Moog Subharmonicon

Subharmonicon may replace 0-coast in my rack…just saying

Totally agree about it not doing a lot of things, and I’m happy to be surprised when it does more than what I’m expecting. The thing that I am expecting it to do is be inspiring and you can’t put a price on that in an instrument. Mine is supposed to arrive this afternoon too.

1 Like

Andrey Smirnov, sweet guy :slight_smile:

I played the opening performance at CTM in Berlin when he had his Sounds in Z exhibition there.

2 Likes

This should be worth watching.

2 Likes

Mine showed up over lunch and I’ve been grinning like an idiot going through the patch sheets provided. Full disclosure, this is my first Moog, so I can’t do any comparison to M32 or DFAM. It does not behave like I thought it would, even after watching every demo I could find. Its going to be a lot of fun to figure out.

2 Likes

I think Moog should have sticked with the mother theme and named it Subharmonimom.

13 Likes

So i see Look Mum No Computer did a very speedy and blurry teardown.

I queued up the significant bit.

Also i grabbed the image of the processor:
SubH Processor

That thing is no joke there. And this is an analog synth?? Looks like around 100 pins, and i’m guessing its an ARM.

– Joseph Schillinger

3 Likes

I so wish I could afford this. I just tried one out at dlxmusic in sthlm. It was hard to stop twisting knobs tbh. Had no idea exactly what I was doing sometimes but funfactor is 100 for sure! Instabuy if I was rich.

Subharmomicon?

5 Likes

A digitally controlled analog synth. Lots of MIDI spec for a Moog in this format; I’m sure the rhythm dividers, sequencers, and most likely the envelopes are digitally generated. Still, a lot of firepower there (which hopefully means some firmware updates are possible? The quantizers are already very useful, but some additional scales and tunings would always be welcome).

2 Likes

Subharmomimom ? :grin:

3 Likes

Now you re overdoing it.

:wink:

There s also the more naughty route: Subharmoniconcubine.

I got the Instruo I-o47 recently. based on the Arp 2500 filter, has 4 outputs - LP, BP, HP, and Notch with a variable center frequency. Also has some other very cool functions. Can get some crazy stereo effects from a mono in when using the LP and Notch outputs together and modulating the center frequency on the notch. Module sounds gorgeous too. Has a really nice overdrive/waveshaper, and switchable self oscillation, so can even be used as a VCO - the cutoff maps to 1V/oct. Also has a strike input so can be pinged for percussive sounds.

@chm_jacques I’ve had my eye on the Falistri for a while. How is it?

1 Like

Deep enough that I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface; I’ve only had it a few weeks. But it’s all very functional – you can self-patch it for complex modulations (and complex oscillations at audio levels) or use the individual components to provide a host of functions for other modules (LFOs, envelopes, sub-oscillators, clock dividers, ring mod, slewing, lots of interesting timed events) or combinations of the two.

The comparison is to Maths, and that makes sense; dual function generators are at the core of both but there are enough differences to keep it interesting. And like Maths, sometimes it feels a bit like a hodge-podge, but it is a well-curated hodge-podge (especially once you start self-patching). I wanted something different, and it feels like a worthy alternative.

(Also, since you mentioned your Instruo filter… although this doesn’t affect sound, the module itself is gorgeous in a way that Instruo designs share. We patch with our eyes :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Would the Falistri allow you to do the SubH like generation of two subharmonics like Loopop demonstrated (see here) using a DFAM, an external oscillator, and Maths ?

This thing is full of explorative, reckless abandon!!

I’ve taken to using sequencer 2 as a clicky attack with vco2 muted. It adds wild rhythms to even a smooth vco1. What. A. World.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried, but I think so? I would check, but everything’s currently disassembled as I contemplate a new flow for my case.

1 Like

This thread needs some audio demos!

Thanks for the heads up. Starting to listen to it now. Mylar sure kills it.

Video link again:

2 Likes