New Eventide H90 pedal

So not usable for drum processing? no sidechain in?

No side chain. Donā€™t think itā€™s trying to be a compressor

I use my H9 in kill dry mode as an FX send on my K-Mix. Not for the sound quality (I tested it extensively with a guitar and found no difference in the sound either way), but for the convenience of not having to mute the main signal on the mixer when sending to FX.

Never noticed any latency on the H9 either, and Iā€™m fairly fussy about that.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know, thanks. I think itā€™s when used with drum machines specifically that any latency issues become really noticeable. Iā€™ll report back next week :+1:

2 Likes

Not surprised Emily the harp player wants to keep hers

2 Likes

I spent about the same on just a Timeline and Night Sky. I also miss my H9 Max.

This would be amazing.

I originally picked up two H9s for live percussion with a Nord Drum 2 + Pad, and the latency varies depending on the algorithm - most of them were more than okay for live playing, but some were quite noticeable. It only really became unusable with two higher latency algorithms running in series. If the latency is improved, that would be a real plus.

Also, I was never able to successfully sequence MICI CCs on my H9s. The MIDI would always hang and become unresponsive after a while, even if I filtered out all irrelevant MIDI information. Thankfully MIDI sync and program changes worked seamlessly, but lack of modulation/automation of CCs with external gear or a DAW was a real letdown on the original H9s, certainly not dependable for a live situation - and when I did get to work, there was a lot of stepping/poor resolution. If this is improved, then thatā€™s also a major step upā€¦

Four effects at onceā€¦

So these have the capacity to run four algorithms at once, supposedly in order to have seamless transitions from any of the two available algorithms to any other algorithms, with a full reverb tail etcā€¦ But what about an optional mode to sacrifice the fancy transitions and run four full-fat algorithms in series, all at once? Now that would be something special, a very obvious feature to add in an updateā€¦

7 Likes

Seriously thoughā€¦ for that price just go buy a used Virus TI desktop. I have owned Strymonā€™ H9 and the Virus. Despite being ancient? Somehow the Virus TI effects sound just as good. The reverb is fantastic, and theres like 50 distortions to pick from. Not to mention you also get an entire 16 patch multitimbral synth.

4 Likes

For free I would keep it, too. :upside_down_face:

Thanks for finding that. You saved me au$1,600 :money_mouth_face:

I can understand how their excuses apply to real-time pitch shifting, but for delay, modulation and reverb it makes no difference if thereā€™s micro or millisecond delay or slight phase shifts.

1 Like

To me itā€™s not that clear how many effects you can use at onceā€¦ Only two? Two in series for one stereo in/out and one in parallel for each stereo in/out or two effects for each stereo in/out?

1 Like

Yes, only two.

In what ever configuration you want, but only ever two at once.

Cheers!

3 Likes

As would I.

Based on what I have seen in some past gear reviews, Emily Hopkins would likely have to pay if she decided to not send the H90 back to Eventide.

1 Like

It can work with insert fx, that is very welcome, i have the original H9 but i mostly record dry, and process later, i tend to use fx sparsly, so not sure how i feel about it. its missing sequencable fx in my opinion to set it really apart, or i am just to spoiled with shaperbox, which is absolutley fantastic. It can make a cheap synth sound huge, but it makes it sound a bit ā€¦ hmm like samey.

Two algorithms.

On the H9, some algorithms include more than one effect, eg. ModEchoVerb which is chorus/flanger, delay and reverb, and Spacetime which is modulation, 2 delays, and reverb with more signal routing options than ModEchoVerb.

H90 supposedly runs the same algorithms though Eventide claims better this and that on the H90

1 Like

@Hlecktro:

@Muu: ā€œHold my beerā€¦ā€

10 Likes

Yes wellā€¦ arenā€™t I feeling exposed now eh

1 Like

:joy:

Sorry;)