Munro Sonic Egg monitors

The real shame is that the speakers sound great :frowning:

1 Like

I recorded a stereo test with a mic sat in the centre of the speakers. Only one speaker is being driven at a time; you hear the right first and then the left. Definitely no question about imbalance :rofl:

oh wow, that is much worse than mine. I noticed only a 1-2 dbs difference. That sounded like at least 6.
Mine was subtle enough that I didn’t even catch it until I was working on my own music and starting with kick/snares. The reverb kept pulling to one side, then, slowly but surely, I started really noticing it in everything.

Agreed. My wife is not happy that I’m now looking at Genelec to get a similar sound quality :slight_smile:

Same, I hear it with the reverb only slightly but it’s enough to be annoying. I read that the amp is calibrated to each speaker which makes me wonder if somehow some of the amps got mixed up? lol

lol, Total mix main output was slightly panned right…FFS! I have no idea how that happened. I’m trying a power conditioner tomorrow to see if that resolves some of the noise issues.

2 Likes

my power conditioner did not prevent the issue, hope you have better luck

1 Like

My Eggs are back on my desk. Well, maybe someone will understand this sentence in a bad way :laughing:
First I have been frightened by the cardboard, which had been beaten to death and obviously flooded at the bottom, probably during shipment. Fortunately the smaller cardboards were in shape and the gear haven’t suffered.
The amp has been fixed. Case closed. It sounds glorious and the EQ knob isn’t causing any ground noise anymore. There’s a slight noise floor I can live with, and that’s inherent to the design.
G4M has been great at customer service, and Sedgewall as well.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update. Glad you have it fixed! I have heard back from Sedgewall (who have been very nice by email) and am going to take my amp up to Luton (bypassing G4M) for them to look at. They mentioned about the noise floor being standard.
Can you confirm, is the noise floor still highest when the EQ knob is at - and lowest when at +?
Trying to work out how much of mine is the “standard” noise floor and how much is knob related :wink:
Thanks!

Well, the noise floor is unnoticeable when playing music. It’s more like a white noise slightly increasing on - or 0 position. But it’s not as loud as previously. I wonder if the smaller system (Egg 100), which apparently hasn’t this EQ, is quieter. To me, this EQ thing is useless. I can’t really hear any difference but a tad of clarity added on the -/0 position, at the cost of a slight white noise.

2 Likes

Nice to hear that some of you got sorted are getting sorted!

G4M were very helpful and apologetic and have offered a full refund. I feel like the universe may be trying to stop me buying these speakers…either way it wisnae happening.

Thinking I might get them to ship out some KH120’s but a pair of APS Klasik 2020 have come up locally and they look interesting and they’re from a friend and in decent condition.

Anybody on this thread tried APS Klasik 2020 that could comment in relation to the EGGS or just generally? there’s not as much info about them out there.

Honestly think it’s probably for the best given the QC issues people have had, it suggests they might not have great longevity though who knows. Definitely felt like it wasn’t meant to be to me and to be honest the bulky amp was a pain so I’m kind of glad lol

Such a shame as the system was so lovely sounding! I wasn’t convinced by Sedgewall but others have had better experiences.

I just hope I don’t feel underwhelmed by my next set of monitors.

1 Like

I’ve not opened the amp, so I can’t say about internal build quality, but the external is definitely hi-end. So I’m pretty confident about longevity. The main and probably unique issue of the Eggs is the grounding of the EQ. That said, it’s a shame to screw up the whole system with such a basic flaw.

Unpacked mine now:

• No noise from the EQ knob
  • Very low hum / white noise form the speakers - no worse / less than I had on my JBL 305pmk2
  • Haven’t been able to do proper test of the volume balance - listening to some tracks nothing pops out
  • Have to see if I can get used to the lower “presence” of bass - comparing to my small iloud micro they feel like they have so much less bass - but a lot clearer mid/high
1 Like

Yeah I found this a bit underwhelming. The bass was clear I guess though. I guess they’re accurate rather than fun ha

I’d say the bass is ‘accurately shrunk’ on the Eggs. It won’t thump your chest for sure, but It’s really pleasant.

1 Like

They will start to sound better to you once you get used to them and they’ve had some time to burn in a bit.

1 Like

You’ll have much less fun on stage if your mix doesn’t sound fun on your mixing monitors :wink:

2 Likes

Haha very true. Not a situation I’ve had to face yet but maybe one day!

1 Like