Most PUNCHY Drum machine

Good shout. 2nd vote for Nord Drum.

That Akai S20 was brutal.

2 Likes

S20 is insane! Cool sound!

More of a module technically?

But yeah punchy af.

Akai had a single unit drum rack module sometime in the ‘90s, I heard a demo of it once and it was very much like the S20 video, sharp, hard hitting, a misplaced fader or gain knob on the desk could result in an unexpected haircut. Can’t remember the model number, but it had 2 or 3 card slots on the front and was in classic Akai cream.

Akai XE8?

1 Like

That’s the one. My visual memory obviously managed to cross-fertilise it with a Roland R8m. Not quite as punchy as my memory wished me to believe, but interesting nonetheless.

1 Like

Model:Cycles has a punch button right there on the front! How can you get punchier than that?

But seriously, cycles can do punchy really really well to my ears (and my version of what “punchy” means), and that button is seriously fantastic!

2 Likes

I don’t always think of the Digitakt as a drum machine. I tend to use it as a synth just as much. However, it’s got some good punch to it. I mean, it does depend quite a bit on your sample-work, but it’s pretty well punch-in, punch-out.

1 Like

It’s a rompler

It’s a bitler.

1 Like

Mono drums are the way. I record all of mine (tr8s, 909,rz1) in mono and they slam.

7 Likes

And this dreadbox Kinematic Compressor / Filter Sound Demo (no talking) with Elektron Model:Cycles - YouTube

You always talk so highly of the lxr and lxr-02. What makes it so special? I’ve listened to examples and it sounds good but always very digital.

What are you looking for?

There are plenty of solid analog drum machines you can acquire, why not digital?

People still love the MachineDrum!

Yeah, not surprising when they have a simple idea and execution and don’t think it’s worth their energies/R&D to maintain another product line.

I’m just on that eternal quest to find a drum machine that sounds heavy and techno.

Whatever @Jeanne is currently using

4 Likes

jomox 09. /end

What have you tried?
Can you define what you think of when you use the words

“analog”
“digital”
“heavy”
and “techno”?

Obviously there are very many iterations on 808/909 both in analog clone and TR8S digital form.

1 Like

The best sound I’ve had so far is ITB using samples and decapitator, but I’d like something in the hardware realm that is nice and playable for live improvisation, hence my interest in the LXR.

Perkons and Syntakt are both going to get you where you want to go :drum: