New OTO Mixer - Bébé Chérie

I love the small size and how it looks, finally a non-ugly mixer that doesn’t look like a cyborg from a 60s film.

Those mini inputs though… I would rather have less tracks but normal jacks. Really disappointing for me there.
(This trend for mini inputs gives me weird vibes for the future of music gear)

I hope it’s successful and we start seeing more cute mixers.

2 Likes

I can almost understand then on a little mixer like this, but I don’t buy anything with mini inputs/outputs (or trs midi) anymore.

What’s the concern about stereo mini jacks? Does it have anything to do with sound quality or is it just the finicky nature of having to use a bunch of adapters?

Looks like Bastl are cooking up a stereo dude mixer, so this market is getting hot :fire:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoFa53Ktzv7/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

9 Likes

I was asking myself the same precise question: any impact on sound?

I have a number of mini-jack devices and I never noticed anything - although I have to say I’m definitely not a pro

That’s cool, hopefully Bastl gets crazy with it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s just people not wanting to have to use, or buy new cables or adapters. And with a mixer like this, multiply that by however many inputs and outputs, and it might get a little expensive if you aren’t already stocking the goods. It could also be a convenience thing if you are away from the studio.

Doesn’t the Dude also work with 1/8 jacks?

It might have some Thyme features in it :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I’m getting all worked up just think about that!

1 Like

I think it is a mix of the adapters and potential durability issues… although from my experience I think you can do just fine making durable stuff in that jack size, there is just precedent for it not to be as well built.

For me, not an audio thing (a wire is a wire). It’s a mechanical damage thing.

Cables have two parts, the long, stringy part and the short stiff part. The long stringy part can be quite long and therefore act like an extra large lever on the short stiff part (often at a right angle to the jack, which is very efficient from a transfer of force perspective and very inefficient from a jack-not-breaking one).

There are only two things that can make that short stiff part more durable to these stresses. Make it longer (to cut down on the ratio between the cord and the jack) or make it thicker (to require more force to bend or break). 1/8” jacks do the opposite of both of these.

Plus, in any sort of application with movement involved, this is a non-starter. Can you imagine a telecaster with a 1/8” jack? It’d snap like a twig.

1/8 jacks get by where there are very short runs of light wire (i.e. Walkman to headphone) or where it gets wired up and never touched again (back of rack hookups come to mind which, ironically, are still pretty exclusively 1/4”).

Synth audio and midi cables send to be long and heavy. And while I’m not slinging my synths over my shoulder like a keytar, I do swap them on and off my desk frequently enough that the robustness of my few 1/8 jacks is a concern. If I forget to unplug one of those and go to whisk it off the table, something could break in an expensive way :frowning:

8 Likes

So happy to see this product space heating up.

It is time!!!

Let’s hope for audio over USB though :wink:

1 Like

From what I recall reading, this was made as a reaction to microcontroller shortages as something that could be released with available parts instead of the… harmonizer(?) they are developing alongside but would have had issues producing at any scale.

Still would be very nice though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah i know I’m dreaming. It’s going to be purely stand alone with just stereo out to headphones/3.5mm out.

It’s just good that there’s attention in this space now. :wink:

1 Like

Audio over usb per channel would be amazing. I tried to find out if this could function as an audio interface replacement, but didn’t see anything in the manual…

Elevator Sound is now taking pre-orders

8 Likes

:flushed:wtf

3 Likes

The fuck and shock picture. Good choice?

3 Likes

$780 USD is too much for this thing. No thanks.

Especially with no audio over USB. Guess I’ll keep waiting for a 6 Channel Stereo Mixer with audio over USB to show up sometime with a better form factor than the TX-6😁

Yeah i know I’m a dreamer :crazy_face:

9 Likes