New Modor drum machine - DR2

I was pretty sure there were improvements. I adjust slowly. Good call

Yeah I think the workflow has matured and improved vastly, the DR2 really is a well thought out and great sounding machine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure you can on the DR-2, I just never explored it. :slight_smile:

And yes, you can link patterns and kits on the Pērkons. No way Iā€™d do that though, so much joy in using patterns with different kits. :smiley:

Must try this, I typically setup a new kit for a session and during that Iā€™ll swap out sounds and change the pattern. I rarely save during that because the session is pretty much a stand alone thing which I then overdub. But I can see the fun to be had with this method. Cheers

Anyone know if the DR2ā€™s sequencer will follow a swung external midi clock?

If it did I would definately sync it to tempest. That swing is awesome. I find OT swing a bit rubbish.

2 Likes

Whoa, i didnt even know you could comunicate swing through clock

Man the hate at the beginning of the thread is super funny to me. And the comparisons! This box has nothing to do with either the tr8s or digitakt. I have a tr8s but itā€™s not a synthesis device itā€™s more a midi controller with a romper. Maybe you could argue a syntakt rytm or tempest is a better deal but they are all quite different machines. The most comparable Dr machine is the lxr02 but Iā€™d just prefer the layout and sound demos on this.

That out of the way Im considering getting one of these: i like the layout, sound and visual design. I have a MPC live2 for coop. Iā€™m only kinda torn if I want to get/try this or the pulsar first. Iā€™m drawn to this one rn because of the immediacy/simplicity.

1 Like

exiting lurk mode brieflyā€¦ i keep tabs on this thread once in a whileā€¦ glad to see more love for the DR2.

itā€™s a phenomenal drum synth. as i said in my perfect circuit review, itā€™s basically what nord should have made two decades ago. supremely happy with the rapid pace of bug fix/new features - i knew p-locks were on the way, didnā€™t realize os007 had dropped already, amazing!!

marcel is also super communicative and responsive to new ideas - i may have had a hand in suggesting something like the tilt eq! great to have that relationship with the developer - certainly itā€™s quite the investment monetarily.

i actually also just tried a perkons - bought and now selling it, took me about 30 minutes to realize it was already covering ground that i had with the DR2, and that the differential was much more aggressive than i needed. certainly a beast of a machine though - but i thought it might be more complementary than overlapping.

these last two years have been fantastic for new interesting percussion boxes.

cheers.

7 Likes

I e changed my approach with the DR2. Previously it was always sequenced from OT so could use those tricks. Now Iā€™m much more hands on with it and it really opens up the sound design and tweaking. Worth spending time to get tuplets and stuff down, and I can see the comparison with Perkins is more relevant now.

1 Like

Very true, heā€™s an extremely nice guy to deal with. I suggested adding chord memory on the NF1 and he put it on there on the next os upgrade

1 Like

Marcel is AWESOME. I bought my DR-2 second hand but Marcel understood is was still within warranty and did some repairs for me, making it good as new, upgrading the OS and more. Super quick email responses too. Such an awesome guy.

4 Likes

Pit this in the pulsar thread and thought why not put it here too.

3 Likes

I hear ya which is why I picked up an Rytm MK2 as my core drum synth. I can sample modular drums to it and not worrry about wires and cable issues. Love modular but patch cables for live are tricky and also patch memory.

New DR-2 009 OS soon to be released!

New features:

• Random drum pattern generation
  • A new snaredrum model, the ā€˜Electroā€™ snare
  • MIDI NRPN reception for all the parameters that didnā€™t have a dedicated MIDI Control Change yet
  • Loading and saving of patterns and drumsets now happens in a 'background process ', and no longer disturbs the sequencer and synchronization.
  • You can now copy/paste single sequencer steps , including their parameter locks.
  • Instrument focus: Keep DRUMSET down and press an instrument button Aā€¦F to lock focus on that instrument for parameter edition and step sequencing
  • Removal of disturbing click sounds in certain situation

Here is a video from the man himself, showing how most of it works.

13 Likes

EXCELLENT! DR-2, the drum synth that keeps on giving. Marcel is amazing, so helpful and responsive.

2 Likes

I got to say that DR-2 is so far my favorite drummachine ive owned. Havent tried many at all but this one really hits the ā€sweetā€ spot for me. :blush:

4 Likes

God, the DR-2 just keeps getting better!

1 Like

Solid update. Step copy is something Iā€™ve wanted for sure. The random option is different from what I hoped but makes sense and Iā€™m keen to try it. The snares are my least used (same for most drum machines I seem to be sensitive to snare sounds) so another option is great.

1 Like

Dang it!! Tought the firmware was out allready but i cant find it :grin: