New, knobby SID synth

I got the tracking number yesterday as well. :+1:

@neilvaldwin Didn’t know about droNES. Looking forward to learning it (after more NTRQ focus)!

Oh no!! I checked in on my delivery status today and it says it’s been delivered but there’s nothing here at my house. FAAAARKKK!!! :sob:

Darn!!! I hope it’s just with a neighbor or something.

My order “shipped” 5 days ago but according to the tracking it hasn’t been taken to the post office yet. Anybody else?

Same here. Mine gave me a message that there is a delay in shipment because they are still trying to catch up after the air France strike.

Me too. Though I would have thought I would have heard from them by now - or it would be left outside my door inside the apartment block…

Turns out it was delivered to a shop down the street. Collected. Now at work wishing I was at home. Can’t wait!!

YEAH!

Phew, I was worried for ya there! Hate it when that happens; then again most of my neighbours are complete douchebags…

I’m keen to hear some opinions/demos so don’t be shy with upping some audio/video once you’ve got it out of the box.

Anyone from the US get theirs yet?

Good good!

Mine is somewhere in transit.

Got mine just now, still at work.
Have to wait.

Wondering if you’ve (or anyone else) managed to fire yours up? I ordered the Therapsid with the AY3 but only got one power adapter… bit scared to plug it in until I know which box it’s for. The power adapter came in a baggie and has the following rating…

Output: 15v = 1A
[-] — [• — [] <—— sorry bad diagram, but I mean positive on the current(?)[/]

OK - I checked in the manuals on the Twisted Electrons site - the adapter is good for both. Will do for now though a second would be better. Could also do with being a lot longer.

Initial thoughts. Wild. Unpredictable. Characterful. I think this might need quite a lot of taming. Sounds fun so far though.

[EDITED as it’s gotten louder] But the synth seems to keep holding it’s note - like it’s stuck. At first it was quite quiet but after unplugging and plugging back in it’s a lot louder and there’s no way to silence it. Wasn’t expecting that. Interested to know how others sound in comparison. [EDIT]

Will keep playing.

OH/

Nice. What are you using to control it?

thanks for the report OHEXOH !

would love some sound bites soon!

I think controlling it would be an over statement. Seems to have a bit of a mind of it’s own. Currently trying to get it to play notes via MIDI from the Octatrack and it’s not really responding very well / at all.

Have a feeling it might be broken. :dizzy_face:

Oh no. Try using a generic 25 key midi keyboard and see if that works.

Is there an on/off switch or do you simply just unplug it?

I’ve plugged it into Push and I can play notes on it with that but there’s still stuck notes and just odd things happening. Kinda feels like I have no control over what sound is being made.

I’ve emailed Alex from Twisted. Hopefully he can shed some light. If anyone else gets theirs, let me know how you get on.

There’s no off / on switch - just a cable to power it, in for on. Out for off.

The AY3 on the other hand is working very well and it’s hooked up to the OT and Push and working like a charm. And runs quiet.

EX/

I just got mine delivered to me while I was home for lunch.
I have the exact issue you have with not being able to silence it.
If i turn the tuning knobs I can hear the oscillators changing pitch, it’s just at a very low volume. I would really love to be able to get an explanation for this, as it is annoying. I hope it doesn’t get louder as it seems to have gotten for you.
I wonder if the power adapter is causing it? Mine came with an american ac-adapter along with a converter to a euro plug (got to wonder why we didn’t just get an EU-ac adapter to start with).
It does however respond to midi when I am playing it. I’m using an Arturia Beatstep to play it right now. It sounds good when I am hitting notes, but the fact that it keeps holding notes while I’m not playing is very annoying.

I will play around with it some more after work if I have time.

Same problem here… Low volume and low control.
Did anyone have a response from Alex yet?

I spoke with Alex and apparently it’s a bug with some SID chips and their VCA. They need a capacitor added into the signal flow to silence it. The other solution is to replace the SID chip with a newer version.

He is sending me a replacement chip to fix the issue. Drop him a line.

OH/