Most PUNCHY Drum machine

The Division Department 01/IV and Jomox Airbase combo. Bass from FR777.
All Jomox are cutting through the mix and yet they all different.
Airbase is the creamiest, 09 is crispy, 888 is heavy.
In the above example kick and snare are 01/IV. Additional side tom and rimshot from Airbase. Hihats are both from 01/IV and Airbase.

15 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

What about the deton8?

It’s super fun! I just jam with it on its own usually so I don’t know how it is in a mix…

When I had a 01/IV I remember great sorta 808 style kicks. Obviously very easy to layer a ((( klick ))) too.

Tanzmaus kick was a bit like a 909 but found an almost uncontrollable amount of sub frequencies. I still love a completely raw, unmolested 909 bass drum :nerd_face:

Honestly you can get a ridiculous kick pitching down a crunchy sample. The right kick is easy to make but less easy to recognise.

2 Likes

Thanks for this post; it made something click for me. Since then I’ve been having a great time with the Model:Samples, sculpting acoustic samples from machines of this vintage. It’s fun in a way that I didn’t expect, totally different from drum synths. For example, turning a power rock tom into a kick rules.

:+1:

3 Likes

This video reminded me that the original TR8 was pretty damned punchy.

2 Likes

really sick

1 Like

So dear punchy fellows…

I grabbed Dr-2 by Mordor and can assure- it’s fkkn punchy as nothing else. Very close to 909 (don’t have it on the table right now so can’t compare directly but as far as I remember “that” sound- it’s pretty close ).

With comp per channel and all those little “humanizers”, it sounds completely groovy and alive.

Best decision I’ve made in drum machine business: )

5 Likes

Congratulations! sounds like you’re happy with your choice and in the end that’s all that matters. Chiming in late here but from all the Jomox boxes, the Alpha Base is the most complete. Using it with a Cirklon is heaven.
It’s not just the kick… every channel that goes through the analog vca/vcf cuts through any mix like butter. But - it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I think however, the only box I’ve ever owned, which i still do btw, that has the ability to literally blow my speakers and windows… is the Machinedrum.

You can explode heads with that thing - the digital low end on a kick can cause serious damage if you don’t know what you’re doing.

3 Likes

Never liked MD at the times it was out, used Jomox 09 + 808/606 etc… and don’t like it much now : )
But sure it definitely can do a lot and it sounds very into face. However a bit too “soulless” to me…

Alphabase is super nice of course, probably best from the J series.

Sick as fuck, gutted I had to let mine go just when I was getting good sounds out of it…

In 2022, has to be the OT.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MD is huge and can easily emerge in a lot of different genres, I wish I had the uw but the standard one can do a lot of stuff.
DRM1 mk3 is my first and favorite drum synth, very distinct and rich sound imo but can be a bi**h to program (some days is fabulous, some is shit).
I used for a week DFAM and the sound is very good but I don’t consider it a drum machine per se, can do percussions but also other weird sounds.

1 Like

Any cool examples of MD doing it which sound irresistible to you?

What makes Modor dr2 quite unique and cool is on board sidechain comp per channel and extremely nice interface of using it, makes things +18% more punchy!

I’m not a hater, but I wouldn’t put 2k moneys onto a 6 channel digital drum machine.
No matter how punchy it is. I’d like to have a pulsar too, but again - the moneys are spent elsewhere.

I like to load samples with punch und think it’s good enough, if you eq, comp, drive it.

Hate me :wink:

I like my lxr2, it’s perhaps not that punchy, but it’s small, has 4 outs and pairs great with octatrack.
I like the drum synths in the force too.

2 Likes

Not a single person is voting for Nord Drum (2/3/…)?

3 Likes

Are there examples of it in a techno/house context?

Everyone says something different. Totally depends on what you do with your mix, buses and mastering. Put your drum bus slightly hot in the mix and get it mastered by someone with decent gear and who knows what they’re doing and your drums will kick, regardless of what machine they originally came from.

2 Likes