New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

I also had issues with cables, pretty annoying. I was wondering if you have a recommendation for cables that actually work (super) well?
Apart from that I really love the ease of routing and plan to set it up in a patch bay. However, some of my cheap TRS cables from the big big store with a T (based in Germany) gave me issues as well.

I generally use these cables from Long and McQuade as they come with a lifetime warranty. This tier of cable from them are really well-made:

The cables I had issues with are these ones. I use them for bringing 1/4" into and out of euro rack. They work fine with everything but the bottom row of the MOTU UL5 interface:

1 Like

Hosa cables have worked great for me.

1 Like

Isn’t it odd how it’s only the bottom row?!? Dah fuq!?

2 Likes

I just requested an RMA for my Motu since I tried various cables and still get flakey behaviour. If I wiggle and replug stuff it mostly works fine but only for one session, switching the Motu off seems to require wiggling the cable again to work. All my cables work fine with other gear. The Motu I got was a B-Stock, maybe they had a bad batch after all and I only realized the issue when I wired everything into a patchbay. Kinda annoying as in theory and once it works, it is a great interface.

I’ve received mine today, first thing I did is test all my cables with the line inputs, so far zero issues and everything seems to be a-ok, I have Hosa HSS REAN and Boss BIC-1AA patch cables.

great interface btw :smiley:

anyone knows if it’s possible to use cuemix ipad app while the interface connected to a mac? there’s some ip I can enter but it doesn’t work with the default one

1 Like

Just ordered one of these from Moog Audio. This is a huge interface upgrade for me. How are the built-in DSP effects?

so what is everyone doing about connecting the outputs to unbalanced gear?

This interface is remarkable for the ability to connect within Cuemix, and the multiple ins/outs letting you send audio signals from any hardware all around. really great

… except, if you don’t want the signal to distort when outputting to unbalanced gear, you apparently must only use TRS cables with the ring disconnected. which means either using a bunch of cables with the tip and ring separated out and leaving the ring disconnected, which means you have an extra unconnected cable flopping around the back for every single output… or getting custom-made cables because no such ready-made consumer product exists…

This seems… for what seems like a consumer-oriented product, almost unbelievable to me?
Does everyone just ignore the issue and use TS cables anyway? Everyone is buying custom-made cable? Or just a mass of splitter cables tangling up the back of this unit?

I’ve been using these TRS cables, and have been happy with them.

@slowdev I’m not sure what you’re referring to, I have not heard any unwanted distortion by routing to my devices. I send audio from the MOTU to my ST, DN, Iridium, and PRO3. I posted a video about it above in this thread : New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced! - #343 by Gino

1 Like

I also haven’t noticed any distortion just sending a balanced trs cable out to an unbalanced effect and back. I have been using splitters to float the ring when sending cv to eurorack though. It’s a bit clumsy feeling but it works great and I’ve got my ultralite racked so I don’t have to look at all the janky looking cables!

1 Like

in the manual they say, pg 23: Quarter-inch line outputs are not cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the ring disconnected. Not floating the negative terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and cause distortion.

so not a problem for connecting gear with balanced inputs.

2 Likes

so, did anyone noticed that Cuemix 5 uses lots and lots of bandwidth for no reason?
I’ve noticed that it sends something at first and I thought that it might be a callout to check for updates, but looking closely I can see that it’s too much, so either their updates callout is not optimized or the software sends some telemetry.
I’m kind of a person that don’t like to be monitored without my consent, and there was no such mention in the SLA to my knowledge, maybe I missed it?
still, the software sends ~100mb in 12 hours, so what happens if I use the mac somewhere remote and use cellular to connect? that’s a lot of traffic…
anyway, I’ve opened a ticket with MOTU asking them if this is a bug or telemetry thing, because damn, 12 hours of simple update callout should not reach this high download bandwidth…

here’s an example of Cuemix 5 usage compared to Dropbox/Firefox with open web apps that use data constantly in ~15 hours uptime. keep this in mind if you take your ULmk5 somewhere remote and use cellphone to be a modem for your laptop and you have limited data package…

EDIT: MOTU responded and clarified that this traffic does not actually goes out, it’s just between the Cuemix 5 and the MOTUWebSocketProxy process, one is being the driver and the other is the controlling software, now I can relax :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update to my story: I sent it to Thomann with an error description, mentioning my drop outs are not always there, it got sent to their local MOTU service partner. They did a long time test not confirming any issues with this device of mine, it is now on its way back to me.
So, any EU based users have a recommendation for cables that work with this device, obviously everything I have amassed in the last 15 years are cables not worthy the picky connectors of the Ultralite mk5. In general short cables would be good as I would like to use it with a Samson patchbay to avoid replugging anything.

I’ve used the HOSA cables with no issues at all. Also, contact MOTU support directly They’ll take care of it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, do you mean these: Hosa TTS-830 – Musikhaus Thomann?
T. sent it to the German service partner doing the service for MOTU, so I guess I will be now doing annoying little movies for them trying to show my issues again. Sigh. I regret buying a B-Stock and not testing it inside out right away but waiting for 4 months to connect other outputs then the Main one and using inputs other than the front ones. You live, you learn, I guess. Kinda hard to not become a moaning entitled sounding prick about this issue but I’d really love to spend my energy on something else. Anyway, I really appreciate help in regards to cables from you guys!

I have a bunch of different kinds of HOSA cables, so I’d assume all of them would work fine.

1 Like

I received mine yesterday and upon attempting to update the firmware for the first time the device crashed / powered off and will not power up again. I’m using the included power supply and USB cable.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I have a ticket out with MOTU support. Pretty irritated - not a great first impression. I have never had this issue with any other piece of hardware I’ve purchased.

I’ve got mine about a month ago and installed everything with 0 issues, motu did release a new update sometime this month but it also was installed properly.
maybe something with the unit… btw did you use cuemix to upate?

1 Like

yeah probably a hardware issue. I did use CueMix to update. thanks for the response! working with Motu support.

2 Likes

Just following up that their tech support was able to help me resolve my issue and it’s now working! It was locked up in firmware update mode. The issue actually ended up being trying to update it through my CalDigit dock.

1 Like