New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Based on how attentive they were with the 404MKII when it came out, I bet it’ll get a lot of small improvements over the first few months.

I’ve got one on order in the EU, so I appreciate your early reporting from the front.

2 Likes

how do you like the sound of it?
Compared to the MCs?

Yes, let’s hope this behaviour gets improved but it’s not certain as it’s been that way on the MC-707 for over a year (since they added the arp) despite lots of people complaining about it.

I just thought I’d share my thoughts (both positive and negative) as it’s something none of the synthfluencers cared to mention :roll_eyes:

Other than this I’m really enjoying it so far

1 Like

It’s sound really good.

Same engine as the MCs so sounds similar if I’m honest, it’s just a lot quicker to dial in your own sounds. It’s definitely more fun and intuitive to program.

3 Likes

Have you tried sequencing it externally?

I‘m not sure if it‘s the same engine.
I know it‘s all based on zencore, but as far as I know, the jupiter xm/x had better analog modeling than the MC grooveboxes. A different VA Synth (they called it ABM, which the MCs lack)

1 Like

Not yet, going to hook it up to my Syntakt later to see how program changes are handled

2 Likes

I don’t have the MC-707 to compare but to my ears they sound similar.

Edit: the filter sounds really good

2 Likes

From my understanding ABM is still using ZenCore but it’s using Model Expansions beyond basic ZenCore that add the behaviour of the particular device.

2 Likes

Good to know. Arps are quite important to me and I hate the non-synced arps on boutiques.

1 Like

Hmm, it is maybe a little unfinished looking, like a moog werkstatt or a diy kit or something. Aira stuff, well was clearly someone’s vision even if most people dislike the green.

Scan are a funny one, I managed to get the Dreadbox Typhon from there significantly cheaper than any of the usual music stores and more obvious places. They seem to have a very limited range of synths and music gear but well priced.
One to keep an eye on

1 Like

Lots of people complaining (like me) but last time I mentioned how awful the arp was on the 707 I got shot down on the 707 FB group, by people that seem to think it’s perfect
(which it clearly bloody isn’t!!)
But I agree, I think Roland are incapable of seeing what is wrong with it, so it won’t get fixed.

One workaround on the 707 is to set the clip you are recording into, into “stop” mode, so it won’t loop and you don’t overdub your notes. Not sure that’s an option on the SH-4D

I’m live with the SH-4d!

Join me for my “First Play and Q&A” :slight_smile:

https://youtube.com/live/KtO1GmyhCOg?feature=share

(be gentle I’ve never live streamed before, hope it works!)

7 Likes

I’m on, sounds great :raised_hands:

1 Like

@x0x I can hear you speaking on the stream.

(You asked people to confirm but I can’t comment on the YouTube page)

1 Like

I personally think it looks awesome. I’m not crazy about the round buttons being glossy, I’d prefer matte ones, but that’s about it.

I never use the MC-101 arpeggiator because of this. I guess Roland has to be Roland at the end of the day. :see_no_evil:

BoBeats mentioned this in his review and wish list in the end, and Roland tends to listen to the synthfluencers, so they will likely add it in a firmware update.

That was my impression from the demos too. More interesting than the MC-101 filters to my ears (though the MC offers different filters).

3 Likes

thanks

I dislike arps with pasion so no problem for me. The sh101 style sequencer is all I need :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Been listening, really helpful! If you get a minute and can post a photo of it sat next to your ST you mentioned up thread that would really helpful to get a sense of how big it is comparatively. Cheers!

2 Likes