New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

So I may need to rescind my glowing recommendation of this interface. This is my 2nd one that has had the bottom row of input jacks start to crap out on me. Without a bit of pressure on them, they keep dropping out. I’m waiting for a call from MOTU support. It sucks, because this is the perfect interface for my needs. Even the RME, which is almost 3x as much, is lacking certain things. Ugh.

Are you plugging/ unplugging a lot?

Not even remotely.

1 Like

Damm …that not good

Spoke to MOTU yesterday. They think I may have a bad batch. They’re gonna replace it.

4 Likes

could any of ULmk5 owners please tell me if the package includes international power outlet adapters? like EU/US etc.?
I’ve seen on some screenshots (Thomann/Sweetwater) that it has them but I want to order from BHPhoto and they don’t have it advertised, so I wonder if that’s something included in all packages?

I have 2 of them (from Bax and Thomann) and both have international adapter.

1 Like

thanks! the weird thing is that I’ve posted a question on bhphoto and the staff answered that it doesn’t have them, I thought that maybe the box contents vary for each vendor. I think they maybe misunderstood my question or something…

whole set of adapters just as in your picture.

They’re boxed into the original packaging, so doubt you could buy it without the full set even if you tried.

NB - I’m in the UK.

1 Like

How is the replacement holding up?

Turns out it was the cables I was using! Certain GLS branded cables seem to have bigger separator rings between the TRS parts and it was causing dropouts. It happened with a few different cables. Works totally fine with others, and then half fine with a few various ones. Very annoying.

5 Likes

That’s a relief though.

That’s downright criminal.

woooooooooooooooooow

Yeah. I actually measured them with a micrometer and the Hosa patch cables that worked had plastic insulator rings of 1.1 and 1.5 mm, the GLS had 2.4 and 2.6 mm. I never had issues with them with my Focusrite stuff, though, so I have no idea.

2 Likes

ok so I’ve ordered one for myself and I have another question, I have no experience with modular / CV at all, but I know my ARmk2 has a CV IN that I can use, does anyone use the outputs as CV modulation? like sending CV from Ableton or something?

do I need specific cables or the regular TRS cables I use for audio should work fine?

I believe on the Rytm you have a couple of different options to choose for the CV inputs - some unipolar some bipolar and some using trs and some only ts I believe. So I believe you can just try without breaking something.

Since Eurorack CV is just TS, I would first try a ts (instrument) cable myself, if you have one. But trs might work just the same.

(*Not responsible for any breakage;)

1 Like

for the Motu to send cv, get these cables:
Expert Sleepers FR-200 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm TS Floating Ring Cable

3 Likes

I have this same issue but, like you, it’s with certain cables. My quality TRS cables are fine. It’s when I use my TS mini to TS 1/4 inch cables to run euro rack in that gives me this problem. The cable quality is the obvious issue.

I’ve been super happy with this interface otherwise.

That’s the thing, though. GLS cables are usually pretty good, to my knowledge. I don’t know why their measurements are different than other brands, though.