Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

Absolutely not completely non-violent, but definitely the most disconcerting movie I have ever seen.

4 Likes

Never heard of this but I’d watch just about anything with Thewlis well… except Rings of Power.

1 Like

Rings of empowerment :rofl:

1 Like

Saw this last week. The director was there for Q&A afterwards. My friend wanted to stay but we left. Found it quite harsh on the lugs! I’ll always give indie stuff time tho.

1 Like

They rung in my ears like tinnitus from having baby shark on blast…

1 Like

The shark is always right

1 Like

I came here to mention Kids and Gummo, but someone beat me to it.

There is some violence in this one, but it’s not really bloody or gory, just some weird body horror stuff. EDIT: After rewatching the trailer and thinking about it, there is a fair bit of violence, but it’s so overshadowed by other things in the movie, the violence doesn’t really become the main focus.

I saw it in a little arthouse theater here and went in blind because the trailer was pretty vague, but it looked kinda trippy. It ended up sticking with me for a while because it was just so… bizarre and uncomfortable.

2 Likes

“Eraserhead”, by David Lynch

the “Rubber Johnny” short film by Chris Cunningham

6 Likes

I really really wish Cunningham had the financing to direct feature films :confused:

I really love his aesthetic.

Eraserhead i finally watched more recently and it’s held up SO WELL.

More disconcerting than violent (there are some moments in episodes, but spread out and not consistent), but Twin Peaks Season 3 was also excellent.

3 Likes

Some good picks in this thread already.

I’ll add The Discovery as it hasn’t been picked yet. Certainly not the most concerting, but I think the theme could be. I enjoyed the film.

You’re not the first person to say good things about Underwater…Might have to check it if it comes from someone who liked Under the skin.
This last one i saw and… i was in awe from start to finish.

It’s one of those movie when i don’t know if it has to be watched again because the impact is still vivid many years later.

I have this thing with all the Park Chan-Wook movies or the Aronofsky ones.

And also :

This shall never be discussed again…i still haven’t recovered from it.
Don’t know if i ever will.

3 Likes

I think he had chances, but rejected them because the financing meant a loss of creative control.

1 Like
5 Likes

Midsommer

1 Like

Gozu

1 Like

Watched the Midsommar directors cut last week. The extra half hour of exposition made a good film much, much better imo. I’m really drawn to Asters style. Gonna rewatch Hereditary this week I reckon.

Also special shout out for Marathon Man. That type of torture is truly horrifying to me. Pretty uncomfortable viewing while not being particularly violent in the conventional sense.

2 Likes

Also The Lobster / Killing of a sacred deer from Yorgos Lanthimos catalogue. Both very unsettling but well worth one’s time. I still haven’t watched Dogtooth yet so that’s next.

Funny Games by Haneke is very very disconcerting indeed. Pretty sure there is not a single shot of actual violence, but unpleasant things happen off screen in a way that hits just as hard.

3 Likes

Une pure merveille…