyager is one of my favourite toys for live performance :wink:
[/quote]
Good advice :+1: