Music with lyrics in German

Thank you for all the names, I’ll definitely check them out. And yes, if any more comes to your mind, I’ll be happy to check them out :slight_smile:

I know this one! :slight_smile: Had no idea it’s the band with standing drummer :wink:

1 Like

…ther’s always an extra thin line between super cheesy and full on avangarde when it comes to german lyrics…

aaaand writing songlyrics not in ur mothertongue is always extra anyways…

big respect, if u wanna give it a try…

ärzte…will teach u a good feel for rhyme scemes…
daf…for essential minimalism…

but it’s way harder to nail common sense and art without ending too arty in this language than it is in english, i’m afraid…

if u wanna learn from somebody who truly walks the line here, have a close listen and look at peter fox’s album “stadtaffe”…he’s playing with sense and wording like not many other’s…
he’s also more into electronic with his band seeed…where he’s frequently also crossing language borders and mix it up with english in a very nice way…

if ur into high impact but simple poetic punchlines, also check some rammstein…that’s quite some superglobal german attitude in common music biz…

1 Like

EP by DJ Koze (German ‘techno’ producer)
More of a weird mixtape really, with old TV samples and stuff.
Works great with the video, but some of the satire / cultural references might get lost…

@chaocrator: Hohohoho. :wink:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Back in my punk band playing days we always threw these lads songs into our live sets to open just to confuse folk (also fun to play and sing very bad German at folk)

1 Like

I don’t think I’m ever gonna try to write songs in German. I just want to learn the language more and I think learning it from songs translation gives you more…don’t know really how to phrase it… like more angles you can view it from, than usual text book etc.
In this case, suggestions like yours, about what to look for when dealing with lyrics in foreign launguage, are very helpful. Thanks!

I think this one is the international hit song :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

…i see…i learned my english skills also from songs…not in school that much… :wink:
and i’m even writing songs in english since ages…

but if ur into learning a language, we have an easier way these days…movies…

pick any film u know and just watch it again in the german dubbed version…

1 Like

and this one too.
i like German version much better

1 Like

Two leftist bands, which are talking/singing the whole time, hehe

Rather Indie–Rock / Punk:
Die goldenen Zitronen – Flimmern

Rather Hip Hop:
K.I.Z. – Hurra diese Welt geht unter

1 Like
1 Like

ther’s always an extra thin line between super cheesy and full on avangarde when it comes to German lyrics

agree :slight_smile:
as native speaker you understand every nuance

what’s special for me about the DAF lyrics, it’s super simple language, very clear phrases. this doesn’t mean the content is simple.

I was listening a lot to the cure this week and was thinking about the lyrics. I love the sound of robert smith, but I have to admit that most of the time I don’t understand what the lyrics are about. I guess I get the mood. is this a way of understanding? don’t know.
I was following the words in the booklet and was even more confused. what is he really talking about? using language in a way that is more “poetic” and not just "understandable"has a long tradition, don’t think it makes sense to try to understand every single word, it’s sound and and…

with the cure I have this same feeling between super cheesy and full on avangarde.

anyway it’s quite fascinating how people approach lyrics.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

One of my favourites

2 Likes

Not sure if this counts as German… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

jo, after this one from Goldene Zitronen you‘re pretty much set for surviving pub/club smalltalk :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for so called ‘Wohnzimmer pop’ Absolute fav are Quarks (chase down the remix -Rehmixe- album if you can - absolute killer interpretations from some of your favourite one of the best german electronic artists). Also artists 2Raumwohnung, Paula, Rosenstolz, Klee.
More arty but favourites include Felix Kubin, Der plan, Andreas Dorau
or the king of schmooz Rocko Schamoni

here something from Der Plan - and follow the record label Bureau B if you like kooky electronic

1 Like