Moog Subharmonicon

Transposition is one option, but even then you’ve got to factor in that neither sequencer is guaranteed to be in sync with your other device. I guess you either embrace the chaos or make use of the reset input. A clock divider applied to the SubH master clock could be useful here, too, but the 1/4 clock offered by the Mother’s assignable output probably wouldn’t be enough.

Taking over the VCOs by external CV does seem to be flying in the face of the SubH’s hermetic magic, but you still have access to the suboscillators and quantization, both of which are interesting and useful in their own right, and could provide great results given the opportunity to take the limelight. Personally I’ve not even got round to interfacing with other gear yet, beyond MIDI sync - the SubH is right next to my modular and in a two-tier rack with the DFAM, but I’m still exploring unpatched and self-patched possibilities. I’m planning a 0-Coast pair-up at the weekend, though, so we’ll see how that goes.

2 Likes

Yeah thats good info eh! When an instrument is inspiring AND leads to finished tracks, thats a great result.

And thats a wrap! I have one on the way:).

I didn’t need to see this either…

2 Likes

Haha, yeah I often wish there was a way to unsee things on this forum. And mute topics before they’re even started.

Buuuut since such a thing doesn’t exist I can confirm that the SubH and P4mer go really nicely together. :wink:

1 Like

I just finished a track featuring the Subharmonicon front and center (plus my A4 and 0-coast), a house-y groove, perfect for Friday night:

13 Likes

Wonderful! I just pick up a Moog Studio SubH + DFAM as I’m listening to your Track.

5 Likes

Thanks! That’s a great combo, if I didn’t already have a Subharmonicon and DFAM I’d definitely be interested in the Studio, especially with the mixer and other extras :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Glad you’re back in the club !

You had one SH previously right ?

1 Like

Yes. I can’t wait to pass it through the Microcosm.

3 Likes

That should be fun! The occasional stutter-y bits on my track are from an Ottobit Jr, but the Microcosm would be more interesting.

1 Like

It’s a great combo, I think Moog have intelligently designed them to complement each other and there are really so many possibilities in patching between them.

it really adds to its coolness, I am using MI marbles to get strange arp effects by using the VCO’s cv inputs

1 Like

Can anyone give me some ideas of what i can do with the patch bay only having:

• OT
  • Rytm
  • Rev2

I have a general sense of using the patches internally, but i am wondering if there is some usage im missing using my other gear.

Rytm is CV in only eh? So i could SubH to modulate rytm?

Same goes for Rev2, CV in only.

Tell me i havent entered the modular rabbit hole!!!???

You could use the impulse machine of the AR to send a trigger to the SH.

1 Like

Yes! Thanks 7schlaf. Reading some other threads on the subject now. Great lead.

1 Like

Got my beady eye on this bundle.

Here in Poland my options are pre-order from Thomann / Skylark for about 1535 Euros, or an immediate buy from Gear4Music at 1689. I wonder if the latter is making the most of the fact that they’ve got “10 in stock”…

Choices choices…

Sure, that is a nice bundle.
But do you really need a mixer and the patch-cable-organizer?
The latter surely not (yeah, nice gimmick).
This little mixer is convenient for jamming, but personally I like to have single tracks of each instrument.

Getting the DFAM now and the SH a few weeks later would help to get to know each instrument solely better and spare some money.

Further agony of choice would be: should you add the 2- or 3-tier-rack-stand?
Because there is the mother-32, which adds a multiplier, attenuator and lfo - besides the oscillator, filter, envelope and ext. input - to the patchbay :wink: Or maybe adding a eurorack case? :diddly:

1 Like

Argh, the voice of reason…get back, get back!

I would be a marketing department’s dream…seduced by the modular starter’s perfect setup, all packaged in a fluffy cloud of benignity…

That said, after several GAS workout routines over the years, my gratification delay mechanism is tempered, it surprises me sometimes in fact. Something to do with having a family to support (even if I can afford it) :slight_smile:

Though they say the dopamine gets released in the seeking of the object, not in the final acquisition. So I guess even window shopping can be a neuro-chemical bathing fest too…it used to be the Richer Sounds catalog, now it’s the rabbit warren of internet searching.

Now, where was I?..

Ah yes, DFAMS, Mothers and Subs…Oh my!!

3 Likes

The SubH is a good match for machines with CV in, because it puts out two sequences, three clock sources, a combined trigger, and so on. You could also used those impulse tracks on the Rytm to trigger the reset on the SubH, or to throw yet another trigger source into the mix. Or as a variable clock source (could be interesting with % or other trig conditions).

3 Likes

Order it all from Thomann and test it before the 30 days is up. Did that was a few expensive pieces just so I could get over the GAS.

1 Like

Ahh this is good info! Got it last night and was running different outs through my chase bliss dark world and red panda tensor. Nothing amazing yet!

But the idea of three clock etc seems like something really wild could happen.

How does sending clock out via CV affect the master (in my case, OT is typically in charge)?