Multi-Track Recorder what do you use?

Hey guys, for those that use multi-track recorders, what do you use and would you give it a recommendation? For ten years I’ve used computer-based recorders (DAW) and have had a guts full of them. It’s time to move to a dedicated audio recorder. Any suggestions?

I got a vs2400 here… works great. but…
it does have some “oldskool” problems… midi-clock isnt superdupersolid… just solid… and well… u need a cd if you want to export stuff… so yeah, it gives me that oldskool hardware i am really making music feeling, that computers give me…

but computers are more efficient.

Hey Dreammer, Roland VS2400 nice 2003 old school alright. The multi track I’m currently leaning towards is the Tascam DP-24. Supports SDHC cards and CDRW for Mastering. I know there isn’t a lot in the market due to computer-based solutions being more popular but that’s why I’m posting to see what users use. So I’m thinking the same reason I brought Elektron should be the same reason I’m going multi track recorder. Surely a dedicated device has to be better?

Yamaha AW1600. You can transfer your mixdown as 24bit 48khz wav file to computer for mastering through USB. Typically Yamaha cluttered interface but once you’re familiar with the routines, it’s ok I sometimes wish I had the AW2400.

Hey Dreammer, Roland VS2400 nice 2003 old school alright. The multi track I’m currently leaning towards is the Tascam DP-24. Supports SDHC cards and CDRW for Mastering. I know there isn’t a lot in the market due to computer-based solutions being more popular but that’s why I’m posting to see what users use. So I’m thinking the same reason I brought Elektron should be the same reason I’m going multi track recorder. Surely a dedicated device has to be better?[/quote]

Memory-cards sound cheaper in use then a pile of cd’s :slight_smile:
so that makes it better then my vs2400… I know u can use a vs2480 with scsi stuff and some 3rdparty tool to export straight to pc… but hmm. I also saw scsi memory-card readers for 2480… but then again… I got a vs2400 so thats no option for me.

The big 3 reasons for me to buy mine was:

• I wanted to do some oldstyle recording tools for my toys.
    the combi of digitalmixer/recorder with a dorky interface, was excellent for my needs.
  • It was very cheap on ebay (really got lucky) but it was a bit banged up… so i had to replace the cd-drive, and clean it a bit… find cheap fx-cards… so it was a nice hobby project.
  • I got an mv8800 in the dutch studio (with the extra output card) so one day… I will hook both up together… which should be a very awesome, but “the newest of oldskool-way of work” studio… to connect my other stuff 2 :slight_smile: (and yes, i even found an r-bus cable)

I bet when i hook it up with my elektron-three and the mc909 and the kaos pad… i will have a very nice combi. a nice set… away from the computer…

I have the feeling, if i did not have the mv8800… i would just buy an 8input soundcard, hook it up to a laptop… and do my recording there… but i am old… i like oldfashioned ways… on my laptop my daw is renoise… which is a tracker :slight_smile: which is “the same way” I wrote music when i was 14 :slight_smile:
(though i must admit, renoise is way more powerfull then screamtracker2) :slight_smile:

another good reason to buy a hardware recorder is: They dont have internet… so you never write long answers on fora

enjoy your day buddy

I like the zoom stuff. I have a r24, and a 16 channel desk. I used the h4n + small A&H mixer in the past. The new h6n looks nice too…I bet they come out with an update to their r8 and r24 soon.

I find hardware recorders less of a hassle and error prone. As a bonus they’ve forced me to improve my mixing skills. I can’t be hitting CMD+S to save while playing- and saving as often as not caused hangs or glitches! CF cards have been good to me and I like with batteries it’ll at least let me save the recording if the power goes out.

Currently saving for RME UFX (which can record straight to USB) not because of sound quality, which I’m sure is great, but because it has 12 outs so I can run the 8 group outs of my mixer in AND back out.

I’ll often still dump files into Logic or something to mix. I like keeping mixing separate from arranging and making sounds to a degree.

Even using the octatrack with static machines/parts and internally resampling at 24 bits to “bounce” can be a fun way to mix a bunch of files down.

I’ve found using limited tracks has taught me a lot about how to use “infinite” tracks on computer. Part of it is probably that I “finish” more mixes and that’s more educational than doing it halfway.

Do you still use your AW1600 Emnine? Do you or have you run a DAW? And if so what do you prefer and why?

I want an R8. What’s made you think an update is coming soon? Software or hardware?

Also, with the Octatrack bouncing… Are you pressing however many TRACKS + MIDI button [SRC3 selected]? How much time does this allow? More than 16s recording time?

Also, can you elaborate the last paragraph I quoted. How has limited tracks helped you with mixing on a computer?

A Roland VS-2400, MV-8800 and a MC-909 wow, now that is old school. I had previously looked at the MC-909 but someone directed me to Elektron. I love hardware, I mean good dedicated hardware. I’ve even moved away from MIDI Controllers. Don’t need them if I don’t run software. Once I have a multi-track my DAW will be a dedicated NLE (Non Linear Editor for video). The only down side to the Tascam DP-24 is no support for automation, volume, pan, send, effects so she’ll be old school riding the faders on that too but at least I won’t have to put up with OSX nor WIN.

Hey Jonah, yeah mate computers are a hassle and very prone to errors. I would like a audio recorder that when you switch it on it does exactly what it is meant too, like Elektron machines, no bullshit, it just works. Regarding the Zoom devices, I’ve had Zoom products in the past and I haven’t found them gelling well with me. However I did take a look at the R24 and it looks nice but to many bells and whistles, just a clever multi-track recorder will do. :wink:

I can help out here, most and there is the exception to the rule, DAW software have limited voice counts (Pro Tools 11 - 96 at 48 kHz that’s 48 stereo voices, don’t ask me about 5.1 nor 7.1) but superior voice counts to a multi-track recorder for instance (Tascam DP-24 - 24 at 48 kHz that’s 12 mono and 6 stereo) however Pro Tools track count is 256 at last recall, Tascam track count is in fact 24 x 8 and that’s an impressive 192 (24 voices x 8 virtual tracks per physical track) for a small dedicated multi-track recorder. So even though there are high track counts, what’s important is exactly the voice count and when you use devices with lower voice counts, this includes synthesizers, you work smarter to over come that voicing shortage. The more users have the more they use without thought of the process nor wastage. And once a upon a time that Pro Tools voice count and track count use to be much lower on a native system.

Yep. Only familiar with Soundforge/Ozone which I use for mastering. All the rest is hardware. Once familiarized with the interface (Yamaha manuals are not my favourites - but this unit is pretty straight forward) it will do exactly what you want, switch on, select channel/track, press rec. No intention on going pc route in the near future. FWIW, in 24 bit mode, only 8 tracks available for simultaneous recording/playback, but most work I do is mixer out with a few overdubs so for me this is enough.

Elektron-machines are more interesting then an mc909 design-wise.
allot more “crazy shit” something to byte in on, and learn something.
mc909 is straightforward and simple. nothing fancy, but well done.

Automation on the vs, is not exactly a breeze… I hope when i connect both up. i be able to record automation of the vs on the mv. that should make it more easy… but… didnt test it yet… so safely to say… automation can be allot more easy on your pc. (it is fun though, seeing the flying faders when you recorded your automation)

Good luck on your NLE adventure… I like it… having lots of fun with me puppet-videos :slight_smile:

I like hearing that you still use your multitrack, especially in this computer-based world we are in currently. Just a specific question regarding the AW-1600, I was doing a little research, under what recording format do you have 16 tracks playback? 16 Bit?

Do you have any clips on you tube? Do you use file-based recorders? I use Adobe CS6 PP and soon to crossgrade to a CC subscription.

Do you have any clips on you tube? Do you use file-based recorders? I use Adobe CS6 PP and soon to crossgrade to a CC subscription.[/quote]

I used all kinds of recorders in the past… I think the most fun was
videorecorder (like a tv one) with a camera+wideangle lens attached and simultaniously connected to the tape-out of my mixboard… Also used a computer instead of the vcr (more cumbersome, but little bit better quality)

these days i use a combination of Blender/sony vegas/gimp/virtualdub/python to do my evil :slight_smile:
and allot of puppets. (my friends didnt want to be an actor in my movies, so i replaced them with gi-joe type puppets)

anyways, you can find it at http://www.muzu.tv/dreammer or [url=“http://www.youtube.com/dedreammer”]http://www.youtube.com/dedreammer usually i put the newest stuff first on the muzu thing
the older the movie, the more roland stuff i used… the newer, i used more elektronmachines combined with renoise and the big recorder :slight_smile:

I absolutely love the idea of not being FORCED to record to a computer, so I’m a big fan of stand-alone recorders. I had the Zoom R16 for a while and it was absolutely rock solid. I think Lampeo ended up with it, hope it’s been working out for him!

Anyway, now my stand-alone reorders are a Zoom H4 (which sounds wonderful to my ears) and an old TASCAM PortaStudio 424MKIII tape recorder. Breaks my hear that I cannot find the damn PSU for the tape deck… I’ve been drooling thinking about recording into it again.

I’m saving up for a ZED60-14FX so I can run it into the H4 while I’m in my bed room!

Sorry I do not have much input here besides saying that having the option to record without a computer setup is a f*cking god-send!

Yes, 8 mono & 4 stereo.
Obviously you can only record 8 mono inputs or any alternative mono/stereo configuration simultaneously.

Pretty accurate review from SOS here

I have to say this is the one department of music making where I actually prefer using a computer. Why do you dislike recording into a computer so much, and what are the benefits of a dedicated recorder? Seems to me that you’d have to transfer the recordings over to a computer sooner or later anyhow.

That’s a great variety of video programs you use, I find your subject weird but as a sound and vision creator myself, I appreciate the time and effort put into making even a short music video. You don’t take yourself to seriously and I think that comes across in your clips. Do you do any other styles or is it all 70’s - 80’s psychedelic techno?